SF Bay - how long do you get out of Pettit Trinidad SR? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-28-2013
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Re: SF Bay - how long do you get out of Pettit Trinidad SR?

I got 6 years out of 2.5 coats of Interlux Ultra; when the boat was hauled the paint still looked good it pressure washed off the slime and there was no hard growth. Diver said it was becoming stubborn to scrub clean; but a different diver said the same thing at 2.5 years so I guess it depends on who is doing the diving too.

My boat is at Marina Bay in Richmond; lots of growth on the dock floats and pilings, but not as severe barnacle growth as in SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
I got 6 years out of 2.5 coats of Interlux Ultra
Right. Everybody else in the world hauls for paint every 2-3 years but you somehow magically get 200%-300% more life out of a mediocre product in the Bay Area. How does that happen, I wonder?
Old 07-28-2013
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough

I don't have my boat scrubbed every month or two. The paint is 65% copper and it's a hard anti-fouling. How is this inferior to Trinidad SR? The bottom paint does release when wiped lightly so it refreshes on the surface when the bottom is cleaned. I don't mind if there is slime so I only have the bottom cleaned every 4-6 months. Works for me.
Old 07-28-2013

Quote:
I don't have my boat scrubbed every month or two.
Many boat owners don't have their bottoms cleaned every month or two, and they don't get 6 years from their paint. The reason is that the products are simply not designed to provide anti fouling for that long. After two or three years, enough biocide has been released that the paint becomes essentially ineffective. This is true whether the boat has been cleaned twice during that period, or eighteen times or not at all.

Quote:
The paint is 65% copper and it's a hard anti-fouling. How is this inferior to Trinidad SR?
In my experience, Ultra just doesn't perform as well or as long as Trinidad and I speak as a guy who is in the water every day, cleaning both of those products. They may have similar copper content, but after six or nine months, I can tell one from another quite easily, based strictly on how well each respective paint is doing its job.

Quote:
The bottom paint does release when wiped lightly so it refreshes on the surface when the bottom is cleaned.
A boat in the Bay Area that is being cleaned only twice a year is not being "wiped lightly", especially not when the bottom paint is six years old. But if this maintenance regimen works for you and you are happy with the performance of the boat between hull cleanings- hey, that's great.
Old 07-28-2013
STARBOARD!!

I think you misunderstand my comment about being wiped lightly. If I put my hand in the water and wipe the slime off it comes off easily and then blue paint begins to release. The diver said the paint was doing fine until the last few months before I had the boat hauled. When it hauled out it was easy to see that the diver needed to scrub it pretty heavily to get the growth off; don't know if it was hard growth or just stubborn slime. The prop was heavily fouled with barnacles where the paint protection had worn away. There was not any soft growth like tunicates or anything hard like barnacles or mussels on it so I assume the paint was still doing it's job to a decent extent.

I have Ultra on my hull again; it's been 1 year and 5 months. Honestly I did not expect it to last as long as it did. Maybe there just is not very much current where my boat is berthed, so the copper is leaching out more slowly.
Old 07-28-2013

Quote:
Maybe there just is not very much current where my boat is berthed, so the copper is leaching out more slowly.
That's not how hard paints work. In a paint like Ultra, the biocide leaches out at a set rate independent of fast or how slowly water moves past the hull. Current or water temperature or any other environmental factor is going to have a negligible effect on leach rate.
Old 07-29-2013
STARBOARD!!

OK; you were asking for an explanation on how my bottom paint lasted 6 years. I offered a possible reason. For WHATEVER reason it lasted 6 years. I don't know why, it just did. As I said before it lasted much longer than I expected it to; but it did last longer than it -should- have so I'm sticking with what works for me. If you want to see pictures of what it looked like when hauled I'll put some up.
Old 07-29-2013

Quote:
If you want to see pictures of what it looked like when hauled I'll put some up.
Would love to see 'em.
Old 07-29-2013
STARBOARD!!

http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery/...php?photo=7979

Checked my records; it was 5.5 years between haulouts. Boat was berthed at Marina Bay in Richmond for the duration.

Last edited by KeelHaulin; 07-29-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-29-2013

Maybe you have a different definition of what "lasting" means regarding anti fouling paint. So there's still paint on the hull. Doesn't mean there's biocide left in the paint. And if there isn't biocide left in the paint, the paint isn't going to do its job. Anti fouling paint that has depleted its biocide hasn't "lasted", regardless of what the bottom looks like after a nice pressure washing.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 07-29-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.