6Likes
  • 2 Post By aeventyr60
  • 1 Post By svHyLyte
  • 1 Post By capttb
  • 2 Post By Omatako

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-06-2013 Thread Starter
HANUMAN

Inflatable floor rebuild, call me crazy.

Feel free to skip my drivel and go down to questions 1-4.

I have a nice Mercury Marine "Air Deck" inflatable. It's mostly Hypalon. I say mostly because the inflatable floor, or deck, is made of PVC.

Now the tubes, floor, etc are good quality and it motors nicely. I rather like it. However, I'm on my second inflatable floor. The first one first turned gooey, then start to sort of feel like thin cardboard before it stopped holding air.

My second floor (that I had to purchase) is going the same route.

Mercury Marine was shocked to find that my dink sits in a marina, with an outboard and a gas tank on it. Being exposed to possible drips from the tank and all that sunshine takes it's toll. They seem to think I should have kept it in the box, only taken it out at night and then massaged with cocobutter and put away before the sun came up.

I should have sprung for a RIB but I'm frugal. I don't care much about the weight. Oh well.

Sooooooo... Now I'm thinking of making a solid floor. It's important that the new floor be the same size and shape as the inflatable floor.

Things that enter my feeble mind:

1. Get some foam and try to carve out a floor in the same shape as the inflatable, then coat it with epoxy. Ala surfboard.

2. Get some two part foam and fill up the old floor with the slow leak and hope it takes the shape and I can simply use that. Possibly even then cut off the PVC and coat the hardened foam with resin.

3. Fill the old floor with some thickened resin and let it set up in an ice water bath so it won't melt the PVC whilst it cures.

4. One of you come up with a better idea.

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-06-2013

Re: Inflatable floor rebuild, call me crazy.

Make a new floor out of marine ply, light coat of epoxy and glass. 2 piece so you can take it apart...use some alloy extrusion from a window shop to attach the two boards together.
RobGallagher and jimgo like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-06-2013 Thread Starter
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Make a new floor out of marine ply, light coat of epoxy and glass. 2 piece so you can take it apart...use some alloy extrusion from a window shop to attach the two boards together.
I thought about wood. The problem is that the floor has to be nearly the same shape and thickness. It must sit in the same groove as it helps the structural strength/stiffness of the boat.

The wood would have to be a couple of inches thick with rounded edges.

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #4 of 10 Old 08-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
I thought about wood. The problem is that the floor has to be nearly the same shape and thickness. It must sit in the same groove as it helps the structural strength/stiffness of the boat.

The wood would have to be a couple of inches thick with rounded edges.
Not really.
Just double up the edge for about 2 inches and use a 3/4 round-over bit.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-07-2013

I was leaning toward the styrafoam with a coating, until i saw you drop something heavy in the bottom of the dingy.

Zen is a matter of recognizing reality.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-07-2013
Tartan 27' owner

I like the idea of using 2 pieces of plywood coated in epoxy for this application.
Probably last longer than the OEM flooring.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-07-2013
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
Feel free to skip my drivel and go down to questions 1-4.

I have a nice Mercury Marine "Air Deck" inflatable. It's mostly Hypalon. I say mostly because the inflatable floor, or deck, is made of PVC.

Now the tubes, floor, etc are good quality and it motors nicely. I rather like it. However, I'm on my second inflatable floor. The first one first turned gooey, then start to sort of feel like thin cardboard before it stopped holding air.

My second floor (that I had to purchase) is going the same route.

Mercury Marine was shocked to find that my dink sits in a marina, with an outboard and a gas tank on it. Being exposed to possible drips from the tank and all that sunshine takes it's toll. They seem to think I should have kept it in the box, only taken it out at night and then massaged with cocobutter and put away before the sun came up.

I should have sprung for a RIB but I'm frugal. I don't care much about the weight. Oh well.

Sooooooo... Now I'm thinking of making a solid floor. It's important that the new floor be the same size and shape as the inflatable floor.

Things that enter my feeble mind:

1. Get some foam and try to carve out a floor in the same shape as the inflatable, then coat it with epoxy. Ala surfboard.

2. Get some two part foam and fill up the old floor with the slow leak and hope it takes the shape and I can simply use that. Possibly even then cut off the PVC and coat the hardened foam with resin.

3. Fill the old floor with some thickened resin and let it set up in an ice water bath so it won't melt the PVC whilst it cures.

4. One of you come up with a better idea.
It would be wise to take a look at the West Marine SB-310 floor, made of interlocking floor boards. The boards interlock with H-shaped channels that run crosswise at the intersection of the edges of the boards with somewhat V shaped edge channels that run length wise along the edges of the boards and fit into the "slot" between the tubes and the boat's floor fabric. One can easily fabricate the H-Shaped channels with aluminum channel stock and could likely use the same material to fabricate the necessary edge channels. Alternately, I suspect you could purchase the edge channels as replacement parts from West Marine or another of the vendors of similar inflatables and simply fabricate the boards from 5/8" AA marine plywood coated with epoxy and painted yourself. Another alternative is to buy a replacement inflatable floor but make up a cover of Sunbrella in a darker color that will protect the enclosed floor. Simply insert the floor into the Sunbrella cover, close it up with a velcro flap along the edge at the stern, leave a round opening at the locations of the valves (and the valve to the keel tube and you'd be good to go. If the sun can't get to the floor at all, it should last quite awhile.

FWIW...
davidpm likes this.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #8 of 10 Old 08-08-2013
Barquito

I second the plywood with a coating of epoxy. Just build-up the edge to whatever thickness and shape is required. I took a cheap inflatable on our recent trip. I cut out a piece of 1/4 ply and rounded the edges. Took about 10 minutes. Worked well, but, I couldn't store it anywhere, so I tossed it.

Bristol 27
Cirque
post #9 of 10 Old 08-08-2013

Are you familiar with foam surfboards, SUP's or sometimes called "foamies" ? Anyway they are fairly inexpensive and the rigid but soft foam strikes me as a good material to replace an air floor. You'd need the right size and shape but it might be just a hot knife project.
I'm thinking of the ones that don't have a hard shell, like a boogie board or the old BIC surfboards.
RobGallagher likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-08-2013

Cut a two or even three-piece cardboard template of the bottom of the dink when it is fully inflated.

Cut a marine ply floor (thickness of your choice - mine is 16mm) that is 10mm smaller all round than the template.

Varnish the floor (or coat with epoxy, polyester resin whatever your choice is)

Split a piece of nylon hose of suitable diameter (mine is 20mm) all the way down the edge and glue it over the edge on the ply. Maybe fit the assembly into the dink before glueing just to be sure it will fit - getting the actual floor size exactly right can be troublesome.
RobGallagher and davidpm like this.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.