Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Glad to hear.

The handy thing is you can add solar panels step by step to see how many it takes to get to zero deficit, i.e. don't need to run engine.

Also, check you have enough battery capacity, as you are not supposed to go below 50%.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Dude,

That rats nest nearly made me cry.
Honestly, if I were nearby, I'd help you tackle that. I'm not Maine Sail, but my work is safe and tidy.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 02-10-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Dude,

Honestly, if I were nearby, I'd help you tackle that. I'm not Maine Sail, but my work is safe and tidy.
Thanks for feeling my pain. Why do we pay these yard guys $80/hour for this crap? It's ridiculous.

I know you'd help if you were around. And I'd buy plenty of beers.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-10-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Dude,

Are you near Vermont

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 02-10-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Thanks for feeling my pain. Why do we pay these yard guys $80/hour for this crap? It's ridiculous.

I'm never going to pay for the yard guys to do "skilled" work ever again. I've seen what some of them do during the time when no one is willing to pay the yard for work. If they were skilled enough for me to be paying $80/hr they wouldn't be doing such crap 90% of the time.
Old 03-28-2014

pcmm is on a distinguished road

The yard where I kept my boats didn't even offer boat repairs so we all learned to do this stuff ourselves. None of it is hard, just requires time to read up on and practice. Norms mens fittings are great., but youtube is full of demonstrations that show you how to do it WRONG!! Check put drakeparagon on youtube his rigger al least knows what he's doing and explains things along the way. Smack, I actually looked into that particular hunter last year but never went down to see it. Hope you enjoy!
Old 04-04-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
The yard where I kept my boats didn't even offer boat repairs so we all learned to do this stuff ourselves. None of it is hard, just requires time to read up on and practice. Norms mens fittings are great., but youtube is full of demonstrations that show you how to do it WRONG!! Check put drakeparagon on youtube his rigger al least knows what he's doing and explains things along the way. Smack, I actually looked into that particular hunter last year but never went down to see it. Hope you enjoy!
Hey PCM - good to have you around dude! I actually watched the DP video on the Norsemans. Good stuff. Even so, I wouldn't do the rigging myself. The way I see it, my time (which I charge a lot for) has to be budgeted. The stuff I need to learn is stuff I need while I'm at sea. I have no desire to learn the details of rigging, or even bottom painting, etc. I need to learn about my boat's systems, engine, navigation, etc. That's stuff I'll have to be self-sufficient at. I can jury rig with the best of them - but I don't need to be an ABYC-Certified Gerbil Masseuse to sail. Just my thinking at this point.

Of course you know I'd say this - but this is the absolute best H40 I found on the market in the 3 years I'd been looking. It's freakin' immaculate. I hit the jackpot. We are definitely enjoying her. And I'd recommend a H40 to anyone who asks.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-05-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-05-2014
Last Man Standing

I now have the The Mr. Universe of Navigation Systems: Brookhouse iMux, Standard Horizon GPX2150 w/AIS, and iNavX on the iPads and iPhones. This wireless setup gives me multiple chartplotters on the boat via all the Apple devices (LOTS of backup) - with full Raymarine Instrumentation and AP control (via Seatalk) AND integrated AIS. Stupid cool.

Is that a pimpin' nav station or what?

Full write-up coming soon. And a HUGE shout-out to Wout Beekhuizen, owner of Brookhouse. He gave me a tremendous amount of help.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-05-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 04-05-2014

Boredop is on a distinguished road

I have pretty much the same setup. Very happy with the system as a whole.
Old 04-05-2014

Boredop is on a distinguished road

I didn't have a nice dry spot for the multiplexer so I put it in its own little enclosure. May have snuck power for it off my N2K backbone.....
1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.-uploadfromtaptalk1396690377483.jpg
smackdaddy likes this.