Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Thanks everyone. I'll have a look and see what's up. Diesel fumes below does indeed suck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2013

RonRelyea is on a distinguished road

Steve ... good luck finding the leak .. I can't help you there ... but I'd suggest Kanberra Gel or Safe-T-Air for getting rid of the odor instead of trying to mask it with perfume ...
Old 09-05-2013

Jaramaz is on a distinguished road

Do you have any idea of the age of all the diesel hoses? Are they really made for diesel? It is very popular to use cheap hose, looking rather like high-quality diesel hose. These rottens from inside, leaks are very difficult to see (but easy to smell, as you know).

In particular the filling hose, and the vent hose could easily be of this simplier kind.

Otherwise I would agree that the return hose are suspect #1.

BTW: how did it go with the water tank?
(another disadvantage with one thread for all issues ...)

/J
Old 09-05-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaramaz View Post
Do you have any idea of the age of all the diesel hoses? Are they really made for diesel? It is very popular to use cheap hose, looking rather like high-quality diesel hose. These rottens from inside, leaks are very difficult to see (but easy to smell, as you know).

In particular the filling hose, and the vent hose could easily be of this simplier kind.

Otherwise I would agree that the return hose are suspect #1.

BTW: how did it go with the water tank?
(another disadvantage with one thread for all issues ...)

/J
I'll keep updating the thread here as I work through each issue. Easier than working multiple threads. So no worries.

I have a guy looking at the water tank issue today. I'll troubleshoot the diesel thing next weekend when we're down there.

Old 11-23-2013
Last Man Standing

Okay - a quick update on a couple of things:

1. The diesel leak - I think we're in the clear. We took the boat out a couple of weekends ago and no fuel in the bilge. The original surveyor was gracious enough to come out and take a look at things - and he didn't charge me a penny (Lou Stahlberg - use him if you're in the market). He found a screw missing from the fuel gauge (essentially leaving a hole in the tank). So I replaced it and so far so good. We'll see what happens on the next fill - but for now it doesn't appear to be any of the lines (since the leak stopped as the tank level went down). Still wonder about the vent line.

2. I went up the mast today and changed out the ST60 wind transducer. I was getting no love on windspeed/direction. I figured it was due to shoddy wiring by the dudes who dropped the mast, did the rerigging and pulled new wire. But when I swapped out the old transducer with the new one - BING! Butter. Of course, that was a $400 stick of butter. I feel like I'm in the "Last Tango in Paris".

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-23-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2013

Isn't that typical - a small screw, difficult to detect!
(and that reminds me, should I refill the dieseltank, or not .... and add some anti-bacteria ... not, it's to cold).

Congrats!

/J
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 11-24-2013

Watched your vid (posted on the steelboat thread). Didn't know Hunters could be that nice. Enjoy!

/J
Old 11-24-2013
Last Man Standing

Thanks Jar. She is a beauty.

Old 01-01-2014
Last Man Standing

Time for the next installment of "The Smack Boys and Their Yacht":

The Money Blizzard

See that far away, lustful look in my eye while helming during the test sail? Reason was now overboard - sinking like a stone. I was buying this boat.

I wrote the checks for the final purchase total and stepped into the heady world of yacht ownership.

Had I only known the blizzard of cash that was about to swirl around my account and blow right out the gaping hole I'd just blown in it with a beautiful sailboat...

MORE
chall03 and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-01-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

[B]The Money Blizzard
Hey, Smack, stop listening to other people tell you what you need. They are all BS. Just run it as is for a year then after that do what you know needs doing, not what someone else says needs doing.

Mark
smackdaddy likes this.