SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Gear & Maintenance (
-   -   What sort of valve is this? (

PaulinVictoria 07-25-2013 09:17 PM

What sort of valve is this?
My galley sink has this:
Ignoring the general ugliness of it, what kind of valve is it? The handle only moves fore/aft through about 80 degrees, but when I had her out on the hard, the valve seemed to function just fine. Surveyor notes mentioned that it was a gate valve and it was seized, I don't think it's a gate and it's definitely not seized.

desert rat 07-25-2013 09:26 PM

Re: What sort of valve is this?
I have never seen anything like it. It looks like a gear driven gate valve.
The hoses look old enough to replace, and my curiosity says when you have it on the hard next replace the hose and clean polish and lube the valve. I would take it apart in little pieces to see how it works. Might have to replace it afterwords though.

tom_beckstedt 07-25-2013 09:37 PM

Re: What sort of valve is this?
Come on this is easy

Sent from my MID using Tapatalk 2

PaulinVictoria 07-25-2013 09:45 PM

Re: What sort of valve is this?

Come on this is easy
Clearly not that easy, or I'd know the answer, or be able to easily find it using Google :)
Care to share?

tom_beckstedt 07-25-2013 09:54 PM

Re: What sort of valve is this?
Open it drains closed it don't that is all that matters looks like mine why do you need to know the name of the valve it self?
Sent from my MID using Tapatalk 2

hopcar 07-25-2013 10:04 PM

Re: What sort of valve is this?
It is a type of gate valve. The lever moves the gate into the area under the hex nut cap thing to open it.

You say that the handle has limited travel. That's probably a good sign.

If the gate was frozen and the stem broken, I'd expect the handle to move until it was stopped by the hose.

I'd just pull the hose and see if you can control the water with the valve. If you can't, put the hose back on and arrange to put in a real seacock soon.

rugosa 07-25-2013 10:17 PM

Re: What sort of valve is this?
Predecessor to today's gate valves, simple lever action, easy to see/feel if open/closed, quality product in it's day - likely old Apollo, Groco, Buck-Algonquin, but no longer in their catalogs

PaulinVictoria 07-25-2013 11:17 PM

Re: What sort of valve is this?
OK, thanks.

fryewe 07-25-2013 11:26 PM

Re: What sort of valve is this?
If it is your galley sink drain hull valve and the sink drains and it is is seized open and that gives a bit more urgency to fixing it.

Also if there is a chance it is seized obviously you don't want to pull the hose (or pull the side plug on the valve) to look at its inner workings.

If you aren't going to be on the hard for a while and it is convenient to plug the hull connection from outboard in order to remove the hose or side plug to have a look you might want to do that.

The side plug is probably there to allow cleaning and servicing.

If it is a gate valve and is designed to be operated by a quarter turn throw of the handle then either it doesn't open very far or there may be a gear inside the valve body to amplify the throw. And if it's not designed for a quarter turn throw it is likely broken and seized.

I'd be interested in knowing what you find out.

Good luck.

hopcar 07-25-2013 11:32 PM

Re: What sort of valve is this?
Here is a drawing that shows how it works.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome