SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Marine Paint vs Automotive (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/101215-marine-paint-vs-automotive.html)

SailingV17 07-09-2013 11:23 PM

Marine Paint vs Automotive

This may be a dumb question... I am restoring a 17ft MacGregor Venture. It needs to be repainted. Marine paint is much more expensive than automotive paint. Any thoughts? I don't leave the boat in the water if that makes a diference.

Thanks for your help!

Clint

steve77 07-09-2013 11:53 PM

Re: Marine Paint vs Automotive

Three years ago I bought a 1966 Pearson Triton. The previous owner did a nice job of restoring it (he had it 13 years) and he painted the hull using automotive paint (Ford Taurus). I don't know when he did the repainting, but it has held up nicely.

SailingV17 07-10-2013 12:03 AM

Thank you, that is great news. I have been spending way more $$ on this "little" project than I had intended. Thought this may be a way to save a few bucks. However, after all the sanding and repairing I sure don't want to be doing this again in a couple years because I went cheap.

Best,
C

mad_machine 07-10-2013 12:13 AM

in reality, above the waterline it is all about prep. I do find that automotive paints are thinner than boat paint, but if you are spraying, you can do many many coats to give your hull a good bit of paint to protect her.

long term use.. I do not know.

svHyLyte 07-10-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailingV17 (Post 1056792)
This may be a dumb question... I am restoring a 17ft MacGregor Venture. It needs to be repainted. Marine paint is much more expensive than automotive paint. Any thoughts? I don't leave the boat in the water if that makes a diference.

Thanks for your help!

Clint

In 1999 we refinished our former, 1976 era, yacht with Dupont Imron paints, obtained from an autobody supplies distributor. It has held up well and we understand the boat still looks good today. Not much difference between a fiberglass boat or fiberglass autobody, eh? And, some might argue that a vehicle is subject to even more demanding environmental conditions then is a yacht, No?

pauloman 07-10-2013 11:19 AM

the two part paints used for cars and boats are both LPU coatings - google LPU - same stuff, same can, big difference in price!

- I owned a venture 17 too!

steve77 07-10-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailingV17 (Post 1056812)
Thank you, that is great news. I have been spending way more $$ on this "little" project than I had intended. Thought this may be a way to save a few bucks. However, after all the sanding and repairing I sure don't want to be doing this again in a couple years because I went cheap.

Best,
C

If it's of any use, there's a picture of the boat here: SailNet Community - steve77's Album: Gracie - Picture

The paint looks nice.

JimsCAL 07-10-2013 11:34 AM

Are you sure the gelcoat can't be restored? Much cheaper and less work.

SailingV17 07-10-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve77 (Post 1056956)
If it's of any use, there's a picture of the boat here: SailNet Community - steve77's Album: Gracie - Picture

The paint looks nice.

Your boat is beautiful!! Here is the link to my blog MacGregor Venture 17 Restoration
Thanks again for all the advice!

SailingV17 07-10-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsCAL (Post 1056962)
Are you sure the gelcoat can't be restored? Much cheaper and less work.

I wish!! It has 40 years of dings and a few past attempts at fiberglass repair by a previous owner that will need to be painted over. Thank you!