SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

butyl in a wet environment

952 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  xort 
#1 ·
Will it work? I have to do an emergency repair in the morning, and will be doing a fix very close to waterline. Hoping someone knowledgeable chimes in.

#3 ·
Hit a rock. The bracket that secures the lower part of the rudder was backed with smallish washers, which pulled through the transom.
Planning a temp repair that will use a plate on each side of the transom, transferring the force well outside the damaged area.
I have some underwater cure epoxy putty, but I want to limit its application to the damaged area of the transom. Since the plate will be much larger, my thought was to use buttyl in areas where the plate will contact the undamaged glass, making for an easier final repair.

#4 ·
As a temporary repair and assuming you mean a butyl tape, I would expect it to be just fine. Alternates could be any gasket material or rubber sheet like an inner tube or large dinghy patch. You would want to put gaskets under the bolt heads too.

If all you have available is butyl caulk it will be better than nothing...

#5 ·
I was adjusting a hatch dog when the bolt snapped. Then it started to rain, and rain hard. So the hatch started leaking. I went outside and jammed a wad of butyl along the edge against the glass and the aluminum frame. The butyl stuck to the wet glass and the wet aluminum and sealed the leak completely. Held in hard rain for 2 days till I could do a remove/repair of the snapped bolt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.