Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Re: Window AC Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
Well, the window unit that I walk past on the way to my boat is probably the loudest thing on our dock in the evening. We're in a pretty quiet marina.
That is kind of lame. They should buy a new one. One of the advantages of a $99 ac is you can replace it when it goes bad. Sounds like theirs is long overdue!

I for sure agree people have a responsibility to keep the noise and light to a minimum. Halyards included! I used to get in arguments with people in my marina about that. They seem to think you should never go on anyones boat for anything if they are not there. If your halyards are perpetually clanking, I am coming aboard to fix it.
T37Chef, zeehag and Lubrdink like this.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Halyards included! I used to get in arguments with people in my marina about that. They seem to think you should never go on anyones boat for anything if they are not there. If your halyards are perpetually clanking, I am coming aboard to fix it.
Knife = Quiet They usually learn after the first time
Old 07-23-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Knife = Quiet They usually learn after the first time
Ooohh.... that's so final. Bungees are much more humane.
chef2sail and jimgo like this.
Old 07-23-2013
S/V Glenn E

Lubrdink is on a distinguished road

Thanks all for the great posts! This thing's going viral. Must've touched the redneck nerve.
Old 07-23-2013
S/V Glenn E

Lubrdink is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Window AC Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
That is kind of lame. They should buy a new one. One of the advantages of a $99 ac is you can replace it when it goes bad. Sounds like theirs is long overdue!

I for sure agree people have a responsibility to keep the noise and light to a minimum. Halyards included! I used to get in arguments with people in my marina about that. They seem to think you should never go on anyones boat for anything if they are not there. If your halyards are perpetually clanking, I am coming aboard to fix it.
We don't worry too much about noise. Our dockmates suggested the AC (they want us to hang around for some reason) and the folks on the next dock spend their nights blowing up quarter sticks of dynamite and arriving from the lake at 2 am likkered up and radios blaring. Yes, to your question, they are stinkboaters. An AC unit would not only make the boat cool, it would also mask the noise of ungracious neighbors.

Thanks again for ALL the great suggestions.
Old 07-23-2013
Salty

MSter is on a distinguished road

I also use a window unit in the companionway. I have long since done away with hatch boards in favor of a swing-out door. During the spring/summer/fall in Florida, I replace my teak/lexan door with a starboard replacement containing a cutout to fit the window AC. This allows me to just swing open the door when entering or exiting the cabin. No more stepping over the unit for the admiral as her legs are too short!

To solve the drainage issue, I fitted a grommet into the AC chassis and plumbed 1/4" aquarium tubing to one of the cockpit scuppers. This set up works like a champ! 5500 btu's keep the cabin nice and comfy and I can get 7-8 hours in econo-mode on the honda 2K gen.

Yes.....I tend to anchor away from most boats due to noise. When we cant avoid neighbors, we only run this rig in the evening long enough to get the heat out of the boat.
Old 07-23-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

mSter, do you have a pic of your companionway with the AC installed? I'm having trouble envisioning the swinging doors with the AC in place.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2013

H and E is on a distinguished road

I bought a 5000 A/C window unit and placed it in the forward hatch with some cobbled up Styrofoam duck work. I did this as a temporary installation while I was replacing the engine to make it more comfortable in the 90+ temperatures. I found that it would only drop the temp about 10 degrees from the OAT during the mid day sun. At night it got real cold but warmed up as the sun came up higher in the sky. Also, I had rigged the boom tent over the cabin area to keep the hot sun off the boat. Mast was down. Keeping it cooler was well worth the effort-even being a bit ugly. Boat is a Catalina 25 and with no insulation it doesnít take long to get warm inside. I also set a fan on the floor forward to blow the cool air aft to the engine area.
Old 07-24-2013
Salty

MSter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by H and E View Post
Boat is a Catalina 25 and with no insulation it doesnít take long to get warm inside. I also set a fan on the floor forward to blow the cool air aft to the engine area.
Although 10 degrees does not sound like a big temperature drop, it really is when you also consider the reduction in humidity. We have a 5500 btu unit on our 39' Irwin Citation and are very comfortable with it.

If running the AC during the heat of the day, we close off the v-berth to reduce the area to be cooled. If the weather allows, we try to beat the heat by exploring/splashing in the dighy or finding a "cool" place to hangout ashore.
Old 07-24-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Be careful running AC unit with a generator, closed boat with carbon monoxide lingering around is a killer. Have detectors installed JIC