Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone make new teak pieces on deck

Yea, I will look into purchasing. He is just looking for something to do and I am a fairly good carpenter as well although my trade is metal fab. I was looking to do the entire top of a tartan 30 (to the person requesting a photo of the area). Lots of good replies and links, please keep them comming. To cut the stuff we the way we were looking to do would cost about $200+ for one handrail, and there is four of them plus alot of other stuff that is more flat and easier to fab and cheaper, but a 2x6 of 5' teak was like $250 where I was looking. I was hoping to stay under a grand to redo the topside wood minus the toe rail, which I would like to do as well just not sure how at the moment? Might be hard to find the stuff for a t30 though. I shall try though. Anyone know where pre fabed teak parts can be purchased for a t30?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2013

rbrasi is on a distinguished road

I bought Honduras mahogany from a local lumber distributor for about half the price of teak. A couple of 8 foot planks was enough to replace the coming boards and all the companionway trim, with some left overs for molding, etc. I am a complete novice, but I did have a table saw, table router, drill press and assorted hand tools.
I've attached a before and after. I don't know about the Tartan, but the Cal uses mainly straight cut pieces. As is stated previously, steam bending does save you a lot of wood. Build a steam tank and bend what needs to be bent. In my case, only a couple of pieces needed it. Finding the bungs is a little tough. I got mine on line. I went to home depot and bought a sheet of MDF to practice cut each and every piece at home in Nevada, then took it to my boat to fit in Marina Del Rey.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone make new teak pieces on deck-old-wood.jpg   Anyone make new teak pieces on deck-new-wood.jpg  
Old 07-12-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Abraham this out has adjustable handrails. Nice idea. dunno if they can patent the idea.
Teakflex,teak,handrail,adjustable,grabrail,
I'd guess most get theirs from here.
Our Products | Thai Teak Marine
Catalina 30's have long hand rails.
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index....roduct_ID=2464

My boat has long handrails too but you cant have mine :P

I think you may find handrails cheaper to buy then make. How bad are yours? Mine were really bad but I sanded and sanded and got them looking pretty.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
All of the above advice is good. But price out the wood, then look at what a pre-manufactured equivalent will cost. If your father-in-law is just looking for something to keep him occupied, then by all means, go for it. But, if like most of us, he's got competing priorities too, then the cost savings may not really justify the effort. In many cases, the pre-made pieces are made in countries where the labor costs are low, and you really don't see a huge mark-up for some of the more standard parts, like grab rails.

Now, if you're talking about cabinetry and all that, too, then that's another story. Also, you might try places like Bacon or MINNEY'S YACHT SURPLUS - WE MAKE BOATING AFFORDABLE. I know Minneys has a lot of teak grab rails and such on hand, and the prices are decent.
Did not see any wood items listed.
Old 07-12-2013

rbrasi is on a distinguished road

I was in minney's last month. I don't recall any wood items other than old tillers, extensions and wheels.
Old 07-12-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

rbrasi, they have the wood items upstairs. Last time I was there, they were at the top of the stairs on the right-hand side.

Abraham, I'll be near Minney's in a few weeks. If you can wait until I go, I'll scout things out for you. But you can also call them. The stuff on their site is only a small fraction of what they have. Check out their Facebook feed to get a better sense of what they have.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-13-2013
Jnoiur Mebemr

StormBay is on a distinguished road

Sailors Exchange,Used Marine Consignment Store Here in st augustine has a lot of pre made teak pieces as well as some teak lumber at fairly reasonable prices. They recently bought up the inventory of a large local marine teak parts manufacture. Might be worth giving them a call to see if they have what you need..

If not, go ahead and give it a shot at making it. Teak works well in my opinion but mahogany and ipe also hold up well in the marine environment.

This only took a borrowed table saw, a DA sander and a drill..

I would have killed for access to a band saw and an indoor work area for this project...

Had to make due with a borrowed thickness planer, circular saw, hand saw, hand planer, DA sander, drill and a chisel.

Old 07-14-2013

[QUOTE=

Abraham, I'll be near Minney's in a few weeks. If you can wait until I go, I'll scout things out for you. But you can also call them. The stuff on their site is only a small fraction of what they have. Check out their Facebook feed to get a better sense of what they have.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I would appreciate it. I'm cleaning up what I have now and plan to sand and oil, but I would love to buy some new pieces if I could find them. I will take some pics later today. The hand rails are not like the standard loop ones. They are more just a flat piece. Again, its a tartan 30 but I will take whatever I can find that will work. Plenty of time.
Old 07-14-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

One alternative to teak that is very readily available is apitong, this material is super dense and super hard on tools, but this stuff is as tough as it gets. We use it for flooring on low boy trailers and flat beds, it never gets sealed, varnished, or anything and lasts longer than the trailers do, with bulldozers driving on and off it daily. Literally tougher than you can imagine and it looks good when it is dressed up. I have done some work with it, you just have to be careful when planing it, go slowly, take it down just a tiny bit at a time and it will look great. It is used on commercial vessels and on trailer floors, and it is not cheap but not stupid high.
abrahamx and StormBay like this.
Old 07-15-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

I have seen 2" X 8" apitong fairly regularly at $5.25 a linear foot, and it can be a little higher or a little lower. This is purple heart apitong in this image.

From a supplier up in Indiana, I do not have their pricing, but here is a link.

Rough Sawn Decking Made Of Apitong, Para Angelim and Purple Heart For Low Boy Trailers

This is a supplier that will ship it right to you even in smaller quantities, and they have the 2"X 8" rough sawn as well as some other sizes.

Apitong Shiplap Trailer Flooring, Hardwood Decking, Laminated Truck Floors, Wood Trailer Components, TrailerDecking.com

Apitong is one of the acacia family of hardwoods, and is often sold as mahogony, though it is not mahogony.

Here is a couple of suppliers you can contact, the first has a good list of the types they sell with photos.

Compton - Hardwoods

Collector's Specialty Woods

Real teak runs about $20.00 to $45.00 a board foot, which is right on up there, and it is hard to mill and work in, but man that stuff is beautiful when you get it right. If you take an hour or two to research the alternatives there are quite a few, it just depends on where and how you want to use it.

I am planning a project here fairly soon that should have quite a bit of woodwork in it and when I get started I am going to post pictures. I hope you (the OP) will post photos of the project you are looking at here as well.

Mark

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.