SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/102134-1989-hunter-40-million-questions.html)

smackdaddy 08-04-2013 08:12 PM

1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Let's face it, I'm going to have questions on a million different things...all the way up until I sell the boat years from now. I've got a crap-ton of stuff to learn...from electrical stuff, to plumbing stuff, to diesel engine stuff, to bedding hardware stuff, to...well...

I might as well start a dedicated thread.

smackdaddy 08-04-2013 08:15 PM

Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Okay, here's the first one. Though the survey didn't catch it, there is a pretty bad leak in the water tank. I can't quite tell where it's coming from...but the water is coming out from under the tank...especially when it's over maybe 1/3 full. I discovered it when refilling the tank after we'd emptied it over a couple of weekends. I filled it all the way up and it was leaking like crazy into the bilge.

It's a 105 gallon aluminum tank - and has what I assume to be some kind of baffles on top as shown here:

http://www.bfsshop.com/Posts/DawnTreader/IMG_3135.JPG

So my question is this...any reason I shouldn't remove one or two of those covers and see what I can see at the bottom of the tank? My hunch is that it's corroded - but I would love to discover just a bad supply fitting on the bottom.

MobiusALilBitTwisted 08-04-2013 08:23 PM

I would do just that , i hope you find a lose hose clamp, and you are not going to have to line that thing.

Compass Marine's Photo Galleries at pbase.com remember this will be your friend, buy more tape.

capttb 08-04-2013 08:41 PM

Those would be inspection or cleanout plates smacky, the baffles would be inside the tank to prevent all the water from sloshing quickly from side to side, front to back. The pattern may suggest the tank is divided into quarters by baffles with a plate over each quarter. There are small openings in the baffles, you just don't want half a tank shifting all at once, creates a big shock load inside the tank.
105 gallons x 8.5 lbs. per gallon = 892.5 lbs. that's quite a water tank you got there.

Jiminri 08-04-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 1068931)
So my question is this...any reason I shouldn't remove one or two of those covers and see what I can see at the bottom of the tank? My hunch is that it's corroded - but I would love to discover just a bad supply fitting on the bottom.

Smack,
I would remove all the access plates to clean out the tank. I opened up the aluminum water tanks on my 1986 boat and found what looked like gravel inside. In reality, it was not gravel but aluminum salts or something like that. Anyway, I pulled out fist full after fist full of the stuff. Also, some gross slimy stuff. Then I dried the tanks and scrubbed them. I don't drink the water from the tanks, but I feel better about using it and there is less to clog the filters.

Good luck finding and fixing the leak. I hope both tasks are simple.

BTW, I think you have a really, really cool boat and I appreciate your sharing your thought process on finding and buying. Hope you have many great adventures with your fine crew.

Jim

boatpoker 08-04-2013 09:19 PM

Only 999,999 questions to go :)

Good luck with her.

smackdaddy 08-04-2013 09:39 PM

Thanks fellas. I'll dig in next weekend.

PS - any idea what that sealant at the plates should be when I put it back together?

ECS-IB30 08-04-2013 11:03 PM

Smack. ..see my earlier post to another thread...permatex aircraft sealant...stays flexible over time...great stuff..brush applicator in can...

night0wl 08-04-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 1068965)
Thanks fellas. I'll dig in next weekend.

PS - any idea what that sealant at the plates should be when I put it back together?

Id probably use 3M 4200.

smackdaddy 08-04-2013 11:24 PM

Whatever I use, I'd definitely like it to be safe for a drinking water tank.