Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-14-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Mounting ST winches - where to point the arms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
Thanks Andrew - I have a paper copy that came in the box with the winches (although it's still absurdly faint). Basically looks like the port winch arm should point around 110-120 degrees, and the starboard around 290-300 degrees.
Anyway, nice looking winch, feels really solid and very well made. And shiny. Mmmmm, shiny.
No problem but if you do want the blow ups, they are distinctly darker and clearer than the original documentation, just drop me a line with your email address.

I'm glad you have the all stainless version. Unfortunately ours are the version with a plastic cover over the ST jaws and these are quite simply effing useless. I replaced the covers two years ago but noticed last week they are already starting to collapse. I'd retrofit the all stainless but I fear that will mean a completely new drum.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Yep, they had the all stainless at the same price as the partial stainless ones, seemed a no-brainer to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-14-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Yep, they had the all stainless at the same price as the partial stainless ones, seemed a no-brainer to me.
For the life of me I cannot understand why the plastic in the first place. I guess maybe in colder climes it stands up to UV OK but why, when you are paying all that money for stainless steel winches do you try and save a couple of bob by using plastic drum covers.

(bob = slang for an English shilling.)

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 08-15-2013

Who knows, I think there's a couple of hundred bucks different between the full stainless and the not-quite-full stainless ones.
Oh and I know what a bob is, I'm from the place that sent you folks down there in the first place

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-15-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Who knows, I think there's a couple of hundred bucks different between the full stainless and the not-quite-full stainless ones.
Oh and I know what a bob is, I'm from the place that sent you folks down there in the first place
That is at it may be but not all that many inhabitants of the American continent speak something approximating the queen's english .... despite what they may think.

Old 08-15-2013

Indeed, I have a bugger of a time understanding them most of the time, and when I do I usually despair of the mess they make of it. I'm English born and raised, only moved to this part of the world about 6 years ago, hence the Red Ensign in my signature.

Old 08-15-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
That is at it may be but not all that many inhabitants of the American continent speak something approximating the queen's english .... despite what they may think.
If you are in Canada they generally do - and a much more intelligible version than emanates from the underworld in most cases.

For a REALLY butchered and unintelligible hash of the language you need to visit the mother country - pretty well anywhere North of London. The inhabitants of that green & pleasant land are seldom capable of speaking their own language in a way that can be understood by anyone born more than 100 miles from the speaker.

Diction and elocution are two words that have disappeared into the mists of history there.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 08-15-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-15-2013

Not just north of London, go west for another language entirely (and I don't mean Welsh). I do fear however that we are digressing somewhat from the correct orientation of stripping arms on self tailing winches

Old 08-15-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

As you trim using the ST the sheet falls off and pools below the stripper arm, so it should be located where you want the sheet to come off the winch.
Old 08-15-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

One must admit that understanding the mother tongue when spoken by many a Brit (including Ireland for the example) is harder than understanding some Australians.

Anywho ... we have strayed.

Thankfully SF actually answered the OP.