SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Mounting ST winches - where to point the arms?

9K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  PaulinVictoria 
#1 ·
As above really, my shiny new STs arrived and they have fixed arms so I have to mount them in the right place first time. The instructions give some suggestions as to the orientation, and some online places suggest pointing them at the person operating the winch.
Thoughts before I start drilling holes in my boat?

#2 ·
read the manual, some winches are oriented for the direction of the sheet lead in direction for the max strength of the bolt pattern and then the arm is located so the sheet will lead into the cockpit. the arm is usually on the left side of the winch as you tail the line

#3 ·
The stripper arm should be at 5:00 o'clock to the person grinding. Also, the stripper arms generally are sleeved into the drum so by lifting the drum up off the splines it can be reoriented. Some winches like Lewmars have the stripper splined separately so that is all you have to adjust.

To mount the winches you want the idler gear to be facing the line as it enters the winch. Once bolted down, adjust the stripper arm as described and you're done.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Nope, the stripper arm mounts into 3 screw holes in the base assembly (15) on the diagram, so it's fixed in relation to the base. From page one:

"IMPORTANT
On the 28ST the self-tailing arm (2) is fixed in one position.
Ensure correct positioning of the self-tailing arm, before marking the bolt holes."
There's a very, very faint diagram on page 2 (I have to tilt my screen to be able to see it) that shows their suggestion of the arm positions, but what I don't know is if that's because that is where the grinder would typically be in relation to the winch, or whether that's the position to allow the sheet to tail into the cockpit, loading on the winch etc. If the latter, then fair enough, if the former, well, I mostly sail alone so I'd want then more orientated to the stern where I am :)

#7 ·
Consider the angle that you will pull on the sheet because before you can use the self tailing you need some tension on the sheet so you may be pulling the sheet in with it in the tailing cleat. even though you single hand you will have crew on some days and if you are to the rear of the winch the crew may need to pull more from forward of the winch. pulling across the arm does not work well. the instructions seems to be placing it a about 7 o'clock to the operator. mine are about 8 o'clock because the sheet tailer is forward of the winch but still works fine when tailing from the aft position

#8 ·
Paul is correct. the only way you can change the alignment of the ST Arm is by altering the position of the winch base itself. We have Anderson 28STs and 52STs. On the 52s you can position the arm as you wish , within reason, but not on the smaller size.

Paul, if it would be of any help I have copies of the instructions that are much more legible than the absurdly small print of the online version. Let me know if you want and I'll send them to you.

Andrew B

#9 ·
Generally, it is wise to have the stripper arms pointed toward one another across the width of the cockpit. In such manner, the sheets "unload" from the grips into the cockpit and allow one--or a tailer- to keep a good grasp on the sheets, locking them into the grips on the tops of the winches, without interfering with the person (perhaps oneself) grinding the winch. In any case, once you've got the things installed, make a habit of adding an additional "safety wrap" on the winch once you think you've got the sheet(s) trimmed up to ensure that it isn't knocked free of the grips by a clumsy crew moving about in the cockpit. That eventuality can create a very inopportune "Cluster Flock" at the most inconvenient times. BTDT...

#10 ·
Thanks Andrew - I have a paper copy that came in the box with the winches (although it's still absurdly faint). Basically looks like the port winch arm should point around 110-120 degrees, and the starboard around 290-300 degrees.
Anyway, nice looking winch, feels really solid and very well made. And shiny. Mmmmm, shiny.

#11 ·
No problem but if you do want the blow ups, they are distinctly darker and clearer than the original documentation, just drop me a line with your email address.

I'm glad you have the all stainless version. Unfortunately ours are the version with a plastic cover over the ST jaws and these are quite simply effing useless. I replaced the covers two years ago but noticed last week they are already starting to collapse. I'd retrofit the all stainless but I fear that will mean a completely new drum.

#13 ·
For the life of me I cannot understand why the plastic in the first place. I guess maybe in colder climes it stands up to UV OK but why, when you are paying all that money for stainless steel winches do you try and save a couple of bob by using plastic drum covers.

(bob = slang for an English shilling.)

#15 ·
That is at it may be but not all that many inhabitants of the American continent speak something approximating the queen's english .... despite what they may think. :eek: :eek:

#16 ·
Indeed, I have a bugger of a time understanding them most of the time, and when I do I usually despair of the mess they make of it. I'm English born and raised, only moved to this part of the world about 6 years ago, hence the Red Ensign in my signature.

#20 ·
One must admit that understanding the mother tongue when spoken by many a Brit (including Ireland for the example) is harder than understanding some Australians.

Anywho ... we have strayed.

Thankfully SF actually answered the OP.

#21 ·
Reminds me of the semi-custom 45-footer that a friend had built at a yard with a fairly doof reputation. Four self-tailing winches in the cockpit, all installed with the tailing arms installed in the exact smae orientation, relative to the boat. Which made the portside ones just fine, and the starboard sides ones totally useless.

From which one might learn that "the right way" is a mirror image, not an identical position, on the opposite sides of the boat.

#22 ·
Well, I removed the old winches, filled the holes, drilled new holes and fitted the new winches today. The port side arm points at about 120degrees, the starboard about 300 degrees. Basically how the instructions said. Seems OK like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.