SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Harken VS Lewmar (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/101686-harken-vs-lewmar.html)

benesailor 07-22-2013 07:08 PM

Harken VS Lewmar

Can someone explain to me why lately i see all the magazines and racers on the Harken kick. Is Harken really that much better?
Is Harken primarily for racing?
Lewmar for bluewater?

olson34 07-22-2013 09:36 PM

Re: Harken VS Lewmar

Quote:

Originally Posted by benesailor (Post 1063170)
Can someone explain to me why lately i see all the magazines and racers on the Harken kick. Is Harken really that much better?
Is Harken primarily for racing?
Lewmar for bluewater?

Opinions will vary, but having owned lots of blocks over the decades from both sources, I would say that Lewmar is aimed mainly at the low to mid-range production market, and with light to medium duty in mind, at most.
Racing and Blue water are just labels - usually used to up-sell or down-sell newbies.
:rolleyes:

Harken would always be a go-to choice for any light weight, higher-load and hard-usage gear, IMHO.

Right after Harken, do consider Garhauer. They don't have the first rate R&D budget of Harken but their stuff is strong and normally over built. Their casting and welding are first rate, also.

I'd say it's not really "Harken vs Lewmar"... just different products for different markets.

Regards,
Loren

SHNOOL 07-22-2013 09:51 PM

Amen - Harken makes stellar stuff, but I am on a budget, and so far have loved my Garhauer stuff. I'll also say Ronstan makes some reliable blocks.

algee 07-22-2013 10:08 PM

I had the occasion to call Harken customer service a few months ago, and I was totally amazed. My call was answered on th 2nd or 3rd ring by a REAL PERSONand she put me through to a tech who who explained my problem, and answered my question to perfection in less than 1 minute!!!!! I was totally blown away, and all from Wisconsin USA.

Every company selling stuff touts their " Customer Service", but do yourself a favor and try calling the 800 number before you buy their product and see what happens.

MarkSF 07-23-2013 01:31 AM

Surprised no-one has mentioned Schaefer yet. My Bristol was built mostly with their hardware, and it lasts and lasts. Excellent quality and metallurgy. At 30 years old I've had to replace two of their blocks, which is no not bad going I think. One was the fiddle block for the main, where the shackle was almost worn through by 30 years of sailing. The other was a cheek block where the sheave cracked from UV exposure.

I've used Garhauer extensively too, for upgrades. Excellent quality especially for the cost.

T37Chef 07-23-2013 10:00 AM

I have Harken & Garhauer gear on the boat, both have excellent customer service as already mentioned. Garhauer stuff seems to be more customizable and sometimes appears a bit clunky and over built. Harken is very well engineered and produce, cleaner more racer like appeal and typically lighter.

I have a Harken furler and a Garhauer traveller and blocks, pleased with both. Both made in the good old USA which is a plus in my book.

Raymarine should send their customoer service department to Harken for some training it seems ;)

JomsViking 07-23-2013 05:05 PM

For winches, nothing beats Andersen.

SloopJonB 07-24-2013 02:07 AM

Except old S/S Barients. :D

benesailor 07-24-2013 05:25 PM

I'm starting to get the picture. I would agree the harken blocks look very "advanced" and efficient. I think i may upgrade to their blocks.
Not sold on their furlers. Look really light duty, high maintenance. I'll keep my pro furl.
Anybody use harken travelers on a big boat? Do you like it?

Thanks for the input

T37Chef 07-24-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benesailor (Post 1064221)
Not sold on their furlers. Look really light duty, high maintenance. I'll keep my pro furl.

UH :confused: