Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-13-2013

ewe2 is on a distinguished road
prep and paint

Hope someone can help us out.
We are painting our "Sugar & Spice" H40. We have painted and finished many, many projects before, but not a boat. I've been researching, looking at paint reviews and I've come up with a couple of questions. Which is the best paint to use with limited means? She's a beamy gal, and we have to do the best we can at the dock. We can only do a short haul and we wish to do the bottom paint and full inspection when we do. Also can some of the brands be tinted and what tint is to be used? We want a very light green or teal, nothing dark. I'm not seeing these colors at all, except already on the water.
Thanks for the help.
ewe2
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: prep and paint

Your least expensive paints for topsides (above the waterline, below the deck), are one part epoxies which are basically enamels. Brightside (interlux) is about $35/quart. Their color pallet is pretty good though (but mixing colors gets tricky), check the pallet here:

If you are talking bottom paints... that's a whole other story. Everything there will depend on what you discover when the boat is pulled. Also the type of water you are in most, and whether you have blister issues, or flaking paints.

If I might suggest... if the boat hasn't been painted before, you MAY want to consider wet sanding (600 grit), compounding, polishing and waxing. This assumes your gelcoat is OK.

This was mine before:

This was her after:
Old 07-13-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

You don't say, so I'm assuming you want to paint the hull? I consider paint a last resort because paint just doesn't hold up like gelcoat. Is it possible you just don't know how to really restore gelcoat and think painting it will easier?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-13-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

If you working with limited means THAN the cost of the haul and how long till the next one is a far bigger consideration than the short term cost of the paint

The longest lasting paint which might get you three years ? would work out much cheaper

Do you also want to paint more of the boat than the bottom as your question is confusing ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 07-13-2013

ewe2 is on a distinguished road

Sorry, wasn't trying to be ambiguous. We are painting topside only at this time. She's been through a rough time during Sandy (that's how we got her) and we've been making repairs. Sand and buff is not an option. We're doing the electric from mast to keel, water systems, engine work, repairs on the sails and everything else necessary to make her beautiful aesthetically, mechanically and structurally. We're getting there. Thanks for any help furthering our efforts.
Old 07-13-2013

pauloman is on a distinguished road

actually gel coat has a bad reputation - folks with lots of $ will remove the gelcoat on a brand new boat and replace with a two part LPU coating. These are also used on cars and industrial equipment - google lpu.

Actually any outdoor paint or coating will work - from exterior latex house paint (you boat is not much different from the typical beach house) to the high end LPU coatings.

some folks want that flat work boat look, others the mirror image.
Old 07-13-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Geeze, you have your work cut out for you! You can fix the gelcoat almost like getting it ready for paint. and you would not have the worry of UV damage to paint. Also, for non skid ,Kiwi grip is getting good reviews.

By the way.
CONGRATS ON THE BOAT!
WELCOME TO SAILNET!
AND!

my current "project"!
Old 07-13-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Yeah, never paint unless you have to, Denise is spot on...
If you can gelcoat it again, all the better.
You were looking for cheap painting alternatives... the one parts are just that, and they don't last, but they look great for a very short time.
Old 07-13-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

One pot paint is easier to apply but does not last as long as a two pot polyurethane like Awlgrip or Interlux Perfection. The prep is the same for both.

Two of three coats a two pot polyurethane will last for 7 to 15 years.

Roll and tip works well and while I have seen it done in the water with the boat heeled over, doing it in the yard is MUCH easier.

White and off white are considerably easier to apply in terms of the finish outcome. Dark blue is one of the most difficult colors to apply and get a good result.

In your position I would favour Interlux Brightside a one pot paint which is easier to apply.
Old 07-13-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

Unless your slapping on coat of hose paint there is no way its gonna happen during a short haul

It boggle my mind to even think about doing the topsides on a 40 foot boat as it weeks of work

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat