Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-01-2013
jimbo

boknows is on a distinguished road
longer hitch for launching boat

Just copying an old idea but I thought I would post it to help somebody. I made a 5 ft long bar and ball because I was having to get to deep in the water to launch my oday 25.
Attached Thumbnails
longer hitch for launching boat-20130801_134436.jpg   longer hitch for launching boat-20130801_134453.jpg  
Old 08-01-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road
Re: longer hitch for launching boat

How much tongue weight on your trailer? Looks like a couple hundred pounds would either bend the square tube or have you doing wheelies. I'll bet it backs up good though...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2013
Hull Number 33

OldColumbia is on a distinguished road

Back in the early 80's I had a Venture 17 that had a tongue extension on the trailer mounted on the left side of the trailer tongue box that was held by two metal straps welded to the trailer center bar. To use it, you had to switch from the main trailer ball to the one mounted on the extension and extend the extension it's full length. The problem was that you had to be careful on some ramps with a steep incline not to "High center" the extension until the vehicle was on the same incline as the trailer and boat.
Worked fairly well at Lake Mead when the launch depth was very shallow, but you might have water over the rear wheel openings in a Ford Bronco.
Old 08-02-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

We've used a tow strap in a pinch. Just steer the trailer wheel and let gravity do the work. Getting it out was even easier.
Old 08-02-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Yep Strap launch... although a decent set of dolly wheels helps. The hard wheel on the adjustable dolly is not built to take those kinds of stresses. Tractor supply or a hardware store will have fixed, or rotating dolly wheels that can hold up to #600 of tongue weight.

Make sure your boat tongue weight is well positive, chock the wheels of the trailer.. unhitch, lower trailer down onto the dolly wheels... rig a strap from the trailer to the tow vehicle (actually do that first before you unhitch)... then slowly take up the slack until the chocks can be removed... Back down.

This procedure requires you to be all lined up first, but it allows you as much extra distance as you like (as long as the strap), to get the boat in... It ALSO requires a very long ramp.
Old 08-02-2013

sailor1950 is on a distinguished road

We cut off the hitch on the trailer and found a tube that would slide into the trailer tongue. drilled a couple of holes thru the tongue and tube to extend the tube then welded a coupler to the end of the tube. unhitch slide out the tube. place the pins thru the tongue and tube rehitch and back in. we left the wheel on the tongue jack down enough to take some of the weight.
Old 08-05-2013

JTP11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows View Post
Just copying an old idea but I thought I would post it to help somebody. I made a 5 ft long bar and ball because I was having to get to deep in the water to launch my oday 25.
I would strongly advise against extending the ball that far from the hitch. That 5ft of leverage with only a few hundred pounds of the trailer tongue is plenty enough to bend the hitch and/or shear the mounting bolts from the frame rails of your truck.

I know when I have a big stubborn nut or bolt to remove when working in the garage, I reach for the 4ft breaker bar. It's never failed me and more often than not the bolts tend to shear off.
Old 08-05-2013
jimbo

I agree its a ton of leverage but based on my tongue weight it works well. Now my wife and I jumped on it with no prob. Over 370 lbs. No problems at all. If you have a tongue weight over that amount or a weak hitch I would not suggest this.
Old 08-07-2013

Bruce_L is on a distinguished road

My hitch extension is a 20 foot section of 2" square steel tubing, i have 5/8" holes drilled every two feet for adjustment and use two tractor hitchpins to lock it in place. I have a full deep keel and really have to sink my trailer quite a ways since the local ramp is not that steep. i have the tongue weight set light and have no issues when i have 16 feet of extension out there. Trailer pulls perfect with no issues at speeds up to 60 mph. Easy to remove and store too. Truck tires are dry during the entire launch process.
Why are so many of you going with such heavy tounge weights?
Old 08-07-2013
jimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_L View Post
My hitch extension is a 20 foot section of 2" square steel tubing, i have 5/8" holes drilled every two feet for adjustment and use two tractor hitchpins to lock it in place. I have a full deep keel and really have to sink my trailer quite a ways since the local ramp is not that steep. i have the tongue weight set light and have no issues when i have 16 feet of extension out there. Trailer pulls perfect with no issues at speeds up to 60 mph. Easy to remove and store too. Truck tires are dry during the entire launch process.
Why are so many of you going with such heavy tounge weights?
Man thats great. Took the original and made it bettee

Tags
hitch , oday 25