Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2013

JeffH is on a distinguished road
Sailboat lift

I've read previous threads on this topic but am still seeking wisdom from this salty group. My wife and I have a Capri 22 at our lake house in GA. During powerboat season, our dock sees some really rough water from boat wake. I've thought about installing whips, but have read/heard mixed reviews about those. As such, I am giving thought to a lift. I recognize it is a pricey solution, but it seems that this would be the best protection for the boat and would save the need from ever having to paint the bottom. My 2 questions: 1) Cost aside, is this a good solution? 2) Also, the lift dealer says I can drive right into the slip and onto the lift - which if true, would be great. I always thought you had to carefully move it from the side of the dock into the slip and onto the lift by hand. Being able to drive on/off the lift would sure make single-handed sailing a breeze (pun intended). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailboat lift

Lifts are great. I've never had one, but have friends that do and have driven right in. However, its not necessarily as easy as it sounds with a crosswind. The skids are set exactly where they need to be on your hull. You can't crab into them. Some landings feel a bit forced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
JeffH (08-04-2013)
Old 08-04-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

On the Severn River (Annapolis) there are a fair number of decent size sailboats (25-35') on lifts. I believe some of them have PVC pipes as guides to help them nest over the lift in position.

Ha! I was confused at first because there is another SailNetter/Moderator by the name Jeff H.
Old 08-04-2013

Thanks much. "Jeff H" is the moderator but he has a space between "f" and "H". I am sure he would not want to be confused with a newbie like me!
Old 08-04-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
Thanks much. "Jeff H" is the moderator but he has a space between "f" and "H". I am sure he would not want to be confused with a newbie like me!
I am not certain that is true but there are times when I am not sure that I even want to be confused with myself.

As to the boat lifts, I see more and more of these getting installed for ever larger sailboats. They are not cheap to buy and there is some maintenance involved in owning them. I would be hesitant to spend the money on one before trying other options. There are 'hidden' issues such as needing more depth than might seem obvious beneath the keel of the boat so the lift can lower fully below the boat.

The other Jeff H

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 08-04-2013

JoeLena is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
I have a Capri 22 at our lake house in GA.
Not sure where you are, but there is a used one for sale on Hartwell. Know nothing about them, not sure if it would be something that would work for you but here it is:

Craigslist posting.
'72 Catalina 27 Tall Rig #519
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeLena For This Useful Post:
JeffH (08-04-2013)
Old 08-04-2013

Thanks, Jeff H. I have plenty of water year-round so depth is not an issue. However, lift maintenance is NOT something that I want to have (of course the friendly sales rep says there is none which is why I am posting here). Maybe I should give the mooring whips a try before shelling out the money for a lift? Nospace JeffH
Old 08-04-2013

Thanks, JoeLena. We're on Lanier. I appreciate the link to Craigslist, but if I go the lift route, I am probably going to spend the money for a new one so that I will hopefully have less unforeseen problems.
Old 08-04-2013

JoeLena is on a distinguished road

On the weekends my slip at Aqualand is nearly unbearable, thanks to the power boaters, I imagine if you are out near deep water it is a nightmare.
'72 Catalina 27 Tall Rig #519
Old 08-04-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

One of those lifts will cost about the value of a decent Capri - the economics don't compute to me.

I'd buy several big fenders and lots of good PVC dock edging.
Jgbrown likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.