SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   I need some lifeline help (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/101809-i-need-some-lifeline-help.html)

abrahamx 07-25-2013 06:55 PM

I need some lifeline help

I want to get new lifelines and was going to take them off and measure them today but I am not sure what to do with the way they are now and the bow pulpit. The boat is a Tartan 30 and the life lines are led down to the deck at the bow. The Cat 27 next to me is the same way. If I run the line level to the attachment point on the pulpit the line turns about 15-20* towards the outside of the boat. The way the bow pulpit angles to the outside the life line would be 6-8 inches outside the toerail. Just wondering why the line would be ran down like that in the first place and if I should keep it that way. Personally I would like it to be level the length of the boat but to do that I would have to run the lifeline to the center of the bow pulpit (if I want to keep it inside the toerail "plane") or have it kick out, which seems to pull on the other stanchion. Neither one seems cool to me really. What to do? I just want to pull these and get the job done with but not sure how, exactally to proceed.

BubbleheadMd 07-26-2013 05:51 AM

They run to the deck at the pulpit because the jib would have to pass over them. If the lifelines were at the top of the pulpit, the foot of the jib would be a mess.

abrahamx 07-26-2013 09:20 AM

Re: I need some lifeline help

hmmmm, really. The boats I've sailed on the jib always skirted against the lifelines perfectly. I have not sailed this boat yet. Good thing I asked. I would have had them made the other way. Different on different boats I guess. Kind of sucks cuz it sure looks ugly.

abrahamx 07-26-2013 09:43 AM

why when I look through pics online does it seem its 50/50 on leading the lifeline down or not?

jimgo 07-26-2013 10:41 AM

My boat doesn't have them lead down to the deck before the pulpit:

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...pseed908b1.jpg

BubbleheadMd 07-26-2013 10:56 AM

Let me amend my statement:

If your jib can be sheeted inboard of the lifelines, then running them down to the deck is not necessary, but the foot might still be mangled on beam and broad reaches if the sail is a "deck sweeper".

My big genoas sheet just outside of the lifelines, even when close-hauled. High-cut clews that are at lifeline level, also won't interfere.

Sorry, I was typing from my phone and wasn't very complete in my statement.

abrahamx 07-26-2013 10:59 AM

Do they kick outside the toe rail? I really need to figure this out asap. I already pulled the lines and I would like to get it done. If I go up top they will be to short to lead them down later. No room for error here I just dont under stand why some have it one way and others have it the other way. Does not make the decision any easier not having sailed the boat yet.

abrahamx 07-26-2013 11:05 AM

Right now there is just a standard jib on there but I do have a big 160 ish that he said has to be rolled up the other way on the furler so I have not put it up yet. also it runs a big a-sail. Sounding like I should leave them down????? That way I could always cut some off and change it later.

BubbleheadMd 07-26-2013 11:05 AM

You don't need to sail the boat. Simply hoist the jib at the dock, sheet it in close, and see if it cuts across the path of the lifelines.

If it does, and the clew is low-cut, sweeping the deck, then the jib is going to interfere with the lifelines and you might want to run them to the deck.

Actually, if your main jib tracks are on the toe-rail outside of the shrouds, the jib is probably going to interfere (if it's a low-cut sail). If your tracks are inboard of the toe rail, or inboard of the shrouds, it shouldn't interfere.

My lifelines have adjustable ends, so I can set them on the deck or pulpit as I see fit. I have inboard AND outboard tracks. My smaller jibs sheet inboard of the lifelines.

abrahamx 07-26-2013 11:51 AM

There is an inboard and outside the shrouds tracks. If they are run to the deck its probably for a reason I would guess.