Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-07-2013

bblument is on a distinguished road
Anenometer calibration?

Howdy all...

I've got a Standard Horizon WS150 on my boat. The wind direction function seems to be approximately accurate, but the windspeed is way off. Either that, or I have nerves of steel, am an AWESOME sailor, and have no trouble even as a newbie sailing in winds up to 34 knots. Yeah... probably the calibration is off...

I found and downloaded the manual and I understand the calibration procedure, but it says to do it BEFORE mounting the transducer on the mast by connecting the transducer directly to the instrument display jack. Too late. It's up on the mast and I didn't know there was a problem until I actually used it. Does anyone know a way to recalibrate the device once it's already mounted?

The manual says that the windspeed is calibrated at the factory and usually doesn't need tweaking. Any ideas why it's reading... best guess... 1.5 to 2x the correct values?

Oh yeah.. my knotmeter is calibrated perfectly, too... I ROUTINELY bury it at the 10 knot max indication. How awesome am I? .

Thanks...

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Re: Anenometer calibration?

You have to go up the mast and do what the re-calibration instructions tell you. You will probably need two people so get the other guy to go up the mast. The other option is to take the transducer down.
Old 08-07-2013

redline is on a distinguished road

I had a Standard Horizon wind instrument on a previous boat, don't recall the exact model but yours sounds right. I do recall that the transducer connection on the display itself was the same four (or five?) pin connect used on the wind sensor, so one could plug the transducer arm directly into the display.

If this is your case, "all" you need to do is to remove both display and transducer from the boat, plug the transducer into the display, hook up a pair of wires from the 12V input to, say, a cigarette-lighter plug, and stick the arm out your car window. Find a quiet road and do a few runs back and forth at various speeds. Yes, I did this, though I have to admit it was before installing anything on the boat; I was curious how accurate it was - and the answer was pretty accurate.

Or, find a calm windless day and motor back and forth comparing knotmeter/gps with windspeed, though obviously this maxes out at hull speed.
Old 08-08-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Barry,
You are an awesome sailor!

No working anemometer on our boat. No working windex (direction) either. Not really needed. We still race and do fairly well.

You can see the gusts blowing over the water if you are looking upwind instead of at a display panel. Get a cheap hand held GPS for your speed over ground (SOG). Many GPS's have functions similar to a chart plotter.

Sure, you can recalibrate the anemometer and speedo, and you should, when you can. You don't really need them to sail.

You will be an even more awesome sailor when you get your new sails!

Best,
Caleb d

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
bblument (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblument View Post
Howdy all...

I've got a Standard Horizon WS150 on my boat. The wind direction function seems to be approximately accurate, but the windspeed is way off. Either that, or I have nerves of steel, am an AWESOME sailor, and have no trouble even as a newbie sailing in winds up to 34 knots. Yeah... probably the calibration is off...

I found and downloaded the manual and I understand the calibration procedure, but it says to do it BEFORE mounting the transducer on the mast by connecting the transducer directly to the instrument display jack. Too late. It's up on the mast and I didn't know there was a problem until I actually used it. Does anyone know a way to recalibrate the device once it's already mounted?

The manual says that the windspeed is calibrated at the factory and usually doesn't need tweaking. Any ideas why it's reading... best guess... 1.5 to 2x the correct values?

Oh yeah.. my knotmeter is calibrated perfectly, too... I ROUTINELY bury it at the 10 knot max indication. How awesome am I? .

Thanks...

Barry
There is no reason why you cannot calibrate the wind speed with the wand mounted at the masthead and it is the only way you can calibrate the direction indicator. The only reason you need to plug the unit in at the instrument is for the purpose of doing the linearization exercise (which I'm sure you did, right?). Otherwise, you would have to have someone at the mast head spinning the wind direction fly until the instrument makes a complete revolution, which takes some time.

As for calibrating wind speed, pick up one of the hand held wind speed instruments (they're cheap) and the next time you get a chance, anchor out on a moderate day. Set your instrument into the calibration mode and adjust the averaging and damping modes to factory defaults. Then have a helper stand on your foredeck, clear of the rigging, aim the handheld instrument into the wind and read aloud to you the wind speeds he/she is detecting on deck. Compare that with your instrument and adjust accordingly. For wind at the masthead verses on deck, you can safely add 1/2 knot, considering vertical wind shear near the water.

Calibrating the knot meter is no more difficult with a GPS. Find a patch of clear water with little traffic, set your engine to a moderate rpm and make a timed run, up current and then down current, recording the SOG on the GPS and indicated speed on the knot meter on each leg. Take the average of the SOG for each leg and compare it with the average of the indicated speed on the knot meter. The difference will be your adjustment.

The foregoing takes more time to describe than it does to do and isn't difficult.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 08-09-2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Correct typo
The Following User Says Thank You to svHyLyte For This Useful Post:
bblument (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
There is no reason why you cannot calibrate the wind speed with the wand mounted at the masthead and it is the only way you can calibrate the direction indicator. The only reason you need to plug the unit in at the instrument is for the purpose of doing the linearization exercise (which I'm sure you did, right?). Otherwise, you would have to have someone at the mast head spinning the wind direction fly until the instrument makes a complete revolution,

FWIW...
You can accomplish this by turning the boat through 360*, usually done by motoring in a circle.
Old 08-08-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
You can accomplish this by turning the boat through 360*, usually done by motoring in a circle.
Perhaps, but on the WS150 you'd have to make an awful lot of circles. BTDT.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-08-2013

Thanks for the reply, Caleb. I've been using the instruments primarily as verification for what I'm seeing and feeling; I'll look at the waves, ripples, textures, adjust my sails and heading accordingly, then glance at the wind and knot instruments to see if I interpreted what I saw correctly and got any extra speed. The fact that the calibrations of wind speed and knotmeter are way off, as you said, don't really matter. I just like stuff to work right, and it would be nice to know the actual speeds I'm making in what apparent winds.

My windex is toast, too... got bent when we put up the mast. Sometimes I think the only thing that works on my boat is me!

Best to ya,

Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Barry,
You are an awesome sailor!

No working anemometer on our boat. No working windex (direction) either. Not really needed. We still race and do fairly well.

You can see the gusts blowing over the water if you are looking upwind instead of at a display panel. Get a cheap hand held GPS for your speed over ground (SOG). Many GPS's have functions similar to a chart plotter.

Sure, you can recalibrate the anemometer and speedo, and you should, when you can. You don't really need them to sail.

You will be an even more awesome sailor when you get your new sails!

Best,
Caleb d

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Old 08-08-2013

Oh... and that part about me being an "awesome sailor".... I hope everyone caught the intense amount of sarcasm when I typed that the first time. Counting the first time I went out on my own and the last time, I've been out twice so far, not including the boats re-birth sail and training run with a very experienced friend of mine who taught me the bare minimum I needed to know to get started.

I'm an awesome sailor, alright... ... "Awe" as in "awful," and "some" as in "SOMEtimes the boat actually DOES do what I think it will, but not usually."

Thanks for the encouragement and tips. I don't know if the linearization procedure was done to the trandsducer; if it was, it was over six years ago, and probably wasn't done right. Nothing else has been... . I didn't do it because I didn't know about it. I'll try and recalibrate it using some of the great ideas you've all given in this thread next time I'm out at the boat.

Barry

Old 08-09-2013

redline is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
One thing: do NOT do this particular test on a windless or near-calm day. For some reason the wind direction is straight on the bow, no matter what the boat's heading (ask me how I know - one of my better (though mercifully harmless) "duh moments"). ;-)

Speed cal - no wind. Turning in circles - more wind than boatspeed.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.