Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2013

HaleyF is on a distinguished road
Question My first Jabsco

I'm having my first experiences with a boat large enough to house a head (Catalina 25) and the neither the marina neighbors or the Jabsco manual hasn't been very helpful for my serious noob questions. How do I know when the tank has to be emptied? I'm going to do my first pump out this weekend and don't really know what to expect. Unlock the pipe and a machine does it? What sort of regular maintenance should I be doing (I've read about oil being flushed? Air fresheners?) And where exactly does the water come from for the flushing and do I need to fill this tank?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road
Re: My first Jabsco

the most fun part of boating. if you have a pump out fitting on the deck. you open it, put the suction hose on the fitting and the contents will be sucked out. there is no flushing, it is a vacuum device. that is it. close the cap before you smell the roses. how do you know when it need to be emptied empty? believe me you will know. I use Raritan K O and it works very well
Raritan Engineering | Cleaning and Maintenance Products/K.O. Kills Odors
Old 08-03-2013
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road

During routine use the toilet is usually "flushed" with seawater. There is probably a thru-hull and valve with hose to the toilet.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Find your holding tank. In same cases, you can actually open a cabin and see its level. In most, however, its under the sole and you'll really benefit from adding a level gauge. Over filling a tank can cause clogging (worst repair in marine history), smelly waste lines or even leaking at connections.

Emptying a holding tank is design specific. Some empty by gravity by opening a thru hull, others are pumped overboard by a macerating pump. All typically have a deck fitting to be pumped out by a marina, as most water are no-discharge-areas these days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-03-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

I 2nd the use of Raritan K.O. as a tank treatment.
It makes your effluent smell like cherries...

Everybody has one:

Old 08-04-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
the most fun part of boating.
Ha! That reminds me of the other day ... I was cleaning our cat's litterbox while my 5 year-old observed. He looks at me with a sincere look on his face and says, "You know Daddy, this is the best part about cats!"

Admittedly, there is something grossly satisfying about hooking the vacuum pumpout hose to the boat and getting it done.
Old 08-05-2013

Amazing! I'm definitely going to pick up some Raritan.

I didn't pump out this weekend because when I got back to the marina we had gusts of 16 kts. I didn't want to risk anything spilling anywhere haha. Thanks everyone!
jimgo likes this.
Old 08-05-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for asking this, I'm in the same situation!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 08-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Find your holding tank. In same cases, you can actually open a cabin and see its level. In most, however, its under the sole and you'll really benefit from adding a level gauge. Over filling a tank can cause clogging (worst repair in marine history), smelly waste lines or even leaking at connections.
Totally gross question time! How easy do these tanks clog? If the tank is full can I leave it for a couple days or does it need to be emptied ASAP? Any tips for avoiding a clog?
Old 08-05-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailak View Post
During routine use the toilet is usually "flushed" with seawater. There is probably a thru-hull and valve with hose to the toilet.
Yes, and if your seawater tank needs to be filled you have a real problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
I 2nd the use of Raritan K.O. as a tank treatment.
It makes your effluent smell like cherries...
Only necessary if your effluent does not already smell like roses like mine! I have not used K.O. but it seems to be the only additive that is not universally hated. I would say try it without additive (I never had a problem, but either I was very lucky or it really does smell like roses!) as you should not need one if the holding tank is appropriately designed. Big thing is ventilation and hoses. Most odor permeates from the hoses. Take a warm wet rag and run it along the hoses, if it smells like sewer, then you need new hoses. It would not hurt to run a bigger ventilation line to the holding tank, as you need air to keep the aerobic bacteria healthy and keep away the smelly anaerobic bacteria. Much the same as a septic tank at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyF View Post
Totally gross question time! How easy do these tanks clog? If the tank is full can I leave it for a couple days or does it need to be emptied ASAP? Any tips for avoiding a clog?
Well the tanks normally don't clog, but he toilets and hoses do very easily. Normally it is too much paper or too think paper. There is a kind of flapper valve that is called the joker valve. Seems to be called a joker because the joke is on the owner who lets a visitor use the head! Biggest way of avoiding a clog is to use as little tp as possible, and flush with enough pumps and never ever put personal hygiene products in the toilet even it they say flush-able. Get it pumped before it is full, this helps as much as anything. Some people go so far as to say nothing goes into the head that you have not eaten first. They provide Ziploc baggies for toilet paper to go into. That takes it a bit far for me though. It seems to be common practice for long distance cruisers, and is often the case for land born sewer systems in some less developed areas of the world.

Last edited by miatapaul; 08-05-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Tags
jabsco