Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Minn Kota Endura C2 30 $99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstuller View Post
I would like to know the amps at the various speeds so I can figure out how long the 35 AH battery will last. The Arizona Wind & Sun website gives the specs on the Universal 35AH battery i.e. how long it will last at various amp draws. The total voltage drop is always 12 volts. At the fastest speed all the drop is across the motor but as you increase the resistance with the speed coil the voltage left for the motor becomes less and less. Since the circuit is effectively a constant voltage device, as you increase the resistance with the speed coil the current must decrease i. e. E(12 volts) = IR. Thanks.
When you figure it out post those run times.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
when i bought my trolling motor for my dinghy i looked at the fw and sw models and the difference in price led me to the fw model. Then i put one of these

Attachment 15278

on the shaft. Now i have a sw model. so far no corrosion!!

Also could have used

Attachment 15277
+1

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 06-14-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Any updates on battery performance with this motor? How about sources and specs for zincs to make it more saltwater resistant?

I bought the same 30 lb. motor in April 2013 for $80 after rebate. I used it a couple times last year (in fresh water), and considering taking it into the Chespeake in a couple weeks. Last year I used an extra Group 24 battery that I have in the basement. But that was way more capacity than I needed, and way too much weight to lug on/off the dinghy. So I've been looking at 22-35 Ah, I'd actually prefer to stay down around 22 Ah for the lighter weight.

Suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 06-15-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

I use a 76 AH Agm for my 55lb thrust Riptide and have run for 5 or 6 hours without a problem.

Zincs should not be necessary - just tip the motor out of the water when not in use. My Riptide has a zinc but next time I would try an Endura..
Old 06-15-2014
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road

Have people found that this motor dies when used in sw? If so buying one for this purpose would just contribute to our general trash problem and seems like a bad idea, however attractive it seems in the short term.

On the other hand if attaching a zinc or other approaches makes it work - awesome!

Any long term experiences out there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-15-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

The motors are sealed, whether the fresh or salt water versions. The zinc is only effective when the motor is in the water. If tipped up when not in use no problem.

Many I know use the fresh water (Enduro) is salt water without a problem.
Old 06-16-2014

P35juniper is on a distinguished road

I'm using a c2 30 this year to push a 12 foot dinghy ( had a c2 40, they don't like being under saltwater, lasted two years before getting dropped, battery cable saved it from going to the bottom ) running it off Ryobi 4ah LiFePO4 batteries, runs for about 15-20 minutes so far, my mooring is about 1/4 mile from the dock. Now I just need to take a dead tool and cut the battery well off and glue it to the top of the motor.
Brewgyver likes this.
Old 06-20-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I've read a bunch of the linked info on battery drain of the C2 30, and went and looked at some 18, 22, 32, and 35 Ah SLA batteries. My brain hurts.

For my upcoming mini-cruise, I'm just going to use the Group 24 battery that I've had in the basement for a few years. I've got a perfectly matched pair of them hooked up in parallel to a sump pump. I'll take both of them to the boat, and move the current boat battery to the sump pump in my house.

I may need the extra battery capacity on the hook, so I'll keep both Group 24 batteries charging in parallel on the alternator while motoring. If/when I actually use the dinghy, I'll move it there. It's a pain lugging that big battery, but until I have a better idea how far I need to travel with the dinghy, I want the overkill of a 105 Ah. And if I don't use the dinghy, the extra capacity of having both batteries may come in handy.

After I have a better idea of my usage pattern of the trolling motor, I'll be better able to properly size a battery for it.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)