Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Grease on Propeller for Anti Fouling?

The idea with Lanoline (grease from sheeps wool) is you heat the prop first and then apply the Lanoline. Then you can recoat it whilst in the water.

I havent done it yet, but will thins time as propspeed et al is lousy unless a new prop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
The idea with Lanoline (grease from sheeps wool) is you heat the prop first and then apply the Lanoline. Then you can recoat it whilst in the water.

I havent done it yet, but will thins time as propspeed et al is lousy unless a new prop.
Propspeed goes on to old props just fine, but you do have to clean and buff the prop properly and apply the stuff properly also. I find it also seems to act as an insulator because my anodes have lasted nearly 3 times longer since I started using the stuff.. which at $50 an anode is a bonus.

It would be nice to know that Lanoline worked just as well (yes, I've heard you have to heat it first also - not too sure how you do that without causing other issues, maybe very careful use of a heat gun) but I suspect it won't last nearly as long.
Old 07-09-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

I slathered Vaseline on my prop a couple of years ago while it was out of the water and it did keep the prop clear for the better part of the season. It wasn't until the following spring that I had to clean the prop and even then it was only lightly fouled. Unfortunately this year I forgot the Vaseline when the boat was going back in so I wasn't able to treat it.
T37Chef likes this.
Hull#101
Old 07-09-2013
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road

There have been some recent very positive reports about using udder ointment in the UK boating magazines. It is certainly much cheaper than any other lanolin based grease, be it as nipple cream or of course the "proper" overprized maritime products. It does also contain cetrimide, an antiseptic. I do wonder if that might have a certain growth inhibiting role to marine fouling as well.
At £ 7.50 per 500 gram pot I've bought myself a tub for our outboard. It should be enough for many seasons. Lets see if this is going to be a success or an udder disappointment

http://www.equimins-online.com/359-l...-ointment-.jpg
Old 07-09-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

At one point there must have been 20 coats of various antifouling paint on my prop - none of which prevented the critters from attaching. One day, while on the hard, I completely cleaned every speck of paint from the prop, discovered it was bronze, then acting on a tip from a friend, I applied 3 coats of transducer paint, the same stuff that West Marine sells for about $26 for a spray can. The boat has been to the Florida Keys and back, it spent 3 months in Boot Key Harbor, where everything in the water is quickly covered with critters, and then back to the Chesapeake's upper reaches. The prop looks like I just painted it yesterday afternoon. It's clean as a whistle. It's the only thing in 60 years of boating that I found that actually works.

Good Luck,

Gary
T37Chef and Delta-T like this.
Old 07-09-2013

SoOkay is on a distinguished road

Regarding vaseline, or baby oil (I haven't tried either one), I don't see how they would stay attached on the prop with the forces at play, with a prop spinning at 2000-3000 RPM.

I would think that in short order, it would be all gone. But Just speculating, like I said I've never tried them.
Old 07-09-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoOkay View Post
Regarding vaseline, or baby oil (I haven't tried either one), I don't see how they would stay attached on the prop with the forces at play, with a prop spinning at 2000-3000 RPM.

I would think that in short order, it would be all gone. But Just speculating, like I said I've never tried them.
vaseline is pretty thick at room temperature, and even thicker at ocean temperatures. it is not water soluble, in fact it repels water. I guess a thin layer is able to stay on the surface of the prop.

All I know is that someone told me it worked, I tried it for myself, and it did!
Hull#101
Old 07-09-2013

SoOkay is on a distinguished road

Interesting, thanks!

Yea, I wasn't thinking it would dissolve in water, just that the force of the water would wipe it off.

Learn something every day.
Old 07-09-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
--- I applied 3 coats of transducer paint, the same stuff that West Marine sells for about $26 for a spray can. The boat has been to the Florida Keys and back, it spent 3 months in Boot Key Harbor, where everything in the water is quickly covered with critters, and then back to the Chesapeake's upper reaches. The prop looks like I just painted it yesterday afternoon. It's clean as a whistle. It's the only thing in 60 years of boating that I found that actually works. ---
Having spent a lot of time in Boot Key in the old days, I must say that I find that testimony convincing.
Thanks, Gary.
Old 07-10-2013
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road

I've been using lanolin for a few cycles now and can give a testimonial that it works great here in the PNW. I've always done it at haul out, which I do every two years. I've found that I am getting complete protection for nearly all of that time and our boat is heavily used. Here is a post I did with more detail: Stories of Aeolus- Our Gulf 32 Pilothouse: Lanonlin on prop really works!

And I've used Lanocote as well as generic Lanonlin, and though the Lanocote seems a bit denser, I have had the same results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.