Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Thanks Fast. So, just in terms of "performance cruising" (not racing) do you think and assym is worth the expense? We do have a fairly full genny. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I think it's likely between 130 and 140.
I think you'll get plenty of use of an Asymm - the improvement over a genny on a broad reach is considerable, and, as Bubb mentions you can run it without the main deeper than that (but only if you have a good snuffer - on your boat that's a lot of nylon to deal with without the shadow/lee of a mainsail)

I'm not a fan of spinnaker-only sailing, but I've never had a snuffer. I did once have the 'pleasure' of trying to wrestle a symm spinn down in a building breeze without a main - that was the last time
smackdaddy likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Cool. Thanks Bubb.

The funny thing is...a new freakin' whisker pole for my 40'er runs close to $2K. I'd much rather put that money into an assym and use 10 broomsticks duct-taped together for the wp.
You gotta track down some good consignment shops. Check the Good Old Boat website - I seem to recall there was one in Texas somewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-04-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
You are not going to need a pole for the assym if you keep the main down and use a tacker. That being said, I once built an adjustable pole using a section of 2" pvc and a section of 1.5 pvc that slid inside the 2". It worked better than it sounds. You can make your own roller tacker for $50. Sorry I know I am sounding like the steal boat guy.
No! Seriously, that's the best side of Brent Swain! Coming up with ingenious workarounds! If that dude could lay off the "Steel Is God" prosthelytizing and focus on cool anti-tech like the PVC whisker pole - that would be awesome!

I'm definitely going to try your invention.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-04-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
You gotta track down some good consignment shops. Check the Good Old Boat website - I seem to recall there was one in Texas somewhere.
We have a Boater's Resale Shop in Kemah, but the prices are ridiculous for the quality of used stuff you get. It's like they are the West Marine of Nautical Crap.

Old 01-04-2014

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about

if you are going to try the pvc pole thing for a 40 foot boat I would go with 2.5 inch and 2 inch, just sayin'

Never Forgotten

Old 01-04-2014

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about

You use pipe caps on both ends that you drill though and thru bolt eye bolts to attach your hooks.

Never Forgotten

Old 01-04-2014
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
if you are going to try the pvc pole thing for a 40 foot boat I would go with 2.5 inch and 2 inch, just sayin'
Okay - I'm seriously trying this. I'll video it for posterity.

Ladies and Gentlemen - the Bubb-O-Matic 'Stache Pole is coming!

Old 01-04-2014

you use cheek blocks mounted at the ends, line and small jam cleats to make your adjustments. We are talking 1/4 inch stuff.

Never Forgotten

Last edited by bubb2; 01-04-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-04-2014

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Okay - I'm seriously trying this. I'll video it for posterity.

Ladies and Gentlemen - the Bubb-O-Matic 'Stache Pole is coming!
Cool, BUT If you start making a Smack-Block and posting badly punctuated tirades in 15 line sentences then i'm out.

Old 01-04-2014
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Cool, BUT If you start making a Smack-Block and posting badly punctuated tirades in 15 line sentences then i'm out.
Heh-heh. I'm aboriginal you know.