SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Costco - Smarter Tools 2000W Gen by Yamaha (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/101618-costco-smarter-tools-2000w-gen-yamaha.html)

TheWollard 07-21-2013 01:45 PM

Costco - Smarter Tools 2000W Gen by Yamaha

I just purchased a Smarter Tools brand portable generator, 2000W, from Costco. It's powered by a Yamaha MZ80 Engine. It's the AP200i.

Today I unpacked the generator, added oil and gas, and pulled the chord to start. It purred to life instantly.

I'm home this week, getting ready for a 6 day cruise from the Keys to Titusville, FL. I plan to use this generator during the trip to run an a/c unit at night.

I'll add any relevent feedback to this thread after the trip.

So far, I'm very impressed with the low noise level and weight of the generator.

The only negatives so far, when compared to the category leader Honda, are that this model cannot be linked to another in tandem. The $500 I saved more than make up for this feature.

Do you use a portable generator aboard? Where do you setup on deck?

Fstbttms 07-21-2013 01:52 PM

Re: Costco - Smarter Tools 2000W Gen by Yamaha

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWollard (Post 1062532)
The $500 I saved more than make up for this feature.

Honda generators are whisper-quiet and bullet-proof, IMHO. I have owned several for use in my business and they run like champs forever with very little maintenance. I suspect the additional $500 buys you more than the ability to parallel two generators. Hopefully you don't find out that you wished you'd spent the extra money.

TheWollard 07-21-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fstbttms (Post 1062534)
Honda generators are whisper-quiet and bullet-proof, IMHO. I have owned several for use in my business and they run like champs forever with very little maintenance. I suspect the additional $500 buys you more than the ability to parallel two generators. Hopefully you don't find out that you wished you'd spent the extra money.

I agree. I also hope it was a smart buy. Those Honda's are hands down the best, based on the reviews I've read online. I just couldn't afford one.

So my goal was to find the next best thing when it comes to noise, reliability, etc. etc. This model is rated at 51 db at 1/4 load. That's very good compared to many of the other portable units.

Only time will tell whether it was the right decision. I'm optimistic based on my intitial use.

deniseO30 07-21-2013 02:13 PM

Carbon monoxide has a insidious way of getting in closed quarters often when it's too late. Be careful and get 2 detectors!

kd3pc 07-21-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWollard (Post 1062532)

Do you use a portable generator aboard? Where do you setup on deck?

I used a generator on board, but NEVER like you intend to....ie - let it run the AC while you are sleeping.

NEVER, as you have no idea where or when the CO is going to be pulled back in to the boat and how. The AC running causes air to be pulled in and such.

When it was used, it was placed as far downwind as possible from where I was. Sometimes that was on the bow, sometimes on the stern, and sometimes not at all when I was anchored near someone else, even when I wanted AC, as it would be too loud or possibly fatal to someone nearby.

CO is fatal.

btw, many 2K generators will not start/run the AC without modifying the AC system.

YMMV

MMR 07-21-2013 02:39 PM

We also had been planning to get the Honda generator. Then we spotted this at our local Home Depot:

Ryobi 2200 Watt Generator

So far we've been very pleased with it. It compares favorably the Honda, but for a lot less.

Scallywag2 07-21-2013 03:07 PM

Hopefully, you can try running the airconditioner at home with the generator before lugging everything to the boat. My Honda will run the 4500 BTU airconditioner but will not run a 7500 BTU airconditioner. I had planned to use the airconditioner on the boat but there are too many vents to plug up so the fumes would not enter the boat. We found a wind scoop provided enough air in the cabin at night. We ran the airconditioner at marinas but found it made the cabin too cold and turned the unit off in the middle of the night. This was in August South of Tampa.

Dot and John

xort 07-21-2013 03:35 PM

What is the continuous rated amp output for this costco generator ?
Honda 2k is about 13 amps
Check with dometic. They make a 'soft start' kit for aircon to allow use of a honda 2k
My aircon does not draw air from the outside, but from inside the boat. I think most boat aircons are this way. So the a/c sucking in fumes from outside is not an issue. But care should always be taken to make sure fumes are vented away from the boat and a co detector is a must

kd3pc 07-21-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xort (Post 1062565)
My aircon does not draw air from the outside, but from inside the boat. I think most boat aircons are this way. So the a/c sucking in fumes from outside is not an issue.

I would suggest this risk is a potentially flawed one. Although the actual unit may only draw air from "inside" the cabin, the air that is inside the cabin, came from the outside a few minutes ago, and unless you are an airtight boat, which is nigh impossible, even more will be drawn in as the AC does it's thing.

The AC may not suck air from the outside, but I guarantee that outside air makes up a lot of the inside air and even more so as the night falls, and convection and thermal being what they are. There are tons of places where CO can be drawn in, just think of the normal vents that are in the headliner, engine air intakes, etc.

.....all of this still makes the use of a CO producing generator, unattended, at night, while sleeping even with detectors, very, very unwise. You just don't know where the wind, if any, or if it goes away completely will let the CO collect.

On the lakes here in TN and KY it only takes a very few minutes for the CO to kill, and that was only the CO that collects at the stern, under a shallow swim platform and such. Google for your own comfort

hopcar 07-21-2013 04:06 PM

You really should test to see if it will start the air conditioner. I have a 5000 BTU AC on my boat. It only needs about 600 watts to run but it takes more than 3000 watts to start.
My Honda 2000i wouldn't start it until I installed a hard start capacitor that I bought from a refrigeration supply. I think it was only about twenty dollars and it works great. I can now start and run my air conditioner with just a 1000 watt generator.