Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-29-2013

Ferru88 is on a distinguished road
Keel Bolts

Hello all you knowledgable sailers out there enjoying this summer! I got a question regarding stainless steel bolts, First of all, I don't know who built it. It's a custom sloop made in France around 1988, and presently I am cleaning up the bildge. I see stainless steel bolts pertruding out of the lead pour around my centerboard trunk in various places that is encapsulated in an aluminum enclosure, which you probably know, is my keel. I am trying to understand how and in what way, these bolts help secure the keel to the hull. Now I have heard of "J" & "L" bolts but don't see a nut that would secure the bolt to a crossmember where it would make sense, unless it is under the lead pour. Anyone familiar with boat building technics related to lead keels?
Share this post on Digg
Del.icio.us
Technorati
Twitter
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2013

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Keel Bolts

I am missing something...you either have a centerboard that pivots and raises and lowers inside the trunk....or you have a keel...

The centerboard is most often secured to the boat, usually by a pivot pin or large bolt through the trunk.

the keel trunk (may have some weight which adds to the total ballast weight, or not) which I think you are talking about having several bolts that run through the bottom of boat, likely has the bolt through the floor and through the trunk and may have nuts on the bottom of the trunk on those long throughbolts. Some manufactures do run the bolts down into the keel or trunk and they have enough thread capture to meet the design requirements without nuts(think huge lag bolt). Some are adhesive attached in addition to these bolts.

More info or photos, please.
Old 07-29-2013

Plumbean is on a distinguished road

Agree, more info needed. Sounds like the boat has an encapsulated centerboard, which would be interesting ...
Old 07-30-2013

Ferru88 is on a distinguished road

That is correct! It's an encapsulated centerboard (5 ft) inside the keel which extends the draft to a total length of approximately 9' 1/2' feet. No bolts pertrude out of the bottom of the keel. The only evidence of a bolt, is the pivot pin from the side. The centerboard is operated hydraulically. I would hope that the encapsulation has other support for the keel. The vessel weighs in around 36,500. The lag bolt idea does make sense, but I would hope it is secured through other means.