SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Sailboat lift (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/102112-sailboat-lift.html)

JeffH 08-04-2013 08:37 AM

Sailboat lift

I've read previous threads on this topic but am still seeking wisdom from this salty group. My wife and I have a Capri 22 at our lake house in GA. During powerboat season, our dock sees some really rough water from boat wake. I've thought about installing whips, but have read/heard mixed reviews about those. As such, I am giving thought to a lift. I recognize it is a pricey solution, but it seems that this would be the best protection for the boat and would save the need from ever having to paint the bottom. My 2 questions: 1) Cost aside, is this a good solution? 2) Also, the lift dealer says I can drive right into the slip and onto the lift - which if true, would be great. I always thought you had to carefully move it from the side of the dock into the slip and onto the lift by hand. Being able to drive on/off the lift would sure make single-handed sailing a breeze (pun intended). Thanks!

Minnewaska 08-04-2013 09:00 AM

Re: Sailboat lift

Lifts are great. I've never had one, but have friends that do and have driven right in. However, its not necessarily as easy as it sounds with a crosswind. The skids are set exactly where they need to be on your hull. You can't crab into them. Some landings feel a bit forced.

dvuyxx 08-04-2013 09:01 AM

On the Severn River (Annapolis) there are a fair number of decent size sailboats (25-35') on lifts. I believe some of them have PVC pipes as guides to help them nest over the lift in position.

Ha! I was confused at first because there is another SailNetter/Moderator by the name Jeff H.

JeffH 08-04-2013 10:39 AM

Thanks much. "Jeff H" is the moderator but he has a space between "f" and "H". I am sure he would not want to be confused with a newbie like me! :)

Jeff_H 08-04-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffH (Post 1068757)
Thanks much. "Jeff H" is the moderator but he has a space between "f" and "H". I am sure he would not want to be confused with a newbie like me! :)

I am not certain that is true but there are times when I am not sure that I even want to be confused with myself.

As to the boat lifts, I see more and more of these getting installed for ever larger sailboats. They are not cheap to buy and there is some maintenance involved in owning them. I would be hesitant to spend the money on one before trying other options. There are 'hidden' issues such as needing more depth than might seem obvious beneath the keel of the boat so the lift can lower fully below the boat.

The other Jeff H

JoeLena 08-04-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffH (Post 1068707)
I have a Capri 22 at our lake house in GA.

Not sure where you are, but there is a used one for sale on Hartwell. Know nothing about them, not sure if it would be something that would work for you but here it is:

Craigslist posting.

JeffH 08-04-2013 02:40 PM

Thanks, Jeff H. I have plenty of water year-round so depth is not an issue. However, lift maintenance is NOT something that I want to have (of course the friendly sales rep says there is none which is why I am posting here). Maybe I should give the mooring whips a try before shelling out the money for a lift? Nospace JeffH

JeffH 08-04-2013 02:42 PM

Thanks, JoeLena. We're on Lanier. I appreciate the link to Craigslist, but if I go the lift route, I am probably going to spend the money for a new one so that I will hopefully have less unforeseen problems.

JoeLena 08-04-2013 03:05 PM

On the weekends my slip at Aqualand is nearly unbearable, thanks to the power boaters, I imagine if you are out near deep water it is a nightmare.

SloopJonB 08-04-2013 05:48 PM

One of those lifts will cost about the value of a decent Capri - the economics don't compute to me.

I'd buy several big fenders and lots of good PVC dock edging.