Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

My Guess is that Seaduction nailed it that it is probably the diesel fuel return line, but my other Plan B guess is the tank vent. My operating theory on that one is that when the tank is full, and the engine has been running the return line puts warm fuel back in the tank expanding the fuel and the air trapped in the fill above, pressurizing the tank and forcing fuel into the ventline. In that era vent lines were often simply made of non fuel rated hose, and that can develop pin holes over time.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Awesome, I'll check both of those. If it is the return line, I assume the leak will likely be in the aft tank compartment since there was no fuel in the engine bilge (again, assuming the aft compartment feeds directly to the main bilge)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-02-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

The electronic thing on top of the tank is the fuel gauge. There should be a wire leading from the nut to your fuel gauge in the cockpit.

I also suspect the fuel return line is leaking. Should be easy enough to check while the engine is running. Lastly, where you motor sailing with the engine running at a heal angle? That might be why your seeing some leaks.

Good luck,
Barry
smackdaddy likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to BarryL For This Useful Post:
smackdaddy (09-02-2013)
Old 09-02-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Barry. We weren't motor sailing (just motored out and raised sail) so I don't think that's it. I'll check the return. That sounds like the culprit.

Also thanks for the info on the gauge. There's no gauge in the cockpit so I guess that's why there's no wire. I'll see about adding a gauge.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-03-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Good luck, Steve. Diesel leaks suck. We had a leak on our way down to Florida. It turned out that the fuel boost pump was the culprit. We replaced it in Port St. Joe, but then had a banjo fitting leaking by the time we made Carrabelle. Both problems were in a hard to see/get to spot. I'm not sure how the diesel gets into the bilge, but it seems that is the first place you'll see it. It goes without saying, don't pump it overboard. Oh, and don't have diesel in you bilge if you come to Florida. They will bust you for it, if you get boarded.

No diesel smell below is a good thing.

Ralph

Old 09-03-2013
Islander Yacht Fan

ECS-IB30 is on a distinguished road

The picture looks to be the fuel level sender - it should have a single ground wire headed back to the gauge -
I agree with Seaduction - if the leak only occurs when the engine is running it should be the fuel return - it matches all of your symptoms - check or replace the line - even if it was fine on the sea trial, if it was not recently replaced (and in some cases even if it was) it is a pressurized line, likely has swedged fittings at each end - although I have seen them with just hose clamps - I've also seen a hose clamp over tightens to the point where it cut through a fuel line and leaked over time little by little until it finally failed -
Old 09-05-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Smack,

Had a boat with 2 fuel tanks...I think yours might have this. It also had 2 fuel selectors, one for the supply line, one for the return line. The "classic" mistake would be to supply from one, and return to the other. If you accidentally did this, you would over time move your fuel from tank A to tank B, and eventually overflow tank B.
Old 09-05-2013
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Agree with RTB diesel stink below ain't cool.

We had a filler leak early on, and after topping up for a big passage ended up with diesel in the bilge and in the head. It made my otherwise sea saavy wife sick as could be.

Passage aborted and lesson learn't. Diesel leaks don't blow up your boat but they suck dogs balls. No idea how to fix yours, but good luck.

Bring on the next question.

Old 09-05-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

My vote is for the tank vent. I think Jeff spoke correctly about warm, expanded fuel being sent back to the tank, and over-flowing out of the vent.

The reason I say this, is because the problem did not surface until you topped off the tank. Otherwise, my money would be on the fuel return line.

Run the engine under load, and observe the tank vent (if possible) to see if any fuel is burping out of it. I'll bet that after you consume a little more fuel, the "leak" will stop.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 09-05-2013

THEFRENCHA is on a distinguished road

Fuel odors are pain in the neck
My 2 cents tip: Clean bilge and then drop a bottle of concentrated Spa perfume Bought it at a pool shop and really does wonder

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.