LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013

sully75 is on a distinguished road
Pimp my outboard mount

Basic stats
28' Pearson Triton
Suzuki 6hp long shaft outboard
Fixed engine mount

Outboard performance is awful. This outboard came with the boat. I think it's less the outboard than the mount. It's fixed and the motor ends up very high with just the prop and the first fun in the water. Also due to the angle of the transom, the motor ends up angling upwards. The previous owner for some reason pulled out the locking mechanism but I was able to get a piece of drill rod in the whole and get the engine horizontal without much improvement.

I think that the mount is too far inboard and too high. Additionally, even with the engine kicked up, the prop is still in the water. It also interferes with the self steering.

Performance is very poor. In a dead calm I can get close to three knots. That's with the motor just a little passed idle. Moving the throttle passed there just makes a lot of noise and vibration with no speed increase. The other night it was blowing stiffly and I could make no forward motion with the outboard against the wind. It's close to useless.

My aim is to get a new moveable mount and mount it on the port side of the boat. It will be easier to access the shifter that way. I would plan on mounting the new mount as far outboard as I could get it, and try to drop the engine at least 12 or 18 inches.

Any thoughts? Can you suggest a good mount? Do you think performance will be significantly improved?

Thanks!
Pimp my outboard mount-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374662187.693263.jpgPimp my outboard mount-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374662206.755782.jpgPimp my outboard mount-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374662229.255243.jpgPimp my outboard mount-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374662247.956741.jpgPimp my outboard mount-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374662273.655513.jpg
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Pimp my outboard mount

With the angle of the motor, the trust is not pushing you across the water, it is partially exerting effort to push your transom up and away from the water. That is wasting energy. Its hard to tell from the pics whether the prop is sufficient submerged, but that could have an affect too.

You are right to consider a new or modified mount.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-24-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

For a 28 footer 6hp is a tad underpowered.

That said, you need to get the engine lower so the prop is more effective. I'd suggest a mount that actually lowers the engine. As an example:
Garelick 4-Stroke Outboard Motor Bracket - 9-1/2 in Travel
You can always extend throttle and shifter controls with either OEM gear or simple pvc pipe.
RobGallagher likes this.
Old 07-24-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
Any thoughts? Can you suggest a good mount? Do you think performance will be significantly improved?

Thanks!
The boat was designed with an inboard engine in place. An outboard engine should never have been added to your boat. Get rid of the outboard and the bracket. Install inboard A4 or diesel.
Old 07-24-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

If you are going to stick with the outboard (installing an inboard can get expensive in a hurry) I also recommend that you install a lifting mount.

If you are in the NJ area, I have one I am about to take off of my Sea Sprite. I am going with a removeable sidemount

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

We have a similar design and use a 6 HP Tohatsu just fine, we get 5.5 knots at 20% throttle. I also believe James Baldwin @ Atom Voyages used the same motor without any trouble on his Pearson Triton. He claims he gets 5.8 knots in dead calm with a 6 HP Tohatsu:

Atom Voyages - Triton #503 Refit Part 1

If you are getting a lot of vibration and little power, you might take the motor off and have it serviced, that motor should push your boat fine. Someone told me that you need 1hp per ton of displacement with an outboard, I don't know how that scales beyond 28 feet, but so far it's proven correct for our experience.

The mount does make a big difference, being able to lower and raise it is awesome. Our mount is a POS, we are either going to build a well (see above) or get a better stainless mount soon, Garlick makes nice ones that are spring loaded to help with the weight of the motor. I'm really tempted to build a well this fall though, having the motor in the locker would be really convenient. I just have to be brave enough to cut the holes and build it out. Being able to raise and lower is key, though, as it keeps the motor out of the water and protected.

One thing to note, you will get a lot of people in here telling you that you need to put an inboard in the boat. While I do not want to discount their advice completely, I found more people that had made significant passages advise me otherwise. We were in a similar situation where our inboard was removed and the PO sailed the boat without a motor, we installed the outboard with intent of putting a diesel in. When I called to get a quote to put a Betamarine 14 in, the quote came in around $15k including labor, which is over 3x what we paid for the boat. The labor alone came in at over $7k. I concluded it wasn't worth it and kept the outboard, a decision which has proven to be a relief. The storage space it opens up is really nice, you don't have the odor down below, and maintaining the motor is easier. Just make sure you've sealed everything down below the waterline if you decide to stay with the outboard.

