Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-27-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria
Cleaning plastic

Many of us have cockpit enclosures and need to clean the plastic panels from time to time. Plexus is a highly recommended product, but the price! I just bought (in Canada) a small (8oz) can at our marina for $22.99 (plus tax). Now, I find out that Novus Plastic Polish (google it) is equally effective, if not better and I just bought a 64oz container for $23.80 (plus tax, and shipping). After all add-ons, way cheaper! Additionally, it is not an aerosol and can be spayed on. It is a product that apparently is better known in the aviation industry.

Even the small cans are about 1/4 the price (but, if you cannot buy locally, of course factor in any shipping cost).

For What It's Worth.

Last edited by flandria; 07-27-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Re: Cleaning plastic

We do best with a drop of Joy dish detergent on a paper towel with much "elbow grease". This does us well when we've been in a place with a lot of industrial soot in the air,- 'like in Baltimore across from the Dominos Sugar plant. When the windscreen is clean we wax once a month with the spray pledge wax which we find works as well as the expensive stuff. This is pennies to the dollar of what you cite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 07-27-2013

captflood is on a distinguished road

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS; I have used OXALAIC ACID @ 25 parts water to 1 part of the acid powder brings the colour back and makes whit bright again. Be very carful how it is used as the splashes or drips can cause problems to you and orthers protect the enviroment as well hope this helps AS ALWAYS GO SAFE
Old 07-27-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

For polishing plastic taillights, headlights etc. on cars I have found "Swirl Mark Remover" to work well. Presumably it would work on dodger windows, ports etc. as well.

It's part of the lineup of most auto paint product companies - Mothers, Meguiars etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-28-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

When you say plastic, do you mean the clear panel? You have to be careful with some detergents, as these can haze clear plastic over time. Look around the marina and you'll see what I mean. Some are crystal clear and others have a slightly foggy look. Abrasives can be a problem on some, so you need to know which you have. I think it's eisenglass that you can polish, but not strataglass? Maybe the other way around, not sure. Better check.

The best inexpensive cleaner is dilluted white vinegar with water. This was recommended as the only cleaner youse, by the guy that made my enclosure. Strength dependant on amt of work necessary. Cockpit smells like a salad for an hour.

This is what we do most of the time and hit them with Plexus about twice per year, as it also has some protectant qualities.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.