Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Boatlife Lifeseal

Has anyone used this stuff? I know silicon is a big no-no, how is Lifeseal any better or different? Is contamination a concern?

I usually use butyl tape, but I have a fitting that I need to use a different sealant for since I can't get the compression I need for butyl to be effective.

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2013

hopcar is on a distinguished road
Re: Boatlife Lifeseal

I've used it and I like it. It's flexible like silicone but adheres more like a polyurethane.
It's available in clear. It can be used with plastics that usually require you to use silicone and I think you can paint it. (Not sure about the paint thing) When I want a clear sealant, this is the one I use.

What is it you're trying to seal?
Old 07-25-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Silicon is not banned aboard, it is just useless in certain installations. Using it to bed deck hardware is not going to last more than temporary and be a real mess to clean up and do right later. However, its the sealant of choice to seal the access lid on my holding tank, for example.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-25-2013

olson34 is on a distinguished road

We have used LifeSeal for about 20 years for a lot of jobs above the waterline. It was tops for adhering our new external Lexan portlights in '95 -- the black version.
Never a leak since. I use their clear version for deck fittings with no leaks or problems.
I just bought and started using some Maine's high quality sealant, also. Works fine so far.
Just shows that there's more than one right answer!

Loren

Last edited by olson34; 07-26-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 07-25-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

I use Lexel or Big Stretch from sashco.

Lexel® - The superior alternative to silicone.

I have been using it for years in the building industry. Great stuff.

I won't use silicone for anything.
Old 07-25-2013
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road
I agree with Bene on Lexel for a rugged elastic bond and have had good results with Lifecaulk since its introduction. Then again my Morgan which is 47 yrs young has original joints of 5200 still resilient and.....tenacious so each to its proper use!
Old 07-26-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Lifecalk is not acceptable on certain plastics, check the usage before using it. Lifeseal is okay on plastics (it's made by the same company), but not as "sticky".

I use them both and butyl, it just depends on the application. Lifecalk is my least favorite to work with, it gets on everything, but it seems to work well.
Old 07-26-2013

Thanks for the advice folks.

The fitting is a rope clutch mounted on a wood mounting plate bolted to the deck. I mounted two earlier this week using butyl tape and both leaked, which is the first time I've had that problem using butyl tape.

My assumption was that the angle of the deck prevented the fitting from getting proper compression on the tape in certain areas, resulting in the leak. The clutch has six bolt holes, so that's a lot of holes in the deck and several were leaking profusely in a rainstorm we had. In an attempt to stem the leaks as quick as possible (it's been wet here, so I wanted to fix it fast so the caulk had enough time to dry), I ran into the store at our marina and grabbed what I thought was Lifecaulk, but got Lifeseal instead. It didn't hit me until it was too late that it was basically silicon, which I hate since I swear at the PO up and down for using silicon on everything.

Turns out, when I went to remove and bed #2, I realized my silly mistake. I tightened all the bolts individually, but failed to go over them again after all six had been tightened. All but one or two were loose, after tightening them I've not observed any leaks on either fitting.
Old 07-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

You should also countersink the mounting holes for any sealant that will be under extreme compression to work well. The advantage from butyl is that is never dries and stay elastic to take up some movement. However, if it is compressed out, it won't work either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
You should also countersink the mounting holes for any sealant that will be under extreme compression to work well. The advantage from butyl is that is never dries and stay elastic to take up some movement. However, if it is compressed out, it won't work either.
Ya, I did, on both the wood mounting block and the deck itself.

I'm only making assumptions on why it leaked, I was shocked when I pulled the fitting out, both the mounting plate and clutch were difficult to remove due to the butyl and the bolts were covered in it. I can't figure out how water would have found it's way in.