Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
If I get a kite, it will be an assym. One of the reasons for this is that with the BR rig, you can't open the main up as much for a good, deep WoW (at least not compared to the other boats I've crewed on). Even so, we will only fly the assym in mellow conditions (when the genny won't stay full) - and definitely not at night.
Have you looked at running with the main down, the genoa poled out and asym flying opposite the genoa? Probably wouldn't have to steer.
John
ps. I've only done this once when visiting in Sweeden. Felt like a freight train compared to WoW.
smackdaddy likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

In my mind flying a chute short handed with the main down is asking for a problem if/when the wind picks up.
Old 02-07-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Here is the next installment of The SmackBoys' Yacht.

We get new graphics...

...deal with this rat's nest and the non-functioning instruments because of it...

...and go Full-LED on the lighting...

Enjoy!
chall03 and Faster like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-08-2014

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Nice Smack.

After our rig was done we found all our nav lights were put back incorrectly. If we turned on the deck level Nav lights the anchor light would aldo come on. If we turned on the steamer then the deck level lights came on with the trilight etc etc. Easy to fix, but annoying none the less.

How much was the iMux if you don't mind me asking??? I am pretty keen to go that way as well.

Old 02-08-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Speaking of electrical use, I made this spreadsheet to calculate it, and find out what solar/batteries you need, and how long you'll need to run your engine.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...3c&usp=sharing

You should be able "make a copy" to edit. Change values in the yellow boxes.
Dean101 likes this.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 02-08-2014

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road

nice write up!

BTW I have the same LEDs and had the same fit issue in some of my fixtures. You can take a dremmel to the bulbs and slice off that big plastic cover ... leave a bit of a plastic rim to give you enough leverage to insert the bulb, maybe 1/4 inch. as long as the fixture protects the now exposed guts they will be fine.

the only concern with the exposed guts would be moisture. Mine have been exposed for 3 yrs now and its pretty dang moist in NC.

smackdaddy likes this.
Hull #5
Oriental NC
Old 02-08-2014

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road

Love the name, new transom graphics look great!

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
Old 02-08-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Nice Smack.

After our rig was done we found all our nav lights were put back incorrectly. If we turned on the deck level Nav lights the anchor light would aldo come on. If we turned on the steamer then the deck level lights came on with the trilight etc etc. Easy to fix, but annoying none the less.

How much was the iMux if you don't mind me asking??? I am pretty keen to go that way as well.
What's maddening is that they charged a total of $1,200 for JUST recommissioning the mast and pulling the wire. THEN they screwed all that up!

The iMux is a wireless transmitter what pushes NMEA/AIS/Seatalk data to a device such as an iPad/iPhone. This way you can have multiple chartplotters on a boat using as many devices as you want. It might work with other non-Apple devices - I don't know. I just got it because we are going to use i-devices on our boat, with the iNavX charting application. It's really pretty incredible:

iMux - The Brookhouse NMEA 0183 Wifi multiplexer

There are other similar devices out there (for AIS, etc.) - but this one had the best all-round capability I could find. In my next write-up, I'll explain how I set everything up, including the AIS. It's a little complicated - but it's awesome.

Old 02-08-2014
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
nice write up!

BTW I have the same LEDs and had the same fit issue in some of my fixtures. You can take a dremmel to the bulbs and slice off that big plastic cover ... leave a bit of a plastic rim to give you enough leverage to insert the bulb, maybe 1/4 inch. as long as the fixture protects the now exposed guts they will be fine.

the only concern with the exposed guts would be moisture. Mine have been exposed for 3 yrs now and its pretty dang moist in NC.

Cool! Thanks brist! I'll give that a shot.

Old 02-08-2014
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
Speaking of electrical use, I made this spreadsheet to calculate it, and find out what solar/batteries you need, and how long you'll need to run your engine.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...3c&usp=sharing

You should be able "make a copy" to edit. Change values in the yellow boxes.
Wow VT!!!! Thanks!!!! The copy worked great and I now have it in Drive.

This will be very, very helpful. I understand the basics, but honestly, electrical and diesel work are still black-holes I'm feeling my way through.