SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Splash day is almost here.

720 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  katsailor 
#1 ·
I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel following an extensive mechanical refit on the boat I purchased in February. The next phase will be the cabin restoration, including port lights. I have an enormous feeling of accomplishment and have done almost all of the work myself.

Wash all diesel exhaust soot from boat - done
Clean, clean clean-done
pull engine, trans and prop with boat in water - done
tow boat 15 miles to boatyard - done
Sails to sail maker for cleaning/repair - done
Haul boat - done
Rebuild shaft log and fix cracked hull - done
Replace missing worn out cutlass bearing - done
new stuffing box - done
new bottom job - done
clean hull and clear coat - almost done
replace coolant, fuel, exhaust hoses - done
install new controls, engine, trans shaft and prop - almost done
replace all thru hulls/sea cocks with new - done
remove old sanitation system hoses (yuck) - done
install new blocks and running rigging - almost done
replace bad section of sole - finish in slip
hang sails- open
splash boat - 8/16

See less See more
#4 ·
Time for an update, since it has been a while.

Shakti has been back in the water since last August. I just installed the new (correct) prop and saw an amazing 8 kts at full throttle this week.
I finally hoisted my main after having both sails repaired and washed and found that after several repairs the main sail is now 4-5 feet short of the top of the mast. That and the PITA of the antiquated Hood Sto-boom configuraiton makes we want to return to a simple set-up that is easier on my pocket. Replacing the boom furling systems with new including sails is simply cost prohibitive for this vessel. I have had no success in locating a source for the original wishboom configuration but am considering a return to a boom mounted to the mast setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.