Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013

GBurton is on a distinguished road
Next generation Raymarine pilots

I'm wondering if there are any forum users who have tried the new generation Raymarine autopilots. The sales blurb is very attractive with no calibration required and autolearn characteristics that will steer the boat better than ever.
I'm specifically interested in the T70153 package and also the T70158.
Thanks for any feedback
HernandoBeacher likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Re: Next generation Raymarine pilots

We installed a new wheel pilot w p70 head the other week and literally the day after our parts were delivered I saw this new "Evolution" system. It's all hydraulic but the price seems attractive. But I think the price varies depending if you need the larger or smaller of the two models you mentioned. New toys! Our local outfitter wasn't familiar with this new system when I asked them about it. It might be too new and untested until more people guinea pig it.
Old 08-14-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
I'm wondering if there are any forum users who have tried the new generation Raymarine autopilots. The sales blurb is very attractive with no calibration required and autolearn characteristics that will steer the boat better than ever.
I'm specifically interested in the T70153 package and also the T70158.
Thanks for any feedback
All this calibration stuff aside, I think all they did was replace the fast heading compass with a 9 way fluxgate compass.

I'm not overly impressed by that other stuff. My old ST series autopilot works fine. Now if they'd worked on the stupid wheel drive to make it more robust and quiet, I'd be throwing them my money.
olson34 likes this.
Old 08-14-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Be careful. Be very, very careful..........Think this true for RM,G, B+G etc.
Blew a ton of hard earned money on Raymarine for the new boat. Problem is the company farms out their warranty service to regional reps. If you haven't bought the stuff from the house that is designated as the warranty rep. they potentially feel little obligation to help you out creating a potential horror show. Their products are excellent but in my opinion they try to put new stuff out as quickly as possible. This means there is a increased chance they haven't worked out the software bugs and may not until months/years have passed. They are good about updates but it's a PIA to keep tract when updates are available and downloading them and sticking them in.
As regards their autopilots, they're good but wonder if the weak link is the rudder angle sensor. If going offshore with either long arm or short arm system would give thought to buying extra arm and rudder angle sensor to take along. Rest of prior system pretty strong once software bugs worked out.
As regards new system- if I was in the market would wait until enough in the field to know it was good.
Old 08-14-2013

GobSpeed is on a distinguished road

Commercial Post Deleted

Last edited by tdw; 08-14-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-14-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Uh oh. Moderator?
Old 08-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
All this calibration stuff aside, I think all they did was replace the fast heading compass with a 9 way fluxgate compass.

I'm not overly impressed by that other stuff. My old ST series autopilot works fine. Now if they'd worked on the stupid wheel drive to make it more robust and quiet, I'd be throwing them my money.
Its much more than just a fluxgate compass as far as I can tell. Roll, pitch,rate and yaw are also output.

Last edited by GBurton; 08-14-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-14-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
Its much more than just a fluxgate compass as far as I can tell. Roll, pitch,rate and yaw are also output.

So this makes a difference on a powerboat much more than a sailboat. 9 out of 10 times, I set my autopilot to a wind direction (i'm sailing)...then I periodically course correct (but adjusting sail trim and course) if I'm heading too far away from waypoint.

I rarely, if ever, set my autopilot to go to a waypoint and barge to it. This may be useful for all those motor-cruisers or cruisers that hardly ever sail (what the dirty secret of cruising...you use your engine more than the sails)....but for me, it isn't that useful an evolution.

Now if they'd said that the new head unit speaks much more frequently to the wind instruments and adapts to your boats go/no-go zones and optimal speeeds under various point of sail...then i'd be saying "cool"

I do like that it communicates more frequently for MARPA/radar targets, but I doubt my last gen Raymarine radar and plotter can take advantage of it (no Seatalk NG). If I were greenfield building a new electronics package for a new boat order maybe.

But nothing here to compel me to upgrade (like Simrads 3g/4g radar).

Last edited by night0wl; 08-14-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
So this makes a difference on a powerboat much more than a sailboat. 9 out of 10 times, I set my autopilot to a wind direction (i'm sailing)...then I periodically course correct (but adjusting sail trim and course) if I'm heading too far away from waypoint.

I rarely, if ever, set my autopilot to go to a waypoint and barge to it. This may be useful for all those motor-cruisers or cruisers that hardly ever sail (what the dirty secret of cruising...you use your engine more than the sails)....but for me, it isn't that useful an evolution.

Now if they'd said that the new head unit speaks much more frequently to the wind instruments and adapts to your boats go/no-go zones and optimal speeeds under various point of sail...then i'd be saying "cool"

I do like that it communicates more frequently for MARPA/radar targets, but I doubt my last gen Raymarine radar and plotter can take advantage of it (no Seatalk NG). If I were greenfield building a new electronics package for a new boat order maybe.

But nothing here to compel me to upgrade (like Simrads 3g/4g radar).
Actually, it will make a big difference when sailing to the apparent wind as well. The pilot will not make unnecessary corrections due to heel or pitch resulting in slowing the boat down due to unnecessary rudder action.
Old 08-16-2013

Christian Williams is on a distinguished road

Here's a long blog entry on the SPX-5 P70 wheel pilot installation, with a video demo of the installed unit in action:

Installing the Raymarine SPX-5 Wheel Pilot with P70 Control Head--Part 1 - Blogs - EY.o Information Exchange

BLOG TEMPORARILY OUT OF SERVICE AFTER ERICSON FORUM HACKED BY VANDALS.

Last edited by Christian Williams; 09-16-2013 at 07:03 PM.