Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-09-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Seachoice anchors

Used NAME BRAND anchors can be had off craigslist regularly. Several of my anchors were used name brand ones. Get yourself a nice used delta and odds are the galvanizing will still last longer than a brand new cheapie.

Agreed with fryewe though, the mantus is AWESOME. More expensive than a used delta though.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2013
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblument View Post
Seachoice came up quite a bit as a manufacturer when I was searching Amazon for whistles, visual safety signals, dock lines, etc. I don't know much yet, but I haven't seen their name ANYPLACE else, i.e., at the defender, westmarine, or here on the sailnet store sites. That, in and of itself, was enough to warn me off. Best guess... SeaChoice is probably NOT a viable sea choice. Just guessing.

Barry
Jamestown Distributors sells a large number of products in the Seachoice line; they are hardly a crap vendor. (OTOH they no longer appear to sell these particular anchors, so that might be worth considering.)

We bought the 22# Seachoice Delta/plow from them; ours was roughly made but also has lots of metal in it; decent welds; and an almost absurd amount of zinc. We're okay with it on our 1400# boat.

Bottom of the anchor is awfully flat, and the plow point could be sharper. It takes a bit of jukeing to get its nose in when the bottom is gravel. Once it dives, tho, that sucker is set. Like any plow, it is at its best in hard to soft sand; it will drag thru pure muck.

You'll have to decide the dollars/peace-of-mind calculus for yourself. We're comfortable with the Seachoice on our little boat. We'll buy Manson for the big boat. For those who think perfectly smooth welds, shiny metal, large price tag, or a brand name confers greater quality or security, might I remind you of Rocna's little metallurgy problem? Lots of Rocna owners thought they were smarter than Seachoice owners, too. Never heard of a Seachoice shaft snapping ... have you?

I'll post a couple photos of our anchor this afternoon, if time permits.
Old 08-10-2013
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

Okay, couple pics of the Seachoice, or at least what was selling as a Seachoice five years ago:

anchor2

anchor3

I wish the bottom plate were dead flush with or even slightly inset relative to the sides, so the point and edges would present better. But otherwise, it is a pretty decent anchor & totally worth the $75 delivered cost.

Many sources advise 1# per foot for your primary; that's maybe a bit cautious but allows the anchor to serve as a light 'sheet' anchor or part of a tandem storm array. You planning to put any chain on this?
Old 08-10-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Never heard of them, and I fancy myself quite the anchor geek. BTW, the weld in the picture doesn't look very good.

MedSailor
Totally agree - if a weld looks that poor in that small a picture, I'd keep looking.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-10-2013

tschmidty is on a distinguished road

I have a 13 lb as a primary on my 22 right now and it is undersized I think but I have had great luck with it grabbing solidly in decent anchoring conditions. For light/medium anchoring conditions I think a 22lb would be fine for your boat. But you'd get better advice if you told us what you're palnned conditions and use are rather than just boat size. Daysailing versus cruising are completely different situations.