Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Harken VS Lewmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
UH
Ditto huh..?

Ours has been the most reliable furler we've owned.... Zero maintenance, furls great, reefs great and just works. It is extremely well engineered and designed. We've owned all of them at one point in time and of the big names, Harken, Pro-Furl, Schaefer, Hood, Furlex they are all pretty darn good.

When ours came out Harken tried a single core line. It was tough on the hands and rather greasy. One call to Harken and a newer better line was on the way, free of charge.

Harken is sweet stuff but very pricy. We use mostly Garhauer and but do have a bunch of Harken too. We have never had a single issue with any piece of Garhauer gear. Customer service is no where near as good as Harken but it is hard to beat the best....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Garhauer gear looks a lot more substantial to me than Harken. I have always thought that Harken gear looks like upsized dinghy gear - sort of like the company itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-25-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Me feels BS is in here disCUSSing steel vs other hull materials for boats......

ALL of the products are good, one can also add Goiot/Amiot a French manufacture if you have older Jeanneau/Beneteau boats from the 80's.

Another thing to look at or figure out, some of the SS on some is not as good as others. Had Ronstan parts for my spin, the clip would stretch under load, along with under the load rating. Meanwhile a MUCH higher priced Wichard has not had any issues. Not saying that Ronstan is bad, but in some cases, one gets what one pays for.

I do admit, I have replaced a lot of my original Goiot/Amiot parts with Harken. One due to the light wt, not that on a 28' cruise race style boat 10 lbs of deck gear is worth it. I do like that Harken where needed has ball bearing sheaves vs solid. Both styles of sheaves also have the places, hence why I have both styles.

Marty
Old 07-25-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I've always been amused by the "light gear" mentality on boats. If one was to compare a 30' boat completely outfitted with the heaviest brand of gear to the same boat fitted with the lightest brand of gear, what would the weight savings be? 200 or 300 Lbs max?

I think it is particularly nuts with winches. The weight difference between an all S/S winch and one with an aluminium drum is insignificant - a few Lbs on even big 3 speeders - but the S/S one will outlast your grandchildren whereas YOU will probably have to replace the alloy one, at the well known great expense.

Leaving a couple of cases of beer on the dock will save the same weight.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-25-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
Anybody use harken travelers on a big boat? Do you like it?

Thanks for the input
I have... Like pretty much everything Harken makes, they're top notch...
Old 07-25-2013

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
Can someone explain to me why lately i see all the magazines and racers on the Harken kick. Is Harken really that much better?
Is Harken primarily for racing?
Lewmar for bluewater?
The biggest differences between all the marine hardware companies and their products seems to me to be the budgets of their advertising departments.

The most crucial consideration in purchasing hardware and rigging is proper sizing and material. All the products have safe working loads and the companies stand behind their claims. They also all have a useful lifespan. Garhauer used to actually stamp an expiration date into some fittings.
If you buy a block that is rated for a certain load from any of them, then you can count on them working as advertised.
There will always be differences. If something weighs less, they you may have to compromise longevity. If you want bearings, you may have to compromise working strength. If you want strength, you may have to compromise weight etc.

Advertising works, it sells products. The more you advertise, the smarter you advertise, the more product you sell.

You can create an impression that your product is superior to another by advertising it to richer people and then charging more money for it.
"If it costs more, it has to be better".

Because a company spends a fortune on advertising in all the glossies, doesn't necessarily mean that they produce the best product for the money. But it does mean that they have to recoup the money they spent for the ads.
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 07-26-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Leaving a couple of cases of beer on the dock will save the same weight.
Well you just sold me on lightweight gear.

My local west marine guy (the only one in the store that I trust, and someone I race with) told me that at his store they get more broken and returned lewmar gear than all the other brands combined.

I have access to a pretty good discount (like 40%) on gear at another store, and even with that discount Garhauer and Harken were a wash with price. Went with Garhauer and I am REALLY impressed with it's fit, finish, and construction. Unibody steel, where lewmar has screws and multiple pieces for example.

I also have a harken cruising furler and love it.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 07-27-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Sloop,

300 lbs on meds style of boat, assuming the same length as yours and mine, about 28-30' would not make too much of a difference. Mine at 6500 or soo lbs, 300 lbs is 5%. While not really significant, enough for a true shll we say red or blue blooded racer to get enough of an advantage over another boat, probably. Now take a mumm/farr 30 that is 3000-3500 lbs IIRC, now we are talking 10% less wt overall. Now talking a pretty BIG advantage over lighter gear where appropriate.

Be it good or bad, kinda like the steel vs PRG vs carbon/epoxy hulls.......Then again, if you are a landlubber trying to sail......and like to land lubber your boat, steel is the way to go, or so I read......not sure about that meself......that is another story.

Med, I was at the anacortes WM a few weeks back, pretty nice after the remodel. That is the WM you hit is it not?

marty
Old 07-27-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Med, I was at the anacortes WM a few weeks back, pretty nice after the remodel. That is the WM you hit is it not?

marty
I try not to, but yeah, that's the one in town. Actually, after doubling the size of the store and the awesome remodel, they now actually HAVE the stuff you want in the store, not just the catalogue. After the remodel I do spend a lot more money in the store.

I still try and get everything at Anacortes Marine Hardware. I'm on a first name basis with the guys there, and during my time in the yard, they got tired of ringing up purchases a couple times a day and just told me to walk out with all the stuff and settle up at the end. Instant store account because they recognize my face. They guys there also REALLY know their stuff. It's nice that a couple of the real old-school hardware stores still exist.

MedSailor
SloopJonB likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 07-29-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
The biggest differences between all the marine hardware companies and their products seems to me to be the budgets of their advertising departments.

The most crucial consideration in purchasing hardware and rigging is proper sizing and material. All the products have safe working loads and the companies stand behind their claims. They also all have a useful lifespan. Garhauer used to actually stamp an expiration date into some fittings.
If you buy a block that is rated for a certain load from any of them, then you can count on them working as advertised.
There will always be differences. If something weighs less, they you may have to compromise longevity. If you want bearings, you may have to compromise working strength. If you want strength, you may have to compromise weight etc.

Advertising works, it sells products. The more you advertise, the smarter you advertise, the more product you sell.

You can create an impression that your product is superior to another by advertising it to richer people and then charging more money for it.
"If it costs more, it has to be better".

Because a company spends a fortune on advertising in all the glossies, doesn't necessarily mean that they produce the best product for the money. But it does mean that they have to recoup the money they spent for the ads.
So, the only difference between the offerings of Harken, or Fredericksen/Ronstan, and Garhauer, or Barton, are their advertising budgets??? Uhhh, I don't think so.... :-)

I believe once you get upwards of 40 feet or so, the superior performance of a brand like Harken really starts shining through... As one of the OP's original questions was regarding a traveler for a mid-boom sheeting setup on a 50-footer, I think whatever premium one might pay for Harken over, say, Garhauer for such an application, would be money well spent...

Not all of us who favor hardware from a manufacturer like Harken are rich guys who have been duped by clever marketeers... Some of us may simply choose it, because we may feel it's the best... :-)