Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Do you have any issue getting a GPS signal from within the cabin on the GX2200?

I've been thinking about installing one on our boat, but it's so new that I haven't heard much info on how reliable the signal is. I like the idea of having it all integrated.
Not yet. It acquired the fix pretty quickly and was solid while I had it on. That said, I've not gone out yet (just installed it). I'll report back here on how it works as we go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2014

tommays will become famous soon enough

The handheld version of this radio is incredible in both boot speed and gets GPS reception in my basement

Nothing else in my collection works so well under adverse conditions
smackdaddy likes this.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-19-2014

tommays will become famous soon enough

It was funny because the radio has SO MANY features I had to sit in my basement office and try them all to display the info that I found best and I realized it was getting reception

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-31-2014

Stegs is on a distinguished road

SmackDaddy
I have a Legend 37 and I heard that the aluminum tanks used on our type boats have a tendency to corrode, leak, and need replacement. In the picture you showed, the 4 squares don't look original. Also it looks like the tank might have been painted. (Possibly to stop a leak from the outside)
Stegs
Great Lakes, Salt Free, No Sharks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Stegs For This Useful Post:
crichard (06-01-2014)
Old 07-15-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Here's the write up on the water tank repair - which seems to be doing very well, thank you.

Water Tank Repair (And More!)

From here:

To here:

Also swapped out the running lights with LEDs for $120. Dropped the draw CONSIDERABLY!

Enjoy!
edguy3, bristol299bob and Dean101 like this.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Last Man Standing

Well, we were at the boat Saturday/Sunday - but only rain and very little wind. Bummer.

So it was project time (which sucks - but nice to get stuff done).

I'm happy to report that the water tank repair was successful. Not a drop leaked - and the taste and smell is fine. I still run it through a Britta filter at the faucet - but it's all good.

Also, it had been over a month since we'd been on the Dawn Treader due to traveling (we usually get down a couple of times a month). Turns out the starter battery was low. It turned the engine over a couple of times, then started clicking. It was time to test out this baby:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
As for starter battery emergencies, I bought one of these:

WEST MARINE
600A Jump-Starter with Air Compressor and 12V Power Supply

So I've got some pretty good backup there.
I hooked it in and she started right up. Awesome.

Next up...I'm adding solar panels and lazy jacks. Stay tuned.
MedSailor likes this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:28 PM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

I've considered one of those jump starters. So, they do work. Good to know.

Yep, it's been a bit damp around here lately. Sure beats a hurricane though. I'm happy to be in Texas again (so far).

Good to see you back on the boat, attacking that to-do list! It never ends, BTW.

Just curious as to why you are installing solar, unless you plan on extended cruising in the near future? We left Texas without solar, and didn't add them until Brunswick Ga. after our first cruise in the Bahamas. We did have a Honda EU 2000i companion generator though (which you should have even with solar, for those cloudy days). Maybe you already have a genset on the boat?

Ralph
Adult pool | sailing away with R & B
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Also, it had been over a month since we'd been on the Dawn Treader due to traveling (we usually get down a couple of times a month). Turns out the starter battery was low. It turned the engine over a couple of times, then started clicking. It was time to test out this baby:

I hooked it in and she started right up. Awesome.
Awesome! I was worried that the 600A wouldn't be enough to start a 4cyl diesel. If your starter only just started clicking then you batteries were very very low but not totally dead. It's possible the 600A might not be up to starting things if the battery is dead flat, but usually that doesn't happen while you're out and about.

Good to know that your gear will work when you need it. Now don't forget to periodically charge the charger!

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Last Man Standing

Ralph, a few things are driving my thinking on this (which could very well be wrong):

1. I've got a relatively small space for batteries. They are situated under the aft, centerline bed. There is not much width and not much depth. So I can't get big 200ah 4Ds under there (not even 4 6v as some have suggested). No way. So I'm going to have to stick with the "standard size" batteries - which limits me to about 130ah from what I've seen.

2. I've got a couple of energy hogs that I want to be able to use underway: radar and fridge.

3. I hate running the motor. And though I have a generator as well - I only have a 40gal fuel tank.

So, with all the above, it seemed to make sense to supplement with solar. If I've entered all the info correctly into the energy budget spreadsheet, I should be able to get by fine with 130ah.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:29 AM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

I agree solar makes sense. If you are not marina hopping a full charge won't be accomplished without many hours of engine or generator time. Without solar you only have between 50 and 85% state of charge as useable capacity - about 45 AH. With solar to top up the bank that jumps to 65 AH.

130 AH is pitifully small for a house bank on any boat cruising with refrigeration. I would look for a way to at least double it in addition to the solar.