Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-01-2013

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road
Netters we got a new product for you!!!

Netters check this out!

Mantus Anchor Universal Bracket

Have your emergency anchor fully rigged and ready to deploy!

This universal bracket allows you to store an anchor of any design on the rail in cockpit or on the bow

The rollers adjust and allow you to customize the bracket to snugly secure the shank of any design

The tight flitting rollers eliminate any movement, yet the anchor easily slides into the customized bracket

Made from Polished 316 L Stainless Steel

In an emergency it is often difficult to deploy the boats main anchor quickly enough especially when short on crew. Mantus Anchor Bracket allows you to have an emergency anchor on the push-pit right next to the skipper, all rigged and ready todeploy at the moments notice.
Attached Thumbnails
Netters we got a new product for you!!!-small-mantusanchor-bracket.jpg  
Old 08-01-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Netters we got a new product for you!!!

Interesting idea.

My question is if you stowe it in the cockpit, they you cannot really deploy it quickly (read: rhode), and if you stowe it on the bow, won't it be a magnet for your sails and sheets? Especially when going through a jibe or reefing?

I sure would hate to to lose my many thousand dollar sail getting snagged on the anchor. Do you see that as being an issue with that product?

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Rig a second rode. Lead it outside of your lifelines back to the cockpit. Then you can deploy an anchor from the cockpit at least as quickly as you can from the bow. Probably quicker, in fact, since you don't have to go forward.
Old 08-02-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

I'd settle for a new ad in place of the MARCH SAVINGS EVENT.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 08-02-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Rig a second rode. Lead it outside of your lifelines back to the cockpit. Then you can deploy an anchor from the cockpit at least as quickly as you can from the bow. Probably quicker, in fact, since you don't have to go forward.
I respectfully disagree with that.

First of all, it will be a terrible eyesore. Second, you will have that chain bouncing around the outside of your boat scratching the crap out of your hull. Lastly, if run on the outside, it would be a hazard when docking, possibly getting caught on a cleat or piling.

If you run it down the catwalk, then it is a tripping hazard. Nothing worse than rolling your ankle on a line or chain.

There was a time (before I marked my chain) that I followed some books advice about pulling my chain down the deck to measure it for scope. Seemed logical. I now find that advice poor seamanship. In a rocky anchorage (happens more than not), all you need to do is step on that chain or line and you have twisted your foot. Plus, the rhode inevitably can get caught on something as it plays out. This is one of those things I learned from experience. SO the thought of having 45 feet of rhode dangling off the side of my boat or on my catwalk while cruising (or even pleasure boating) scares me to death. Not with my crew (two kids).

There is a reason anchors and ground tackle are where they are on sail boats (free from running gear and stowed). Our running rigging always seems to be a magnet for anything that sticks up. I use these lights along the side of my lifelines (pictured below) and if I forget to take them off, they inevitably are ripped out by a sheet or tack/jibe. I have lost many lights that way. I cannot imagine having an entire anchor sitting up there waiting to grab it. In that case, I would actually be more scared the anchor would win!

Mantus has a VERY good product on their anchors. I like the idea and its ability to stow. I think this product is a good product too... but probably better suited for motor boats that do not share out running rigging issue. The exception here is if you purchase a backup anchor you wish to stow in the 'cockpit' area. As long as it does not have any chain/rhode attached to it, that would also work. But as a sailor, I would be really hesitant about putting that on my bow or anywhere forward of midships.

My opinions.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: