Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Do you have a liferaft?
YES - For mostly bluewater sailing 11 22.92%
YES - For mostly coastal sailing 10 20.83%
NO - For mostly bluewater sailing 3 6.25%
NO - For mostly coastal sailing 19 39.58%
Considering gettting one 5 10.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
How Many Have a Liferaft?

I'm curious how many people have liferafts aboard? Are you primarily a coastal or bluewater sailor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road
Re: How Many Have a Liferaft?

My boat is my liferaft!
Old 07-18-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

I just bought a used, service-able one for coastal cruising. It was a great deal, but is it overkill? I sail with small children ... seemed to make sense to me.
Old 07-18-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
My boat is my liferaft!
True! I meant a liferaft tethered to your big liferaft.
Old 07-18-2013

Ok lets talk about it. I cant see any single reason why you wouldnt want a liferaft, **** happens. The real question is one likely to save you if you have a well maintained boat and are a prudent mariner. Sure there will be all the people who will give the one in a million examples of how a liferaft may have saved someone but for every single savior account there is also a loss account. Read adrift by Steven Calihan. Had he not had a liferaft he would have never written that book or had an ordeal at sea.

What will sink your boat other than lack of maintenance?

Huge storm, if your boat wont survive will your liferaft?

Hitting rocks, most likely poor seamanship, walk to shore.

Being rundown by other boat, good luck on surviving that.

Fire? Poor maintenance, poor seamanship.

rammed by whale? Seriously what are the odds?

hitting container, Scary thought but very unlikely and many well built boats have survived this.

I'm sure 99% of tragedy was owner operate fault but I still would carry one for a false sense of security if I could afford it but its not a priority to me. I prefer a good unsinkable hard dingy as it is always ready to go, that being said, I cant fir one on my boat so I carry an inflatable dingy which I hate. If you look at statistics more people would be saved by wearing helmets than by having a life-raft but I'm not wearing a helmet either.

One last thought, a life-raft and epirb make it way to easy to abandon a boat in a scary situation that more than likely the boat will survive.
Just my 2 cents which is all its worth
Old 07-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
One last thought, a life-raft and epirb make it way to easy to abandon a boat in a scary situation that more than likely the boat will survive.
Just my 2 cents which is all its worth
That's absurb and what are you basing that on...a few media or SN stories your read online. A book you read.

We have a life raft valise, have it packed below. easily grabbed for easy rapid deployment. When we coastal cruise in the ocean we have it strapped on the foredeck. We also have an EPIRB and APBs for the vests.

So you think your VHF and wood dinghy would serve you well 10 miles offshore when your boat sank underneath you? Id rather be in my raft with my dinghy attached to it.

Abandoning ship is never an easy decision, and I have never had to do that thank god. I cant believe others abandon the safety of their boats with the cavalier attitude you attribute to them. In fact those who I have talked to have done so at the last moment when in extreme peril and the boat was lost.

The only talk I have ever heard of it being an easy way out is here by a few posters. Even then other like Doug Sabbatg didn't do it out of convenience.

We carry a raft/ EPIRB because we fell it is an added safety measure to prevent loss of life and let us live longer should we ever frightfully have to be rescued. No thought of the easy way way out. To suggest to others that that is the reason we or others carry them is irresponsible.

BTW...you are new to this game. Look around at the many sailors who are in your area who are serious offshore sailors, see how many have them as well as EPIRBS. Go up personally and ask them "is the reason they carry them so they can get off their boats as soon as it get " scary" as you described.". Have good tracks shoes on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-18-2013

I'm not sure what your comment is based on by mine is based on nearly 30 years spent at sea, I'm 45, not as much experience as as you but I have also worked as a marine corespondent for nautical news publications since 1987 so most of everything comes across my desk. I'll check back in another 100 years when I am as experienced as you
Old 07-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
I'm not sure what your comment is based on by mine is based on nearly 30 years spent at sea, I'm 45, not as much experience as as you but I have also worked as a marine corespondent for nautical news publications since 1987 so most of everything comes across my desk. I'll check back in another 100 years when I am as experienced as you
I apologize for citing a lack of your experience. Which marine publication do you work for. Have you ever posted these thoughts in it? Why don't you do that. I would be interested in how many offshore sailors think that having a life raft and EPIRB means they are more likely to abandon in a scary situation. Maybe I am in a minority and that's the "real" reason they have them, a false sense of security.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-18-2013

You should probably read my post before commenting on it Start with the fist line and read it through.
Old 07-18-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

We carry a small valise raft in a stern locker with our bail-out bag attached. The gear is sized to allow my wife to launch the equipment without undue difficulty despite her small size in case I am injured, or worse, and unable to do so myself. Our boat is well prepared and maintained and I have over 60 years of sailing experience, on- and off-shore. I am reasonably confident that we will never need the raft yet, if we need it, its there, ready to go. I am sure that most that sail off-shore feel their boats are sturdy enough that they don't need a raft yet one never knows. I am sure that the owner of Lelia B, the well found Tarten 42 that sank off Ft. Myers during the Bone Island Regatta (to Key West) last month never expected to need his life-raft. No one knows what happened aboard the boat but it sank out from under the crew within 20 minutes of their discovery of water flooding the boat, before they could find, never-the-less staunch the inflow. Fortunately, they had a raft that the crew took to and, not long after, were picked up by another boat that responded to their May Day calls. Minor injuries and no loss of life. Absent the raft, who knows. Given the number of times we have had sharks investigate us while we sat becalmed in the Gulf of Mexico, I am really not interested in the possibility of floating around in a PFD waiting for a pick-up when we could be safely cocooned, if not entirely comfortable, in a raft. An ounce of prevention eh?

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Tags
floatation , liferaft , rescue , safety

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.