Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-11-2004

wgwl13736 is on a distinguished road
$1800 head

hi,i was just given a qoute of $1800 to install a new head on a 27''coronado i just bought, over twice what i paid for her.can i get a pump toilet from one place,any holding tank from another place, and orient them physically in any configuration relative to each other so long as i connect hoses,a/s valves,etc properly? if so,it seems i could do all this for $200.thanks,frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2004

kablotsky is on a distinguished road
$1800 head

$1800 does sound high, but don''t underestimate the cost of doing the job right. For example, while some marine heads are very cheap, the ones that will last a few years cost more. If it doesn''t have a head already, you need to account for the materials and labor to install through-hulls and seacocks. Odor resistant hose is surprisingly expensive. You''ll need a pump and Y valve, and of course all the fittings, hoseclamps, etc. If you didn''t have a head already, you may have some woodwork and/or glasswork. You also need to consider the tank vent and vent lines, the pumpout hose and deck-connector fitting. Even the stainless hardware to bolt the head in place costs more than most would expect. You add it all up and you''ll probably still be short of $1800, but it isn''t likely to be as cheap as you think.

One thing working on my boat''s systems has taught me is that everything costs more and takes longer than I initially expect.

Oh, and I have put a new head in my boat too. Removing the old head and hose was one of the least pleasant jobs I''ve ever done, and if I had it to do all over again would happily pay someone else to do it.
Old 08-11-2004

$1800 head

hi kablotsky,thanks for all the great info, there certainly is a lot to consider.happily the thru-hulls and seacocks are there under the sink cabinet, and large holes in the cabinet on the side facing where i can put the head, leading me to think maybe one was there before. armed with what you told me i''ll watch ebay and pick up the items as they come available.thanks again,frank.
Old 08-11-2004

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
$1800 head

I''ll do the job for $1500.

You can do it for around $500.
Go to www.Ronco-Plastics.com to find your tank.
The Raritan Cricket has done me well for 2 years and was about $150. I bought the best hoses for around $100.

It was not an easy installlation, but it was around $5oo and is doing fine in it''s second year.

I did not do a through hull for wash water. Experiments showed me that added almost a half gallon to each flush. I simply rinse with cup of water after each flush and it seems to work well.

I have not had any solids go into my tank yet, so that may be a factor.

In my first year I could detect odor after pumpout, but tht has gone away.
Old 08-11-2004

$1800 head

Another option, if legal in your area, is a porta potti. You can buy one with a 3 or 5 gal tank. Avoid solids and the emtying process is not all that bad.
Old 08-12-2004

BarryL is on a distinguished road
$1800 head

Hello,

I changed the head on my boat. It took a few hours and was simple to do. The plumbing was all in place, all I had to was remove the connections to the head (2 hoses), remove the head (4 bolts), drill 4 holes to mount the new head, bolt it down, and connect the 2 hoses.

If you don''t have a holding tank or hoses it will be a lot more complicated, but it can still be done. If you have the thru-hull for water intake, and head pump out (if legal in your area) it will be a lot easier.

If you don''t have the thru hulls, I would just use a good porta potty.

Good luck,
Barry
Old 08-13-2004

$1800 head

guys,you are AWESOME!!! thanks for taking the time to answer silly questions from a green beginner,and i have another silly one.does the dockside pumpout station have its own pump or do i need to install one after the holding tank?thanks,frank
Old 08-15-2004

capttb is on a distinguished road
$1800 head

The dockside pump-out is a vacuum pump Frank, you do need to see that it seals fairly well in the fitting on your deck, the nozzle is usually a tapered rubber thing that seals pretty good.
Also, remove that cap at your dock first and be prepared to chisel it out and replace, they are often corroded (sp?) in place.
Thru hulls for flush water and macerator pump closed so you don''t suck seawater up thru tank from bottom.
Most boats have a "macerator" pump at the tank so you can pump the tank out into the ocean beyond the 3 mile limit, the pump grinds everything to size required. Some boats will have y-valve so waste can be directed to tank or direct to ocean. In some areas these must be fixed to direct to tank for environmental reasons.
Old 08-16-2004

$1800 head

thanks capttb for all that info.how did you know what my next two questions would be?thanks again.frank
Old 08-25-2004

$1800 head

One more idea. when I installed mine, I did a lot of work once the baot was in the water, so I was not able to put a thru hull in. I simply washed the bowl with a glass of water each time. That has worked well and I did not put a thru hull in over last winter''s storage.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.