Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013

ahab211 is on a distinguished road
Bang, ouch

A newcboater at our marina hit my Catalina 27 on the swim ladder and stern pulpit hard enough to put a hole in his Searay hull above the letters! He wants to replace the pulpit himself to avoid insurance claim.i sent him am link from CatalinaDirect.com. The cost is $973 plus shipping and duty to Canada. His choice was to take it home and try to straighten the flattened support. Also, shallow 2" screws pulled out at base. The pulpit is shifted slightly forward in starboard side. Should I let him install it or insist on local marina mechanic specialized in sailboat repair? Could also pull the plug as I've sent an e-mail to my insurance reporting incident. The marina has a statement of him accepting liability(he did try to flee though but other boaters stopped him). Nice guys sometimes burn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2013

Bruce_L is on a distinguished road
Re: Bang, ouch

Let a professional fix your boat, the guy that hit you should have insurance. Unless he is an established marine mechanic w a good reputation I would not let him touch my boat... There could be other small hidden damage items that could lead to leaks or fiberglass delamination later on in time... get it done right, you are the one in charge here...

Sorry about the damage, hope everything works out for you...

Bruce L
jimgo likes this.

Last edited by Bruce_L; 07-23-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria

I agree that someone OTHER than the culprit should do the repair... If you agree to let him do it he (1) may never get around to it, (2) will likely do a poor job.
Old 07-23-2013
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road

Sorry, but it is not his choice how it gets fixed but your right to have it put back professionally into the state it was before his unfortunate accident.
Old 07-23-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Tried to flee (reflects on his standards), doesn't understand engineering (fixing flattened pulpit tubing) probably doesn't know how to ensure new installation is watertight through the deck, or that the deck may need some repair and strengthening...

It is hard enough to find an alleged professional who is in the business that will actually do it right. Don't waste your time, tell the man if he doesn't want you to put through the insurance claim, he's got one week, seven days no more, to see the professional you've chosen, pay the man up front, and have the repair done the way you want it done. By a professional.

That is more than fair.

Rashly assuming you might be in the US, state or federal laws usually require filing a police report when the value of an accident exceeds a specific threshold, and with a thousand dollar pulpit, you (and he) are probably required to file anyway.
Old 07-23-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I agree with the others, he shouldn't be the one doing the repair. I might consider letting him buy the ladder if it's cheaper than the actual repair person can get it, or source supplies as long as the repair person thinks they are of acceptable quality. But, otherwise, I'd want someone qualified to do the work.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2013

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas

Trying to flee is a reflection of his ethics. My concern is that it would never be right and you would have zero recourse to have it corrected. Get a pro to do it. If it's not right, they will fix it.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 07-23-2013

svjobeth is on a distinguished road

What everyone above me has said, for the most part.

His insurance company should take care of it, and they should send a surveyor to inspect the damages to your boat. The other option is for you to go through your own insurance company and let them seek recovery from the other party's insurer for the recovery of your deductible.

Letting him take care of it is not a good idea. At all.
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 07-23-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Yup...

Keep him out of it. All you need to deal with is the insurance company or companies.

Regardless if you pay someone or do it yourself. If it were me I would get estimates for the full on repair and then decide if I'm going to pay someone else or pay myself to do it.

Either way, keep this clown as far away from your boat as possible.
Old 07-23-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Sounds to me as if some bolts pulled through your deck as well, meaning there is some glass/epoxy work to be done.
You may be trying to be nice but don't do it at your own expense. Get an estimate from someone YOU are comfortable doing the work and IF he still wants to pay out of pocket then so be it. Betcha he lets insurance handle it...
The old bent pulpit will never be the same, ever.
If he drove his motorboat into your sailboat how much boating experience do you think this fellow has? Meaning he probably has no clue as to how to do a good repair to YOUR boat.

Everybody has one:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.