SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Halyard installed backwards (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/101526-halyard-installed-backwards.html)

abrahamx 07-18-2013 05:00 PM

Halyard installed backwards

the po of my boat was in the hospital at time of rigging the mast and apparently whoever did it put he jib halyard on the wrong way. I will have to pull it and rehoist it. can anyone instruct or point me to how to properly stich on another line to hoist up so I can change it out. Any what kind of line should i get? Something smaller, something I can use in the future for something else.

CalebD 07-18-2013 05:08 PM

Re: Halyard installed backwards

There is the old bent paper clip trick; bend it so it is shaped like an "S". Hook & tape it to each piece of line.
I don't mind using a little sewing for this though. A few stitches securely attaches the two lines together with no tape build up.
Yes, get some line slightly smaller that you can later use for a spinnaker sheet or whatever. Just make sure it is long enough to double the height of the mast.

jimgo 07-18-2013 05:17 PM

Heck, you can get the 100' of clothesline rope from Home Depot for a few bucks for this job. I wouldn't buy anything decent unless you already know you need it for something else.

rhr1956 07-18-2013 05:25 PM

Better than the paper clip is to use green florist wire. Get it at any hobby or craft store such as Michael's. It's plenty strong but very flexible so it will not hang up when it rolls over the sheave at the top of the mast. I have used it several times. Not even necessary to use any tape. 1. butt the two ends of line together. 2. Poke the wire all the way through one line about an inch back from the butt and pull 8-10 inches out. 3.Poke the wire through the second line about an inch back from it's butt as before. 4. Wrap the remaining wire around and around back toward where you started. 5. Twist the two ends together and flatten best you can.
Something like this:
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...psafc2fcc8.jpg

RainDog 07-18-2013 05:32 PM

I use a needle and sailmaker thread and tie the ropes together. Go through each rope several times and then tie the ends of the thread together. Then electrical tape them together.

chef2sail 07-18-2013 09:06 PM

Sew it. Why risk a hang up or it pulling apart with tape or wire

Tim R. 07-18-2013 09:39 PM

I start by melting the two lines together and then sew them with some whipping line. I have plenty of spare lines on board to do this with. Never hurts to have a spare 100 length of double braid aboard.

If you want to do it cheap then go to Home Depot and buy some of their cheap braid line. Same size or one smaller. Toss the cheap line or save it for the next time but do not,use it as running rigging.

bblument 07-18-2013 10:00 PM

It's rare that I find a question here that I can answer...I kind of consider myself the forum newbie.

Having said that, I had to remove badly rotted jib and main halyards from my boat with the mast up. I used el cheapo clothesline, sewed it to the end of the existing lame-o halyards using carpet threads, and sort of whipped around the joint to make it fairly smooth. Not a problem.. the halyards came down fine, and the "messenger" clothesline was ready to take the new halyards up. I ended up dropping the mast anyway for other ... ahem... internal structural issues... < insert glare at previous owner > ..., but you needn't use anything special as a messenger line, at least in the short term.

No worries...

Barry

arf145 07-19-2013 12:17 AM

Like Raindog, I sewed and taped when I did this.

poopdeckpappy 07-19-2013 01:36 AM

Yeah, I don't get using a messenger line that's anything other than the new halyard you'll be using. You secure the old and new together, pull the old out and the new one takes its place, done, sorta kinda.