EDIT:

It appears that I can't read. For some reason, I thought you were using a Tohatsu. I can't really comment on the Suzuki's ability to push the boat, you might try a different prop and see if that helps. I'd also look for a mount that travels at least 15in.

You might consider selling that motor and getting a Tohatsu Sail Pro, the extra 5 inches on the shaft may help a lot, it'll allow you to get the prop deeper and is proven to work on the Triton. It'll cost you in the short term, just depends if you want to make the investment or not. We paid $1500 for ours brand new, I looked at used ones for ~$1100.

Last edited by Shinook; 07-24-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-24-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road

Sully: your boat is just too heavy to expect that size outboard to push it at much more than 3 or 4 knots, even under the best conditions. You could maximize your current engine's efficiency by getting the prop somewhat lower, but it doesn't look to me like you will reach hull speed with that engine. The Triton is a heavy, full keel beast that probably needs at least 10 or 15 hp to achieve that kind of speed under power.

My two cents: if you are going to keep your current engine, get a new motor mount that will put the engine low enough to allow the cavitation plate to be submerged while the boat is moving (including while making a sharp turn), and make sure you have a high thrust prop. I don't think the engine is too close to the boat as you theorize. That shouldn't have any impact on its ability to provide efficient straight ahead thrust. The distance between the outboard and the stern has really only one significant impact: ability to use the controls. By the way: don't assume that the previous owner did extensive research before installing the current set up and that this is as good as it gets. So often, I've seen a completely inappropriate engine on the back of a boat, and the answer as to how that came about is usually along the lines of "I got it at a good price". Never mind that it is too big/small/short/long; it was available! Next most popular: "yeah, I know it doesn't fit, but I don't have the time/money to retrofit the mount to make more efficient". Without knowing more about your particular situation, I wouldn't be surprised if some combination of those two answers is how this engine wound up on your boat.

If you decide to go with a new engine, you need to up the HP. Your options open up with respect to the motor mount as you might be able to keep your existing one as many manufacturers make "long shaft" and "extra long shaft" models. Its hard to tell from your photos, but that looks like a standard length (15") shaft model (measured from the top of the mounting bracket to the cavitation plate) you have now. Long shaft models are usually 20", and extra long shafts can be 25". If you use your boat for mostly day sailing and limited cruising in sheltered waters, you don't need more than a good reliable outboard. No need to install an inboard. As some others here have opined, they take up room below, are noisy, can smell, and are horribly expensive in relation to the cost of a boat like yours. That being said, if you contemplate more extended voyaging in less sheltered areas, I think an inboard is really a must.

In sum, spending a couple (ok, maybe a few) hundred bucks on a new mount and new prop for your existing engine should lead to noticable improvement. Spending about $3-4K for a new four stroke long shaft should markedly improve your performance under power. Spending about 10-15K for a new inboard will probably give you comparable power performane as the big outboard (although you will be much less manuverable with the inboard under power), but far greater range, less vulnerablility and much better performance in heavy weather.
Old 07-24-2013

danr620 is on a distinguished road

Sully,

I'm sure the others are right about the hp, but never the less the motor needs to be mounted level. Spend the money on the adjustable mount or mark the existing mount to make it level, remove and go see a good welder.
If the it was mounted level, you would at least get the available performce out of the motor.

good luck

Dan
Old 08-01-2013

sully75 is on a distinguished road

So for the record it turned out that my prop was "spinning" which means that the rubber bushing integral to the prop had decintigrated. That explains the slowly dwindling performance. I ordered a new prop. I'm waiting for it to come. I'm hoping for significantly improved performance. I took the old mount off and dropped it three inches down and a few inches outboard. So I should have less cavitation I think. Next season I'd like to get a swing mount but money is tight at the moment.

Thanks for all your thoughts.
jimgo likes this.
Old 08-01-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear it was a (relatively) simple fix. Hope you see a huge difference in performance!
1975 Albacore 15