Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-23-2013

Agri is on a distinguished road
Heard a squeal and then

So I was heading out for a evening sail and about 5 minutes in I heard an incredibly loud squeal, and then I realized that there was no water coming out of the exhaust and the engine was overheating so I ended up turning around and sailing back to the anchorage.

Broke out my copy of this old boat to try and diagnose the problem. It said to check the raw water pump impeller, which I did, and found out that while the piece its attached to is still spinning when the engine is running the impelled is stripped and not spinning with it. That repair looks easy enough and I'm hoping a local boat store here in Vancouver will have a replacement part.

However I'm still nervous about what that squeal was. Is there something else I shouldI check? The engine still seems to run fine. It goes into gear and moves the boat forward and backward same as before. With the cover off the impeller I can feeling the pump is pushing air through at a good rate.

I just feel that the squeal was to loud for such a little piece of rubber. All the vanes are still on the impeller they are starting to seperate though.

Im sure you can all guess what I forgot to double check when I started the engine, hey there is a first time for everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Heard a squeal and then

A loud metallic squeal would likely be bearings giving out on a power steering pump or cooling pump or alternator on a car.
I can't imagine an impeller exploding in a raw water pump would make the same sound.
Hopefully it is just the impeller though.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2013

goehner2 is on a distinguished road

It may just have been the squeal of the drive belt against the water pump pulley as the pump quit turning momentarily when the impeller failed.
Old 07-23-2013
Commodore

n8kraft is on a distinguished road

Squealing on my last boat was improper belt tension to the water pump. I adjusted the tensioning screw and it went away. I later replaced the belt because it started squealing again.
Old 07-23-2013

CapnChuck is on a distinguished road

One of our recent additions to the boat is a raw water flow alarm. It's fairly inexpensive and lets us know immediately if the water flow stops, long before the engine starts to overheat. It gives up peace of mind too. The Trawler Beach House: What Works And What Doesn't . Chuck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-23-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Don't buy one impellor buy 2. Like spare belts an impellor is an essential spare. Keep the tools you needed to change the impellor in a bag with the spare impellor.
Old 07-23-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by goehner2 View Post
It may just have been the squeal of the drive belt against the water pump pulley as the pump quit turning momentarily when the impeller failed.
Right is there a belt driving the water pump? It could have squeeled when it failed. If so I'd go looking for the obstruction that caused the failure.

My pump broke 3 years ago and the busted off impeller blade sat in the system until the next year when it shifted and blocked the system causing overheating. So always look for the obstruction and/or impeller pieces.
Old 07-24-2013

Agri is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for all the help and tips. Turns out I had a spare impeller ob the boat, bought a new one as well just in case. Replaced the impeller this after work today and fired up the engine. Everything worked fine. The squeal I heard lasted maybe a second and now that I think about it sounded quite similar to an alternator belt. The belt seems fine though. As for the old impeller there were no missing vanes, a couplebhad started to seperate but that's it. I'm thinking then squeal may have been the brass connector stripping out the inside of the impeller as they came apart.

Thanks again for all the help. I'm definitely going to be looking over the stern more often from now on.
Old 07-24-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

as cheap as Impellers are. I begin to think that replacing them yearly should be a "must do" when getting ready for the sailing season

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 07-24-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Don't buy one impellor buy 2. Like spare belts an impellor is an essential spare. Keep the tools you needed to change the impellor in a bag with the spare impellor.
Seriously?
If I kept tools in little baggies, one for each job, I'd have a couple dozen sets of tools scattered around the boat instead of one well organized tool kit.

Okay, actually I have two tool kits, one well organized, one nantucket bucket bag with all the essentials.

Although I will go with a wooden plug on a wire at the through hull I also have a full set in my tool area. I've been through the navy's submarine trainer (USS Dixie Cup) - water flooding in and spraying around makes it darn hard to spot a brown plug in a dark hole/under sole.

I believe it's best to keep everything where you know it is, not where it might be needed.