Next generation Raymarine pilots - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-13-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 530
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 8
GBurton is on a distinguished road
Next generation Raymarine pilots

I'm wondering if there are any forum users who have tried the new generation Raymarine autopilots. The sales blurb is very attractive with no calibration required and autolearn characteristics that will steer the boat better than ever.
I'm specifically interested in the T70153 package and also the T70158.
Thanks for any feedback
HernandoBeacher likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 08-14-2013
dvuyxx's Avatar
s/v Tiger Lily
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC - Annapolis
Posts: 544
Thanks: 44
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 6
dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Re: Next generation Raymarine pilots

We installed a new wheel pilot w p70 head the other week and literally the day after our parts were delivered I saw this new "Evolution" system. It's all hydraulic but the price seems attractive. But I think the price varies depending if you need the larger or smaller of the two models you mentioned. New toys! Our local outfitter wasn't familiar with this new system when I asked them about it. It might be too new and untested until more people guinea pig it.
__________________
David
Severna Park, MD
Pearson 35 - s/v Tiger Lily
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 08-14-2013
night0wl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,397
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 9
night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: Next generation Raymarine pilots

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
I'm wondering if there are any forum users who have tried the new generation Raymarine autopilots. The sales blurb is very attractive with no calibration required and autolearn characteristics that will steer the boat better than ever.
I'm specifically interested in the T70153 package and also the T70158.
Thanks for any feedback
All this calibration stuff aside, I think all they did was replace the fast heading compass with a 9 way fluxgate compass.

I'm not overly impressed by that other stuff. My old ST series autopilot works fine. Now if they'd worked on the stupid wheel drive to make it more robust and quiet, I'd be throwing them my money.
olson34 likes this.
__________________
S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 08-14-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: new england
Posts: 1,620
Thanks: 31
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 2
outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Next generation Raymarine pilots

Be careful. Be very, very careful..........Think this true for RM,G, B+G etc.
Blew a ton of hard earned money on Raymarine for the new boat. Problem is the company farms out their warranty service to regional reps. If you haven't bought the stuff from the house that is designated as the warranty rep. they potentially feel little obligation to help you out creating a potential horror show. Their products are excellent but in my opinion they try to put new stuff out as quickly as possible. This means there is a increased chance they haven't worked out the software bugs and may not until months/years have passed. They are good about updates but it's a PIA to keep tract when updates are available and downloading them and sticking them in.
As regards their autopilots, they're good but wonder if the weak link is the rudder angle sensor. If going offshore with either long arm or short arm system would give thought to buying extra arm and rudder angle sensor to take along. Rest of prior system pretty strong once software bugs worked out.
As regards new system- if I was in the market would wait until enough in the field to know it was good.
__________________
s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 08-14-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
GobSpeed is on a distinguished road
Re: Next generation Raymarine pilots

Commercial Post Deleted

Last edited by tdw; 08-14-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 08-14-2013
dvuyxx's Avatar
s/v Tiger Lily
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC - Annapolis
Posts: 544
Thanks: 44
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 6
dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Re: Next generation Raymarine pilots

Uh oh. Moderator?
__________________
David
Severna Park, MD
Pearson 35 - s/v Tiger Lily
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 08-14-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 530
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 8
GBurton is on a distinguished road
Re: Next generation Raymarine pilots

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
All this calibration stuff aside, I think all they did was replace the fast heading compass with a 9 way fluxgate compass.

I'm not overly impressed by that other stuff. My old ST series autopilot works fine. Now if they'd worked on the stupid wheel drive to make it more robust and quiet, I'd be throwing them my money.
Its much more than just a fluxgate compass as far as I can tell. Roll, pitch,rate and yaw are also output.

Last edited by GBurton; 08-14-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 08-14-2013
night0wl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,397
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 9
night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: Next generation Raymarine pilots

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
Its much more than just a fluxgate compass as far as I can tell. Roll, pitch,rate and yaw are also output.

So this makes a difference on a powerboat much more than a sailboat. 9 out of 10 times, I set my autopilot to a wind direction (i'm sailing)...then I periodically course correct (but adjusting sail trim and course) if I'm heading too far away from waypoint.

I rarely, if ever, set my autopilot to go to a waypoint and barge to it. This may be useful for all those motor-cruisers or cruisers that hardly ever sail (what the dirty secret of cruising...you use your engine more than the sails)....but for me, it isn't that useful an evolution.

Now if they'd said that the new head unit speaks much more frequently to the wind instruments and adapts to your boats go/no-go zones and optimal speeeds under various point of sail...then i'd be saying "cool"

I do like that it communicates more frequently for MARPA/radar targets, but I doubt my last gen Raymarine radar and plotter can take advantage of it (no Seatalk NG). If I were greenfield building a new electronics package for a new boat order maybe.

But nothing here to compel me to upgrade (like Simrads 3g/4g radar).
__________________
S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343

Last edited by night0wl; 08-14-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 08-14-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 530
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 8
GBurton is on a distinguished road
Re: Next generation Raymarine pilots

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
So this makes a difference on a powerboat much more than a sailboat. 9 out of 10 times, I set my autopilot to a wind direction (i'm sailing)...then I periodically course correct (but adjusting sail trim and course) if I'm heading too far away from waypoint.

I rarely, if ever, set my autopilot to go to a waypoint and barge to it. This may be useful for all those motor-cruisers or cruisers that hardly ever sail (what the dirty secret of cruising...you use your engine more than the sails)....but for me, it isn't that useful an evolution.

Now if they'd said that the new head unit speaks much more frequently to the wind instruments and adapts to your boats go/no-go zones and optimal speeeds under various point of sail...then i'd be saying "cool"

I do like that it communicates more frequently for MARPA/radar targets, but I doubt my last gen Raymarine radar and plotter can take advantage of it (no Seatalk NG). If I were greenfield building a new electronics package for a new boat order maybe.

But nothing here to compel me to upgrade (like Simrads 3g/4g radar).
Actually, it will make a big difference when sailing to the apparent wind as well. The pilot will not make unnecessary corrections due to heel or pitch resulting in slowing the boat down due to unnecessary rudder action.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 08-16-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pacific Palisades, CA
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Christian Williams is on a distinguished road
Re: Next generation Raymarine pilots

Here's a long blog entry on the SPX-5 P70 wheel pilot installation, with a video demo of the installed unit in action:

Installing the Raymarine SPX-5 Wheel Pilot with P70 Control Head--Part 1 - Blogs - EY.o Information Exchange

BLOG TEMPORARILY OUT OF SERVICE AFTER ERICSON FORUM HACKED BY VANDALS.

Last edited by Christian Williams; 09-16-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tiller pilots maru657 Gear & Maintenance 0 04-26-2011 10:15 AM
Do you tip launch pilots? CLucas General Discussion (sailing related) 9 03-24-2008 03:21 PM
Tiller Pilots fafeagin1 General Discussion (sailing related) 2 07-23-2003 02:50 PM
Using Wheel Pilots Mark Matthews Cruising Articles 0 08-18-2002 08:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:38 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.