Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013

cthoops is on a distinguished road
Re: Tohatsu troubles

We're going to give it a go at cleaning the carb ourselves this weekend when we're down at the boat. Hopefully giving the carb a good clean will take care of it.

We also found a place to get ethanol-free gas approx. 60 miles from here. Frankly, if that's what's causing the problem we will gladly make that drive with a few 10-gallon portable tanks to stock up!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013

jefuchs is on a distinguished road
If you drive that far, and stockpile that much gas, you'll find yourself using very old gas in your motor, which can also cause problems. One advantage to a four stroke is that you can burn off your gas in your truck and never use old fuel for the outboard. Do you really want to take a chance on last year's gas stranding you in the bay?

I'd keep looking for a local source, or better, add a fuel treatment like seafoam.
Smier likes this.
Old 07-09-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

The one problem I had was when I forgot to drain the carb on my Honda 2 HP 4 stroke outboard. The float bowl was full of nasty debris. I have a Honda generator that I replace the fuel once a year. It starts right up on the year old fuel. Did have a small problem with debris or a stuck float but not sure it was because of old fuel, maybe stuff in the tank, it is over 20 years old. I do, however, drain the carbs on my outboards, snow blower and generator. Running them dry leaves a small bit of fuel in the bowl.

I have also used this for many years:

B-12 Chemtool® Carburetor, Fuel System and Injector Cleaner | Berryman Products

FWIW, I bought a new Tohatsu 6HP 4 stroke about 2 years ago. Use it a lot, ran/runs perfectly right out of the box at 6,000 feet elevation, no tweaks or adjustments necessary.

Paul T

Last edited by dabnis; 07-09-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-09-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

We always make sure we use Ethanol free gas in our Tohatsu. And we still add fuel treatment to lengthen the life of the fuel. I have the same year but a 6hp version and it has be flawless,,,,,so far.

If possible, don't stock pile gas, even ethanol free goes bad in no time at all. Most all fuel docks have ethanol free gas.
Old 07-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Our 4 hp Tahatsu has been flawless. Clean gas...like clean diesel is the key

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-10-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

JUst bought a new carb for our 2009 20hp Tohatsu that flipped in Hurricane Sandy. It now runs like new. I figure that will give me plenty of time to clean the old carb, and it was relatively inexpensive (10% of the cost of a new engine).

In prior years, we had a problem that we had to "rev" the engine constantly (like motorcyle riders do, up and down rapidly with the rpms). I'd be curious to hear whether your engine needs "rev-ing". When we replaced the gas the problems went away. remember to drain the bad gas out of the hose too.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 07-10-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

I heard that plastic gas tanks deteriorate and clog carbs.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 07-10-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
I heard that plastic gas tanks deteriorate and clog carbs.

Regards,
Brad
I can only speak from my own experience of having plastic tanks on many motorcycles and outboards for over 40 years. the only fuel related problems I have had were related to forgetting to drain the carb for long periods of time.

There are probably many different types of plastic tanks so it may be a possibility? If they deteriorate you could probably see the debris in the tank or they may start to leak?, which would be very bad, especially with a permanently mounted tank.

Paul T
Old 07-10-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthoops View Post
We're going to give it a go at cleaning the carb ourselves this weekend when we're down at the boat. Hopefully giving the carb a good clean will take care of it.

We also found a place to get ethanol-free gas approx. 60 miles from here. Frankly, if that's what's causing the problem we will gladly make that drive with a few 10-gallon portable tanks to stock up!
Your motor is rated at 1 gallon per hour fuel burn at 5500 rpm. That said you can run at full throttle for about 3 hours on a tank of gas. In reality you will not be running nearly that much gas through it. I wouldn't stock up on a bunch of bulk fuel unless you have some other gasoline sucking equipment to use it in.
Old 07-10-2013

polaris2.11 is on a distinguished road

rhr1956 -

We usually run our 8hp Tohatsu with the throttle just cracked open and it quietly pushes our 24' boat along at around 3.5 kt in smooth water. In rougher conditions, we might open it up a bit more. Only when pushing into pretty heavy wind (30+ kt) and sea do we have to open it to maybe half throttle. Do you have any idea what the fuel consumption might be under low throttle conditions?

I've been figuring maybe 1/2 gallon per hour, but haven't been able to find any good information. It would be good to know to get an idea of our motoring range.