1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions. - Page 14 - SailNet Community
 150Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 466 Old 04-05-2014
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 11,327
Thanks: 59
Thanked 65 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post


Is that a pimpin' nav station or what?
Indeed! If you ever hit anything you will have NO excuse.
smackdaddy likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #132 of 466 Old 04-05-2014
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 31
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

After refitting a few sailboats to date including a Gulfstar 50 were are currently living on and making new, I've learned one sure methodology and it is this:

I usually get a cold beer, I sit down in front of the project I am contemplating, and I ask myself 'how can I possibly turn this into the most expensive ordeal imaginable?' In my head I outline the steps needed to do the job then I find ways to make last longer and do myself the most financial damage.

As an example if I were to look at your water tank that needs a quick patch I would say might as well completely disassemble it, rebuild it entirely, clean it like new, and add all new parts that I can possibly remove.

I can't tell you how many projects I've tried to just fix and move on. With boats, especially ones I take family offshore in, just fixing it usually leads to complications down the road. Nowadays if something is showing signs of disrepair then I completely rebuild it if possible. Whatever it is.

The aft stay on our boat has a small crack in the staylock right now. I can't sail her until its fixed. So instead of replacing the stay I am pulling the whole mast, stripping it to bare aluminum, replacing 100% of the rigging including the chainplates, painting everything, all new lights and wiring, new spreaders, halyards, sheaves, antennas, etc...is it going to be painful? Yep. When I am in that next squall is my rig gonna come through with no problems? I would think so. At the very least I can shake my fist at the sky with confidence and yell 'Bligh Me!'

I'm a stout believer in the Black Box Theory. But that's just me.

Nice boat. Good Luck.
davidpm likes this.
luhtag is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #133 of 466 Old 04-05-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 204
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

I am not being disrespectful but am asking. How do you steer and and navigate from outside? I have a GPS on a swing arm visible from the wheel. To plot a course, I either sit outside or sit inside in a very awkward position. I can steer from behind the wheel and still see the GPS. Do you have repeaters at the wheel or go below and check the GPS?

s/v Odyssey
Catalina 30
glassdad is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #134 of 466 Old 04-05-2014
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 11,327
Thanks: 59
Thanked 65 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdad View Post
I am not being disrespectful but am asking. How do you steer and and navigate from outside? I have a GPS on a swing arm visible from the wheel. To plot a course, I either sit outside or sit inside in a very awkward position. I can steer from behind the wheel and still see the GPS. Do you have repeaters at the wheel or go below and check the GPS?
Read the whole thread - he just phones it in.
jimgo likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #135 of 466 Old 04-05-2014
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 11,327
Thanks: 59
Thanked 65 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhtag View Post
After refitting a few sailboats to date including a Gulfstar 50 were are currently living on and making new, I've learned one sure methodology and it is this:

I usually get a cold beer, I sit down in front of the project I am contemplating, and I ask myself 'how can I possibly turn this into the most expensive ordeal imaginable?' In my head I outline the steps needed to do the job then I find ways to make last longer and do myself the most financial damage.

As an example if I were to look at your water tank that needs a quick patch I would say might as well completely disassemble it, rebuild it entirely, clean it like new, and add all new parts that I can possibly remove.

I can't tell you how many projects I've tried to just fix and move on. With boats, especially ones I take family offshore in, just fixing it usually leads to complications down the road. Nowadays if something is showing signs of disrepair then I completely rebuild it if possible. Whatever it is.

The aft stay on our boat has a small crack in the staylock right now. I can't sail her until its fixed. So instead of replacing the stay I am pulling the whole mast, stripping it to bare aluminum, replacing 100% of the rigging including the chainplates, painting everything, all new lights and wiring, new spreaders, halyards, sheaves, antennas, etc...is it going to be painful? Yep. When I am in that next squall is my rig gonna come through with no problems? I would think so. At the very least I can shake my fist at the sky with confidence and yell 'Bligh Me!'

I'm a stout believer in the Black Box Theory. But that's just me.

Nice boat. Good Luck.
That's just the old "As long as we're........., We might as well........

I'm pretty OCD about it myself but you sound like you have a much worse case.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #136 of 466 Old 04-05-2014 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14,130
Thanks: 135
Thanked 125 Times in 118 Posts
Rep Power: 9
     
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhtag View Post
As an example if I were to look at your water tank that needs a quick patch I would say might as well completely disassemble it, rebuild it entirely, clean it like new, and add all new parts that I can possibly remove.
I'm trying an interesting fix first. 3M makes a flexible epoxy coating for potable water environments that is used for sealing the interior of municipal water tanks. I bought some and am going to give that a go.

The tank is in fairly good shape but has quite a bit of pitting. Cutting it out and bringing in a new one would be a freakin' nightmare (no way to get it out without cutting it up or pulling apart the interior of the boat). The sealant should fill/seal all the pits, then protect the rest of the inside of the tank from future corrosion. If I do a good job, it should last another 30 years.

We'll see. I just finished sanding and cleaning the inside of the tank this weekend. Next comes the coating.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
smackdaddy is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #137 of 466 Old 04-05-2014 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14,130
Thanks: 135
Thanked 125 Times in 118 Posts
Rep Power: 9
     
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdad View Post
I am not being disrespectful but am asking. How do you steer and and navigate from outside? I have a GPS on a swing arm visible from the wheel. To plot a course, I either sit outside or sit inside in a very awkward position. I can steer from behind the wheel and still see the GPS. Do you have repeaters at the wheel or go below and check the GPS?
Dude, I'm Smackdaddy. You don't need to be respectful.

I have an iPad in a waterproof LifeEdge case - with a mount on the navpod at the helm along with the Raymarine AP control. So I have chartplotter and AP controls right there.

My radar is not yet piped through to the iPad though, it's still only at the nav station. But that's okay for now.

So with this setup, I can drive from the helm with the iPad chartplotter there (also seeing all my Raymarine instruments and AIS on iNavX) - AND, if I needed to, I could put the boat on AP and steer from below with another iPad or iPhone.

In any case, it's a lot of redundancy. I like that.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
smackdaddy is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #138 of 466 Old 04-05-2014
Asleep at the wheel
 
jimgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,014
Thanks: 71
Thanked 117 Times in 115 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Smack, is that the WiFi version of it? If so, if you don't mind, what was the ballpark cost? That's pretty cool.

- Jim
Home: Western Philly 'burbs
1980 Allmand 31
1975 Albacore 15


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jimgo is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #139 of 466 Old 04-05-2014 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14,130
Thanks: 135
Thanked 125 Times in 118 Posts
Rep Power: 9
     
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Smack, is that the WiFi version of it? If so, if you don't mind, what was the ballpark cost? That's pretty cool.
I got the PS2 version so I could have a dedicated GPS. It was $400. Definitely worth it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
smackdaddy is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to smackdaddy For This Useful Post:
jimgo (04-05-2014)
post #140 of 466 Old 04-06-2014
Senior Member
 
chef2sail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,074
Thanks: 30
Thanked 58 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Dude, I'm Smackdaddy. You don't need to be respectful.

I have an iPad in a waterproof LifeEdge case - with a mount on the navpod at the helm along with the Raymarine AP control. So I have chartplotter and AP controls right there.

My radar is not yet piped through to the iPad though, it's still only at the nav station. But that's okay for now.

So with this setup, I can drive from the helm with the iPad chartplotter there (also seeing all my Raymarine instruments and AIS on iNavX) - AND, if I needed to, I could put the boat on AP and steer from below with another iPad or iPhone.

In any case, it's a lot of redundancy. I like that.
Is the inavx real time. AIS? I thought Boat Beacon was the only true one.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
chef2sail is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
smackdaddy
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dinghy Davits on a 1989 Hunter 28??? moskalm Gear & Maintenance 7 05-03-2011 08:02 AM
Dinghy Davits on a 1989 Hunter 28??? moskalm Hunter 1 04-29-2011 05:37 PM
Anyone know anything about a 1989 Hunter 30'? crewgypsy Boat Review and Purchase Forum 3 12-29-2010 10:00 PM
1989 Hunter Legend 35.5 - Opinions? matoqui Boat Review and Purchase Forum 0 11-23-2010 04:15 PM
Opinions wanted on 1989 Hunter 40 beniwood Boat Review and Purchase Forum 6 05-03-2002 08:21 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome