Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013

tschmidty is on a distinguished road
Re: Minn Kota Endura C2 30 $99

FYI, you can get those U1 AGM 35AH batteries on Ebay for $65 shipped or so. At full throttle and if you are willing to run the battery all the way down (should really go 50%), you will get a bit over an hour with a 30lb thrust (roughly 1lb=1amp). I have verified this in the real world.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstuller View Post
I've been using the C30 on my inflatable for several months to get to my mooring and it has done fine. Am using a 35 AH U1 AGM battery. It's light weight (23#?) and and there's no acid to spill. Will soon experiment with a 15 watt panel from Harbor Freight (with a cheap controller) to see if it will keep the battery charged. Since the dink is idle most of the time hopefully the panel will save me the trouble of recharging the battery on shore. Thanks.
A 15 amp panel puts about 1 amp at peak sun. Around here that would mean 5 days to top off a 35 amp battery that was drawn below 50% of it's capacity (maybe 45 minutes of full throttle or 2-1/2 hours of 8 amp draw).

A 50 watt panel seems more practical for cruising. On my boat I think I'd charge it off an echo charger, then it could also be charged from the sailboat's alternator. This is sounding like a pretty good alternative to my 2hp Honda (which I have to run pretty close to idle speeds anyway). What does a salt water rated electric outboard cost?
Old 08-13-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
A 15 amp panel puts about 1 amp at peak sun. Around here that would mean 5 days to top off a 35 amp battery that was drawn below 50% of it's capacity (maybe 45 minutes of full throttle or 2-1/2 hours of 8 amp draw).

A 50 watt panel seems more practical for cruising. On my boat I think I'd charge it off an echo charger, then it could also be charged from the sailboat's alternator. This is sounding like a pretty good alternative to my 2hp Honda (which I have to run pretty close to idle speeds anyway). What does a salt water rated electric outboard cost?
The salt water motor is about $300.

At $99 the motor pretty much becomes a throw away, I've put more $$ than that into parts for the #$%@$% 3.5hp 2 stroke Tohatsu this season already.

The way I'm looking at is electric motors are improving by leaps and bounds. If I can get three seasons of light use out of the little sucker I'm ahead of the game and there will be something better/cheaper on the market when I'm ready to replace it.

I called Dick's today and they have one in stock. $15 more than Amazon but I can pick it up tonight and no shipping costs.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 08-13-2013

sstuller is on a distinguished road

I bought my Endura C30 on the WalMart website for $99.00. The real incentive was a shipping cost of 97 cents. Unbelieveable! Sometimes dreams do come true.
Old 08-14-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Went over to Dicks and bought the Minn Kota last night. I'll stop over at Batteries + and pick up a gel battery for the dingy and give it a try this weekend.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 08-14-2013

There you go. Let us know how it works for you.

Last edited by tschmidty; 08-14-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 08-16-2013

Since I can't seem to find the motor voltages at various speed settings for the Endura C30 I would like to post a logical(?) approach, At full speed - #5- it is 12 volts and draws 30 amps max.; At #4 it is 6 volts and 15 amps; #3 is 4 volts and 10 amps; #2 is 3 volts and 7.5 amps; and #1 is 2 volts and 5 amps. The voltage and current ratios are 1; 1/2; 1/3; 1/4; and 1/6. Am I being reasonable? Thanks.
Old 08-16-2013

Well, the voltage will stay the same but but your amp numbers are close-ish. But even at that the amps will vary depending on the load on the motor at a given setting. Are you just trying to figure out range?
Old 08-16-2013

I would like to know the amps at the various speeds so I can figure out how long the 35 AH battery will last. The Arizona Wind & Sun website gives the specs on the Universal 35AH battery i.e. how long it will last at various amp draws. The total voltage drop is always 12 volts. At the fastest speed all the drop is across the motor but as you increase the resistance with the speed coil the voltage left for the motor becomes less and less. Since the circuit is effectively a constant voltage device, as you increase the resistance with the speed coil the current must decrease i. e. E(12 volts) = IR. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

When I bought my trolling motor for my dinghy I looked at the FW and SW models and the difference in price led me to the FW model. Then I put one of these

Minn Kota Endura C2 30 -zinc2.jpg

on the shaft. Now I have a SW model. So far no corrosion!!

Also could have used

Minn Kota Endura C2 30 -zinc1.jpg
shadowraiths likes this.