Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone make new teak pieces on deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
I have a quarter sheet sander that I believe only goes back and forth and not a true orbital. Will this work fine? I assume so.
I'm not a big fan of qtr sheet sanders, particularly on rounded surfaces. Unless you are really careful, they can get ahead of you before you know it. If you do use one, I'd start with nothing coarser than 100 grit.

For the stuff you've shown, I'd recommend going by hand.

You can make great contoured sanding blocks with pieces of rigid foam insulation (the green or pink stuff you see at home centers.) Lay a piece of sandpaper abrasive side up around the wood, and then sand the foam to match the wood. Reverse the paper and "presto!" you're in business.
abrahamx likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39

Last edited by PorFin; 07-15-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
Really the main bad thing is that alot of the bungs and screws are sticking up I assumed cuz of erosion and 40 years of cleaning. I did get the scotchbrite pads and with a laundry soap, bleech, and that tsp or whatever to clean the wood as instructed in "this old boat". I will rinse well and apply the cetol I already purchased. It will be good enough. I'll put my money towards new lifelines. Sooooooo, covered or uncovered in the Great lakes?
Ah.. I've dealt with this.
You need a 3/8" plug cutter here's the self centering type. and a piece of scrap teak. or you can buy the bungs. On my handrails we used 1/2" plugs.

The screw heads are problem. if you can get the screws out. counter drill the hole but not so deep the you go al the way through. Use a flat head screw instead of the round head that are in there. Don't use counter sink screws they can split old wood. If the holes are real bad and deep after you get the screws out you can just epoxy bungs in and redrill. You can sometimes just plug the old and drill a new one nearby the old.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-15-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

Yea but dont you need a certian debth to have the bung stay. I assumed the wood was worn thin and that new bungs would stand out. Can you buy the bungs themselves? I was thinking of getting round dowles and roughly chiseling them off then sand smooth but a precut one would be nicer. So just bust them out of there with a screwdriver of something and put new ones in? Maybe I could knock the old ones back in?
Old 07-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Ah.. I've dealt with this.
You need a 3/8" plug cutter here's the self centering type. and a piece of scrap teak. or you can buy the bungs. On my handrails we used 1/2" plugs.

The screw heads are problem. if you can get the screws out. counter drill the hole but not so deep the you go al the way through. Use a flat head screw instead of the round head that are in there. Don't use counter sink screws they can split old wood. If the holes are real bad and deep after you get the screws out you can just epoxy bungs in and redrill. You can sometimes just plug the old and drill a new one nearby the old.
I use these at work at times. I have a whole set. Not cheap. We call them broaches.
Old 07-15-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Use a flat head screw instead of the round head that are in there. Don't use counter sink screws they can split old wood. If the holes are real bad and deep after you get the screws out you can just epoxy bungs in and redrill. You can sometimes just plug the old and drill a new one nearby the old.
If the screw head is too high do the above. Or even another location if possible,

and yes,
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ct.do?pid=1940

scrapers are an invaluable tool also!

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 07-15-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2013

Thanks for the link and advice from everyone. Much info to learn. And yea, I did pick up a scraper also.
Old 07-15-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Cetol natural teak looks more like varnish than the other flavors, IMO.

Sand down the bungs, wipe with Acetone then apply finish.

Covers for these exterior bits of wood should help preserve the finish but ...
seems a little fussy to me. Your money, your boat, your time.

Everybody has one:

Old 07-16-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

A few suggestions:

Quote:
You need a 3/8" plug cutter
Get a tapered plug cutter. Then just tap them in with a hammer and they'll wedge themselves, no need for any adhesive. I've applied dozens this way and never had one come loose. Never.

Use a chisel to trim the plug nearly flush to the handrail, then sand. Look at the grain before paring the plug, go with the grain to avoid having the plug break off in the plug hole.

Quote:
I was thinking of getting round dowles
I've never seen a teak dowel (or mahogany either). Regardless, if a dowel is used, when inserted in the hole, it will be the wrong direction and you will expose end grain to the weather. A plug should match the grain of the wood into which it is inserted. Dowels are rarely the dimension advertised and often somewhat smaller. Using a dowel would result is a really loose fitting plug. I don't use dowels for most woodworking applications, waste of time and effort.

Quote:
dont you need a certian debth to have the bung stay.
If a tapered plug is used, the min depth of the hole (with screw inserted) is the depth of the plug. I can't recommend tapered plug cutters enough. I threw all my straight plug cutters away years ago.
StormBay likes this.

Last edited by Sabreman; 07-16-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-16-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
A few suggestions:

I've never seen a teak dowel (or mahogany either). Regardless, if a dowel is used, when inserted in the hole, it will be the wrong direction and you will expose end grain to the weather. A plug should match the grain of the wood into which it is inserted. Dowels are rarely the dimension advertised and often somewhat smaller. Using a dowel would result is a really loose fitting plug. I don't use dowels for most woodworking applications, waste of time and effort.

Teak dowels are readily available in almost every size. They are not cheap and if you want them you should try to find them where you can get them in a single piece quantity, because a box of 25 of the 36" is listed here at $5,747.15 USD for 25 of them.

36" Teak Dowels, Teak Dowels, Wood Dowels, Wood Finishes, Wood Glues & Parts - McFeely's

They got 'em and they can keep 'em LOL
Old 07-16-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Anyone make new teak pieces on deck

I stand corrected.

I still wouldn't use them in this application. It's far easier and cheaper to make a teak plug from a piece of scrap. Alternately, I believe that I've seem tapered teak plugs online somewhere.