Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Butyl tape - safe, easy to reopen the tank and reclean and put it right back on again.
Being as it leaks when 1/3 full it's probably a valve/fitting.

I'll remind you of my old trick for finding leaks - get yourself some blue marking string powdered chalf from your local DIY store and sprinkle it in the suspected locations. Go away, come back - the water trail to the leak will be obvious and it's easy to clean up. You'll be needing that chalk for port lights, hatches etc,

For the rest, electric, diesel etc you have already found the right forum, however I suggest a thread for each. Not many folks dig through 30 pages to find the next question.
smackdaddy (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Great advice. Thanks Chuckles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Great advice. Thanks Chuckles.
The other way to find a leak is to put fresh varnish/paint on, inside you'll find a leak, outside this works especially well if it's the planned last coat.

Guaranteed to have a biblical class rain storm pop up.
wallster likes this.
Old 08-05-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Let's face it, I'm going to have questions on a million different things...all the way up until I sell the boat years from now. I've got a crap-ton of stuff to learn...from electrical stuff, to plumbing stuff, to diesel engine stuff, to bedding hardware stuff, to...well...

I might as well start a dedicated thread.
Pffft...noob.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-05-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Pffft...noob.
I suppose next you'll be asking to see my...

Old 08-05-2013

ecaldwel is on a distinguished road

Smack, for Hunter sailboat specific questions checkout HunterOwners.com - Home

The store on that site contains Hunter's inventory of OEM spare/replacement parts as Hunter outsourced that business to these guys. There's also a lot of model specific info in the forums there as well. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Rofl... Yikes, pass the eye bleach.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-05-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaldwel View Post
Smack, for Hunter sailboat specific questions checkout HunterOwners.com - Home

The store on that site contains Hunter's inventory of OEM spare/replacement parts as Hunter outsourced that business to these guys. There's also a lot of model specific info in the forums there as well. Good luck!
Thanks ecal. I'm a member over there as well and have posted about the boat. I'll continue to check in.

Old 09-02-2013
Last Man Standing

Okay - I have a mystery on my hands (well a mystery to me anyway). A couple of weeks ago I topped-off our fuel tank for the first time. I had my buddy and two boys down below in different areas looking for any obvious leaks as I did so - just in case. No issues.

When we got back to the dock after running the motor for maybe 2 hours total one of the boys asked why it smelled like paint below. Uh-oh. I went down and sure enough there was a strong smell of diesel. I checked the engine bilge and there was just a bit of water in it. Then I checked the main bilge and there was maybe a gallon of diesel in it - mixed with some water. Damn. I pumped it out with a manual pump then our mini shopvac. We stayed at our buddy's house for the evening then came back to the boat the next day. No more leak.

Our assumption at that point was that I'd just over-filled the tank and it had a leak somewhere in the filler hose that leaked when we heeled. No big deal - I'd just try to track it down before filling up again.

This weekend we had exactly the same issue after about 2 hours of motoring. So it doesn't appear to be an overfill issue. Here's my troubleshooting thus far:

I checked the engine compartment. The bilge only had a bit of clear water in it (I assume from the stuffing box). There was no diesel and neither of the filters or hoses showed any sign of leakage.

I then pulled the cover in the aft cabin to have a look at the tank and generator. There were signs of slight leakage on the tank - but the odor wasn't all that strong and I didn't see anything that would indicated a gallon or more of the stuff spilling over the course of a few hours...

The fuel filter between the tank and the generator seemed to be dry as well.

So a few things are throwing me here:

1. This problem didn't show up until I'd topped off the tank. The test sail during the survey had us motoring the exact same time and distance. No issues that we saw. How could we still be having overflow if it's a filler hose issue?

2. I'm not exactly sure how each compartment feeds the main bilge. But how could the tank compartment and the engine bilge not show pools of diesel - with it only ending up in the main bilge? I assume that it's the tank leaking in the aft compartment and moving through a drain hole directly to the main bilge - bypassing the engine bilge?

3. There just didn't seem to be enough wetness or smell in the tank compartment to indicate that much leakage. Where else could it come from?

4. The motor is running fine - not missing or sounding starved in any way.

Any advice on where to start?

Finally, what is this thing atop the tank? At first I thought it was a gauge (and maybe it is) - but I can't make sense of it.

Thanks fellas.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-02-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

With a gallon of leakage in 2 hours, it could be the fuel return line leaking. If the tank has a leak, it would leak with or without the engine running. Just a thought.
Melrna likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.