Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
The co risk is certainly not zero. There are hundreds of thousands of boats with generators that run their ac all night. Placing a portable gen needs to be carefully thought out for all the possible issues. I have seen hondas mounted up high on the bow blowing fumes right down the length of the boat into multiple open hatches! Strapped to the mast seems popular too.
And as I said and as others have said, a co detector is mandatory
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2013

hopcar is on a distinguished road
Re: Costco - Smarter Tools 2000W Gen by Yamaha

Because of the CO issue, I'm thinking of converting my Honda to propane. It doesn't eliminate the CO but it does reduce it quite a bit.
Old 07-21-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Hop
Can you provide more detail on the capacitor?
How is it different from dometics soft start kit for 10 X the cost?
Old 07-21-2013

jppp is on a distinguished road

It wins the db contest.
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Old 07-21-2013

hopcar is on a distinguished road

xort, I haven't made enough posts here to be allowed to post links yet. Just google "hard start capacitor" and you will find a lot of info on them. The brand I used is Supco.

I don't know how it differs from the Dometic's magic box. I once saw inside Mermaid's version of the magic box and there was a Supco Hard Start along with circuit boards inside.
Old 07-21-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

If you don't want to put the generator over the side in the dink...at least do consider putting up a small riding sail, to keep your bow ppinted into the wind, and then running an exhaust hose from the generator over the transom and down to the water, so you are ensuring it is downwind of the boat and outside of it.

Stuff that is doing combustion while I sleep makes me uncomfortable.
RobGallagher, T37Chef and jimgo like this.
Old 07-21-2013

goehner2 is on a distinguished road

Two boaters get carbon monoxide poisoning at Nacimiento Lake

Published: May 28, 2013

A man and woman were hospitalized Sunday suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning while boating on Nacimiento Lake.

The incident began Sunday at 4 p.m. when sheriff’s deputies were flagged down to give aid to a man and a woman in Las Tablas Cove. They had evidently been sitting in the stern of their boat and inhaled exhaust from the engine, said Tony Cipolla, spokesman for the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office.

“The woman was not breathing, and deputies performed CPR,” he said. “They were both transported to the hospital.”

In addition to sheriff’s deputies, Monterey County park rangers and Cal Fire responded. A California Highway Patrol helicopter was also dispatched, but the patients were taken to Twin Cities Community Hospital in Templeton via ambulance.

The woman involved died May 27th.
Old 07-23-2013
Salty

MSter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWollard View Post
I just purchased a Smarter Tools brand portable generator, 2000W, from Costco. It's powered by a Yamaha MZ80 Engine. It's the AP200i.

Today I unpacked the generator, added oil and gas, and pulled the chord to start. It purred to life instantly.

I'm home this week, getting ready for a 6 day cruise from the Keys to Titusville, FL. I plan to use this generator during the trip to run an a/c unit at night.

I'll add any relevent feedback to this thread after the trip.

So far, I'm very impressed with the low noise level and weight of the generator.

The only negatives so far, when compared to the category leader Honda, are that this model cannot be linked to another in tandem. The $500 I saved more than make up for this feature.

Do you use a portable generator aboard? Where do you setup on deck?

CO is always a concern while running our Honda Gen at night. We typically put it in the dink as it eliminates the vibration and greatly reduces the risk of poisoning ourselves. We have 2 CO detectors as well. We keep one in the v-berth and one just off the galley as you walk up the companionway.

Last edited by MSter; 07-23-2013 at 11:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MSter For This Useful Post:
TheWollard (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSter View Post
CO2 is always a concern while running our Honda Gen at night. We typically put it in the dink as it eliminates the vibration and greatly reduces the risk of poisoning ourselves. We have 2 CO2 detectors as well. We keep one in the v-berth and one just off the galley as you walk up the companionway.
I've got 3 detectors now. When I get to the boat, I am going to play with varoious configurations for generator placement and exhaust venting. Two ideas I really like are putting it in the dink and also building an exhuast extension hose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2013
Salty

MSter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWollard View Post
I've got 3 detectors now. When I get to the boat, I am going to play with varoious configurations for generator placement and exhaust venting. Two ideas I really like are putting it in the dink and also building an exhuast extension hose.

Our previous boat was also a Watkins 27'. We got into the habit of putting the generator in dink as there was too much noise/vibration with it on deck and no way was I going to try running it in the cockpit.

I have looked for other solutions including fitting a length of copper line to extend the muffler overboard. While this would fully exhaust the fumes away from the boat and possibly even reduce the noise, I don't think the gen could handle the back pressure. I have also seen an aftermarket venturi extension made for the RV market, but found putting the gen in the dink was the most logical solution.

Tags
generator , smarter tools