Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Re: Tohatsu troubles

My wife just rescued our Tohatsu gas tank from the sun. She said there was a lot of pressure in it when she loosened the cap. Crap, dogged a bullet on that one, it's always humbling when I realize what an idiot I can be at times. Jeeezzzz.

It never occurred to me that the valve was one way.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
My wife just rescued our Tohatsu gas tank from the sun. She said there was a lot of pressure in it when she loosened the cap. Crap, dogged a bullet on that one, it's always humbling when I realize what an idiot I can be at times. Jeeezzzz.

It never occurred to me that the valve was one way.
I wonder if the tank manufacturers conducted a failure test with the one way vent caps? As far as I could see, there was just the small one way valve in the middle of the cap. The one time I left it in the sun there was a LOT of pressure in the tank.

Has anyone had a tank split or leak because of the excess pressure that can develop?

Paul T
Old 07-14-2013

cthoops is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to post an update.

Today Mr. Cthoops and I removed the carb, sprayed it with carb cleaner (black, dirty stuff was definitely coming out), used a can of air to dry it out, emptied the external fuel tank into the car, put brand new gas into the fuel tank, and added a different carb product to the gas (can't remember the exact name right now, but it's supposed to keep the jets clean). We also changed the spark plug for good measure (the old one was looking kind of dirty).

After putting the carb back in, we crossed our fingers and started it up. It's purring like a kitten. I don't think its sounded this quiet and smooth since we bought the boat in April!

This was the first time either one of us had done anything resembling outboard maintenance, so we are pretty darn proud of ourselves. Everyone was right - it really wasn't that hard. And we didn't drop anything in the water!! Hopefully this will be the last of our outboard issues for the rest of the season.

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement.
Old 07-14-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Hey Congrats! Told ya so didn't we? You save yourself a $100 and taught yourself something at the same time, I love when that happens.

I had been agonizing over my battery project but eventually I just started doing it and I know where everything is and how it works.

Cheers
cthoops and Pegu club like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthoops View Post
Just wanted to post an update.

Today Mr. Cthoops and I removed the carb, sprayed it with carb cleaner (black, dirty stuff was definitely coming out), used a can of air to dry it out, emptied the external fuel tank into the car, put brand new gas into the fuel tank, and added a different carb product to the gas (can't remember the exact name right now, but it's supposed to keep the jets clean). We also changed the spark plug for good measure (the old one was looking kind of dirty).

After putting the carb back in, we crossed our fingers and started it up. It's purring like a kitten. I don't think its sounded this quiet and smooth since we bought the boat in April!

This was the first time either one of us had done anything resembling outboard maintenance, so we are pretty darn proud of ourselves. Everyone was right - it really wasn't that hard. And we didn't drop anything in the water!! Hopefully this will be the last of our outboard issues for the rest of the season.

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement.
Good for you!!, Thanks for the feedback. Suggest you drain the carb if it is going to sit more than a week or two.

Paul T
Old 07-16-2013
Solina 27

Sternik is on a distinguished road

Having 2009 Tohatsu 9.8hp for the last 4 seasons, the only real problem I came across is the upper cylinder having tendency to flood, which subsequently fairly quickly tends to foul the spark plug - I always carry two new with me (they get changed each season regardless of condition). The engine (my experience) does not like any other plugs than the NGK. I have tried once Champion equivalent and Bosch (I was told these were equivalents), and run into a lot of uneven idle, hesitation and poor performance. Do very carefully gap the plugs to specifications - failure (again, my experience) caused poor operation and misfire. I change fuel filter after each season and add fuel stabiliser to the last tank of fuel of the season. I have disassembled carburetor this spring and found it in surprisingly clean condition - bottom line is the fuel quality. Besides that, the motor so far is rock-solid and my fuel usage is about 1.2-1.5l/hr at about 60% throttle.
Old 08-07-2013

cthoops is on a distinguished road

At the risk of jinxing myself, I thought I would post this update so that it might help someone in the future.

We thought that after cleaning the carb and changing the spark plug our troubles were fixed because the outboard idled smoothly on the mooring. Unfortunately when we actually put it in gear and headed out we discovered that while the symptoms had improved somewhat, the engine still wasn't happy.

Someone on this forum had suggested it was likely either the carb or the fuel lines, so we replaced the lines running from the external fuel tank to the outboard (including the lines leading to and from the separator filter), and this included a new primer bulb. I'm thinking perhaps the PO had used the lines from the previous, smaller outboard because the new ones seemed more robust and "bigger". Regardless, they likely needed to be replaced because when Mr. Cthoops started to remove the old line from the separator filter, it immediately split in half.

Anyway, I don't know if the lines weren't large enough or there was gunk that had built up in them, but the bottom line is we've taken the boat out twice since replacing all of this and the outboard has truly never sounded better. It's quieter and runs ever-so-smooth. I am SO relieved!

Thanks again for the advice, everyone.
T37Chef likes this.
Old 08-07-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
I have the same exact setup.

Wow, thanks Paul T, it never occurred to me that the valve was one way. My dink and motor have been sitting in the sun all week. I just sent my wife down to the boat to check the gas tank, damn. I should have thought about that.
The new epa-compliant tanks will hold pressure up to something between 5 and 7 PSI. They will swell visibly, but have been tested to hold this pressure. T

The pressure your wife saw might have seemed a lot, but may have been within the designed range. Still, it's not good practice to let the tank sit in the sun.

A vital part of the safety of these tanks is not over-filling them - they need some air space at the top of the tank.

http://www.moellermarine.com/sites/m..._epa_tanks.pdf
Old 08-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
The new epa-compliant tanks will hold pressure up to something between 5 and 7 PSI. They will swell visibly, but have been tested to hold this pressure. T

The pressure your wife saw might have seemed a lot, but may have been within the designed range. Still, it's not good practice to let the tank sit in the sun.

A vital part of the safety of these tanks is not over-filling them - they need some air space at the top of the tank.

http://www.moellermarine.com/sites/m..._epa_tanks.pdf
Interesting link, apparently they will vent outwards at about 7 lbs, which seems like a lot? As mentioned in an earlier post, I modified my cap to vent both ways, which was a mistake as it appears the primer bulb doesn't work well without pressure in the tank?

If you don't want to be sprayed with gas when disconnecting the hose, just loosen the cap first. I just ordered a replacement cap for the cap I modified, about a $50 mistake.

Paul T
Old 08-08-2013

sebez is on a distinguished road

Just as a side note, Tohatsu is the manufacturer of all small outboards. They build them and badge them as Suzuki, Mercury, Evinrude etc. Kepp your fuel clean and run them periodically. I dont drain the bowl or let it run dry and I also use alcohol free fuel with stabilizer.