Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
Hey Smack,

Can you sail your boat from at home or office from your iPhone? If so, make sure your boss doesn't catch you!

Just saying
Heh-heh. I'll have to try that. Oh, and you're right, the guy I work for is a complete bastard* so I'll be careful.

(*I am the boss.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2014

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Smack, when you do your BVI cruise, are you planning on going via Grand Cayman/Jamaica, the thorny path or into the Atlantic, then south?

In regards to your genoa, I’d say keep it and get an extendable whisker pole. That combination will give you the widest set of options. You can always add a kite to this inventory. I am in the planning stages for my Mexico trip. I’m planning on bringing my Pentex laminate 130 genoa and whisker. If I had a 140, I’d bring that instead. I am planning on having one “junior helmsman” on board and I know that that guy won’t be up to flying a kite at night with any degree of proficiency. I’ve tried this before and found that the “juniors” tend to drive hotter angles at night, thus driving the boat off course. You spend the next watch getting the boat back on the rhumb line. Very inefficient. My plan is kite during the days and at night with the experienced helmsmen. Douse, and run wing on wing with the “junior” during the night. I should get an added benefit of a few hours of running really deep to boot. Remember those unhappy sailors on that recent Transpac – you don’t want to spend all your time untangling head stay wraps and mending the inevitable rips and tears that result.
Old 01-29-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Smack, when you do your BVI cruise, are you planning on going via Grand Cayman/Jamaica, the thorny path or into the Atlantic, then south?

In regards to your genoa, I’d say keep it and get an extendable whisker pole. That combination will give you the widest set of options. You can always add a kite to this inventory. I am in the planning stages for my Mexico trip. I’m planning on bringing my Pentex laminate 130 genoa and whisker. If I had a 140, I’d bring that instead. I am planning on having one “junior helmsman” on board and I know that that guy won’t be up to flying a kite at night with any degree of proficiency. I’ve tried this before and found that the “juniors” tend to drive hotter angles at night, thus driving the boat off course. You spend the next watch getting the boat back on the rhumb line. Very inefficient. My plan is kite during the days and at night with the experienced helmsmen. Douse, and run wing on wing with the “junior” during the night. I should get an added benefit of a few hours of running really deep to boot. Remember those unhappy sailors on that recent Transpac – you don’t want to spend all your time untangling head stay wraps and mending the inevitable rips and tears that result.
Honestly, I don't really know what route we'll take yet. I've been researching that. Our first hop will be to Tampa - where we'll play around for the season, then leave the boat somewhere like Naples or something. From there, the idea is the Bahams for the next season - leave the boat - maybe in T&C. Then the BVIs the next season. Any advice you'd give on the best routes, I'll take it!

THANK YOU for the feedback on the kite. That means a lot coming from you. It's honestly low on my list, but I'd love to get one just to learn it. If I do, I will follow your advice. I've done a good deal of WoW in our off-shore races (we were in the non-spin class) and feel very comfortable with it.

Old 01-30-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Smack - spend a few bucks and get a good used chute from Bacon's or one of the others. Sailing under a brightly coloured chute is one of the very best parts of sailing and it doesn't even have to be expensive - a few $hundred will get you a very decent used sail. (Way less than your cell phone steering system I daresay. )

Sailing WoW sucks - it is unnatural and just ASKING for a crash gybe with a moments inattention or getting caught off guard by a quartering sea. It's just about the slowest possible point of sail too - tacking downwind is way better.
Faster likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-30-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Sailing WoW sucks - it is unnatural and just ASKING for a crash gybe with a moments inattention or getting caught off guard by a quartering sea. It's just about the slowest possible point of sail too - tacking downwind is way better.
I agree. WOW is fun for a little while, but all the stress of having to pay so much attention gets old. And this is for a standard rigger boat. On my B&R rigged boat I will do it in a causeway if needed because it is a short time, but if it is going to be more than 5 minutes it is time to drop a sail.

I have read people say they WOW for long periods of time and have always felt they were a little insane.
Old 01-30-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Oh come on, it's not that stressful. Rig a preventer.
However, I agree. Nothing announces "Next Level" like flying a spinnaker. Everyone can see it. My favorite photos are of my boat under spinnaker.

I paid $150 for a pretty good, used, kite from Bacon Sails, for a 30 foot boat. It was perfect for training my crew, because I'd only be out $150 if they wrapped it around the keel or something.

I can singlehand a symmetric kite, now that I have a tiller pilot.
Doublehand? Fuggetaboutit. My girl and I flew it for 40 miles, getting us home at twice the speed of WoW. We overhauled several less ambitious cruisers on our way up the Bay.

Sorry for being over-enthusiastic, it's so cold here that we literally just had an ice breaker come and clear the river channel yesterday. I feel like sailing was another lifetime ago.
smackdaddy likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 01-30-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Oh come on, it's not that stressful. Rig a preventer.
I have a preventer rigged. I find it only reduces stress a little because you aren't as worried about a crash gybe. But you are still on edge of constant trimming.

And if you have the preventer rigged you are out in the open, so then really isn't a good reason to not just adjust your course and make better speed to start with.

A chute is the bomb and a light weight reacher is probably even better (seems most of the light air I get into I need to reach or higher)
Old 01-30-2014

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Guys, guy, guys, I have to disagree slightly on this. I am advocating the use of a whisker pole - not going DDW. Without a whisker, you are forced to sail 180* AWA to keep pressure in both sails. I agree that is problematic. A whisker pole allows you to sail in the 175-160* AWA range with the security of not accidentally gybing and JAM racers know that those angles produce a lot more VMG than going pole-less at 180*. Smack and I have both have heavy cruisers so at the angles you have to steer under an A-kite (140-165*) usually gives you rotten VMG if your rhumb line happens to be DDW. Yes, a symmetric is the best of all worlds but you need to match the sails to the skill level of the crew. Which in this case means the two Smack Tykes. I donít think Iíd sleep well at night if one of those kids was driving to a course of 170* under a kite. My personal experience is junior drivers do perfectly fine with a whisker at night and tend to do poorly trying to keep a kite under control. If you guys visit the SSS site, you will know that a lot of them douse the kite, drop the main and run double headsails so they can get a good nightís sleep.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 01-30-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I doubt very much that I would fly a chute at night if I was cruising. Too hard to keep it trimmed properly unless you had lights on it all the time.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-30-2014
Last Man Standing

If I get a kite, it will be an assym. One of the reasons for this is that with the BR rig, you can't open the main up as much for a good, deep WoW (at least not compared to the other boats I've crewed on). Even so, we will only fly the assym in mellow conditions (when the genny won't stay full) - and definitely not at night.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.