SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Gear & Maintenance (
-   -   Whats this? (

abrahamx 07-21-2013 06:39 AM

Whats this?
Its on my new boat and I am not sure what it is for. Hold on while I upload it to another site so I can link it here. No pics will upload for me on this site.:mad:

bigdogandy 07-21-2013 07:24 AM

Re: Whats this?
Looks like a "tacker" for a spinnaker.....wrap it around the forestay or furled jib, attach to the tack of the chute and to the downhaul (or a fixed pennant) and it will hold the tack of the chute at the boat's centerline.

Or it could be a seat for a rope swing? :)

jsaronson 07-21-2013 10:12 AM

Re: Whats this?
doubt it i a tacker. They are usually nylon to reduce chafe. A strap of some sort.

Dauntless Brent 07-21-2013 01:27 PM

Re: Whats this?
I've seen something like this before. It's hard to tell from the pic the size of it. The one that I saw was used as a seat. It was hung by bolts inside the cabin at the navigation station. That way the navigator could stay still while the boat pitched.

abrahamx 07-21-2013 05:17 PM

Re: Whats this?
Looks like it could be a seat. It is about 24" long if not a tad longer. About 6-8" wide in the middle. I think the po was talking about it when I mentioned a vang. Maybe he was talking about it being a preventer. The guy was hard to understand.

sailvayu 07-21-2013 07:01 PM

Re: Whats this?
I think it is a boom strap to use with a preventer. Wrap around the boom where needed and attach tackle as needed.

capttb 07-21-2013 08:43 PM

Re: Whats this?
"Established in 1946 as Ulmer Sails, UK Sailmakers is one of the oldest groups of sail lofts in North America."
I'm gonna guess it's a tacker.

scotthenry 07-22-2013 01:17 AM

Re: Whats this?
Might be a galley brace (I don't remember the common name). Designed to keep the cook in the galley when it is rough or heeled way over. The cook leans back into it, and it is tied off on either side of the galley. I've only seen them on true U-shaped galleys, though.

SchockT 07-22-2013 01:26 AM

Re: Whats this?
Well if it's not a tacker you could certainly use it as one!

one clue is the orientation of the sailmakers logo. It appears that it was intended to be used with the grommets down, which supports the theory that it might be meant to sling over the boom. The construction does not appear very robust, so I doubt it was intended to handle much load.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome