Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

Is that a pimpin' nav station or what?
Indeed! If you ever hit anything you will have NO excuse.
smackdaddy likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2014

luhtag is on a distinguished road

After refitting a few sailboats to date including a Gulfstar 50 were are currently living on and making new, I've learned one sure methodology and it is this:

I usually get a cold beer, I sit down in front of the project I am contemplating, and I ask myself 'how can I possibly turn this into the most expensive ordeal imaginable?' In my head I outline the steps needed to do the job then I find ways to make last longer and do myself the most financial damage.

As an example if I were to look at your water tank that needs a quick patch I would say might as well completely disassemble it, rebuild it entirely, clean it like new, and add all new parts that I can possibly remove.

I can't tell you how many projects I've tried to just fix and move on. With boats, especially ones I take family offshore in, just fixing it usually leads to complications down the road. Nowadays if something is showing signs of disrepair then I completely rebuild it if possible. Whatever it is.

The aft stay on our boat has a small crack in the staylock right now. I can't sail her until its fixed. So instead of replacing the stay I am pulling the whole mast, stripping it to bare aluminum, replacing 100% of the rigging including the chainplates, painting everything, all new lights and wiring, new spreaders, halyards, sheaves, antennas, etc...is it going to be painful? Yep. When I am in that next squall is my rig gonna come through with no problems? I would think so. At the very least I can shake my fist at the sky with confidence and yell 'Bligh Me!'

I'm a stout believer in the Black Box Theory. But that's just me.

Nice boat. Good Luck.
Old 04-05-2014

glassdad is on a distinguished road

I am not being disrespectful but am asking. How do you steer and and navigate from outside? I have a GPS on a swing arm visible from the wheel. To plot a course, I either sit outside or sit inside in a very awkward position. I can steer from behind the wheel and still see the GPS. Do you have repeaters at the wheel or go below and check the GPS?
Old 04-05-2014
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdad View Post
I am not being disrespectful but am asking. How do you steer and and navigate from outside? I have a GPS on a swing arm visible from the wheel. To plot a course, I either sit outside or sit inside in a very awkward position. I can steer from behind the wheel and still see the GPS. Do you have repeaters at the wheel or go below and check the GPS?
Read the whole thread - he just phones it in.
jimgo likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-05-2014
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhtag View Post
After refitting a few sailboats to date including a Gulfstar 50 were are currently living on and making new, I've learned one sure methodology and it is this:

I usually get a cold beer, I sit down in front of the project I am contemplating, and I ask myself 'how can I possibly turn this into the most expensive ordeal imaginable?' In my head I outline the steps needed to do the job then I find ways to make last longer and do myself the most financial damage.

As an example if I were to look at your water tank that needs a quick patch I would say might as well completely disassemble it, rebuild it entirely, clean it like new, and add all new parts that I can possibly remove.

I can't tell you how many projects I've tried to just fix and move on. With boats, especially ones I take family offshore in, just fixing it usually leads to complications down the road. Nowadays if something is showing signs of disrepair then I completely rebuild it if possible. Whatever it is.

The aft stay on our boat has a small crack in the staylock right now. I can't sail her until its fixed. So instead of replacing the stay I am pulling the whole mast, stripping it to bare aluminum, replacing 100% of the rigging including the chainplates, painting everything, all new lights and wiring, new spreaders, halyards, sheaves, antennas, etc...is it going to be painful? Yep. When I am in that next squall is my rig gonna come through with no problems? I would think so. At the very least I can shake my fist at the sky with confidence and yell 'Bligh Me!'

I'm a stout believer in the Black Box Theory. But that's just me.

Nice boat. Good Luck.
That's just the old "As long as we're........., We might as well........

I'm pretty OCD about it myself but you sound like you have a much worse case.
Old 04-05-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhtag View Post
I'm trying an interesting fix first. 3M makes a flexible epoxy coating for potable water environments that is used for sealing the interior of municipal water tanks. I bought some and am going to give that a go.

The tank is in fairly good shape but has quite a bit of pitting. Cutting it out and bringing in a new one would be a freakin' nightmare (no way to get it out without cutting it up or pulling apart the interior of the boat). The sealant should fill/seal all the pits, then protect the rest of the inside of the tank from future corrosion. If I do a good job, it should last another 30 years.

We'll see. I just finished sanding and cleaning the inside of the tank this weekend. Next comes the coating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-05-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdad View Post
Dude, I'm Smackdaddy. You don't need to be respectful.

I have an iPad in a waterproof LifeEdge case - with a mount on the navpod at the helm along with the Raymarine AP control. So I have chartplotter and AP controls right there.

My radar is not yet piped through to the iPad though, it's still only at the nav station. But that's okay for now.

So with this setup, I can drive from the helm with the iPad chartplotter there (also seeing all my Raymarine instruments and AIS on iNavX) - AND, if I needed to, I could put the boat on AP and steer from below with another iPad or iPhone.

In any case, it's a lot of redundancy. I like that.

Old 04-05-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Smack, is that the WiFi version of it? If so, if you don't mind, what was the ballpark cost? That's pretty cool.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-05-2014
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Smack, is that the WiFi version of it? If so, if you don't mind, what was the ballpark cost? That's pretty cool.
I got the PS2 version so I could have a dedicated GPS. It was $400. Definitely worth it.

The Following User Says Thank You to smackdaddy For This Useful Post:
jimgo (04-05-2014)
Old 04-06-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Dude, I'm Smackdaddy. You don't need to be respectful.

I have an iPad in a waterproof LifeEdge case - with a mount on the navpod at the helm along with the Raymarine AP control. So I have chartplotter and AP controls right there.

My radar is not yet piped through to the iPad though, it's still only at the nav station. But that's okay for now.

So with this setup, I can drive from the helm with the iPad chartplotter there (also seeing all my Raymarine instruments and AIS on iNavX) - AND, if I needed to, I could put the boat on AP and steer from below with another iPad or iPhone.

In any case, it's a lot of redundancy. I like that.
Is the inavx real time. AIS? I thought Boat Beacon was the only true one.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner